Free agents to sign, Rumors etc

10 hours ago, xen said:

Iosivas is an all american in heptathalon and the best ivy league player this year. Amazing athlete with size, speed, separation and explosion.  Attacks the ball and great hands.  Excellent rac as well.  I have no idea where he goes.  Profile suggests 2nd round but level of competition says day 3.  Smart player as well.

Kelce made his first nfl catch at age 25.  Not concerned about 23.

I've read about him.  I would not at all be unhappy about picking him in the lower rounds.

23 hours ago, SEMO said:

I don't know why people worry about age so much.  Only a small percentage of draftees get a second contract from the team that drafted them.  And that is usually 1st or second rounders.  Teams have their core group of players they extend and they build around that.  A prospect that will be 24 during their rookie season will be 28 at the end of their rookie contract.  Not a big deal.  

I strongly disagree and stats prove that out.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/nfl-draft-success-by-age/

Also if that player did develop into a foundational player you don't see the downside of giving a 28 year old a big 4 year contract as opposed to a guy that would be 26?  I understand that many won't see that 2nd contract but if you are taking the time to develop them into a player and you are spending the draft capital on them to potentially fill a roll on your team then it does matter.   This also doesn't account for the fact that a 24 year old should be dominating at the college level and is already closer to their physical prime than a 21 year old.  There is more room for growth than a 24 year old.   Add in the fact he plays for a smaller school and while he tests off the charts its a big hill for him to climb.

Just my opinion though.

28 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I strongly disagree and stats prove that out.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/nfl-draft-success-by-age/

Also if that player did develop into a foundational player you don't see the downside of giving a 28 year old a big 4 year contract as opposed to a guy that would be 26?  I understand that many won't see that 2nd contract but if you are taking the time to develop them into a player and you are spending the draft capital on them to potentially fill a roll on your team then it does matter.   This also doesn't account for the fact that a 24 year old should be dominating at the college level and is already closer to their physical prime than a 21 year old.  There is more room for growth than a 24 year old.   Add in the fact he plays for a smaller school and while he tests off the charts its a big hill for him to climb.

Just my opinion though.

That article lost me right around the time they started talking about how much better Justin Herbert was than Joe Burrow.

More talented prospects are more likely to come out early and get taken higher.  Higher drafted prospects are more likely to get a 2nd contract.  Yet the bust rate is still high for even high draft picks.

And none of this takes into account the current post covid classes that lost a year as it was written in 2016.  

As well, applying statistical analysis to 1 individual player doesn't really tell you much.

My plan is as good as any.

Step 1: Draft Andrei Iosivas

Step 2: ... ... ...

Step 3: Profit

2 hours ago, xen said:

That article lost me right around the time they started talking about how much better Justin Herbert was than Joe Burrow.

More talented prospects are more likely to come out early and get taken higher.  Higher drafted prospects are more likely to get a 2nd contract.  Yet the bust rate is still high for even high draft picks.

And none of this takes into account the current post covid classes that lost a year as it was written in 2016.  

As well, applying statistical analysis to 1 individual player doesn't really tell you much.

So, professor, what round do you see him being taken? 

6 hours ago, xen said:

I was merely commenting on SEMO's statement that age is no big deal when in fact statistically it is to the NFL. Of course you can't apply general statistics to one player as there are always outliers.  His age and where he played will factor into his profile.  Fair or not.   In my original post that might be a blessing for us as it will push him down probably 4-5 round (maybe 3rd) past a guy like Mingo who is a similar comparable player.  Getting a talented guy lower isn't a bad thing, but drafting and developing a younger player is generally better and produces better results.  

Honest question.  When did he pop up on your radar?  Game film or after athletic testing?   Curious.  Because I had never heard of him (nor am I scout or even avid game film junky) before the testing.  

11 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I was merely commenting on SEMO's statement that age is no big deal when in fact statistically it is to the NFL. Of course you can't apply general statistics to one player as there are always outliers.  His age and where he played will factor into his profile.  Fair or not.   In my original post that might be a blessing for us as it will push him down probably 4-5 round (maybe 3rd) past a guy like Mingo who is a similar comparable player.  Getting a talented guy lower isn't a bad thing, but drafting and developing a younger player is generally better and produces better results.  

Honest question.  When did he pop up on your radar?  Game film or after athletic testing?   Curious.  Because I had never heard of him (nor am I scout or even avid game film junky) before the testing.  

Senior bowl practice is where he showed up for me.  

I have no idea where he goes.  I said before the athletic profile says 2nd round.  We saw a very similar athletic profile from the FCS go 2nd round last year.  I don't think he does as he does not appear to have the same hype (though he should)... but some food for thought:

download (2) (19).jpeg

On 4/15/2023 at 4:59 PM, jetlord said:

He had a period of several games where he had the drops, but in general, I thought he caught pretty well.

His drop rate of 14.7% would have been worst in the league if he had enough catches to qualify. 

Corey Bradford has the career worst catch rate in the history of the NFL at 45.7%. Justin just did 44.1%.  

I like the guy, but he had a bad year catching the ball. 

46 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

His drop rate of 14.7% would have been worst in the league if he had enough catches to qualify. 

Corey Bradford has the career worst catch rate in the history of the NFL at 45.7%. Justin just did 44.1%.  

I like the guy, but he had a bad year catching the ball. 

Aaannd his contract is nuts for a WR his age....

I would love Dhop, but damn his salary is crazy. I would wait to see if he gets cut, if so I would go hard after him..

8 minutes ago, artsy said:

I would love Dhop, but damn his salary is crazy. I would wait to see if he gets cut, if so I would go hard after him..

I’m just antsy and want to see something happen!  I’m not convinced Veach isn’t just lucky thus far.  It’s hard to let the long game play out.  Ask me how I feel when we win another superbowl though…

It comes down to dollars for D-Hop and how that plays into an extension for Chris Jones-the TOP Priority.

If D-Hop  really wants to be in KC, the deal can get done. 

Also, after 50 years of ineptitude, Veach has proven he is the right guy to be running the ship with Andy and Pat.

Hosting the annual AFC Playoff Tournament for 5 Years, 3 SB's and 2 Lombardi's barely put him over Jack Steadman.....lol

w

2 hours ago, artsy said:

He will get cut. If DHop wants to be here, he'll take a restructured contract that makes him 'look good' but is affordable long term. The dude wants a SB, and his current team will never get there as long as his potential team is in their conference. I could see a 2 year contract with incentives like JuJu... having him for a season or two would be HUGE for the offense.

8 minutes ago, mex said:

He will get cut. If DHop wants to be here, he'll take a restructured contract that makes him 'look good' but is affordable long term. The dude wants a SB, and his current team will never get there as long as his potential team is in their conference. I could see a 2 year contract with incentives like JuJu... having him for a season or two would be HUGE for the offense.

He has already stated he will rework his contract.