Free agents to sign, Rumors etc

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

He has already stated he will rework his contract. 

If the Cards cut him, how much does he walk away with?  How about post 6/1?  He's due about $35 million over the next two years.  How much is guaranteed?  All these questions might determine his cost if he signs on with a contender after being cut.  Another question is how much of Hopkins' salary would AZ be willing to eat if the Chiefs traded a fourth for him?  Interesting times. 

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

If the Cards cut him, how much does he walk away with?  How about post 6/1?  He's due about $35 million over the next two years.  How much is guaranteed?  All these questions might determine his cost if he signs on with a contender after being cut.  Another question is how much of Hopkins' salary would AZ be willing to eat if the Chiefs traded a fourth for him?  Interesting times. 

I don't think the Chiefs are in a position where they HAVE to spend money on an aging veteran who is only interested in their own short term aggrandizement.  We have Mahomes to throw to a bevy of young players with upside potential.  Hopkins would sit there in the locker room demanding a large share of targets that would be taken away from young guys  or draftees with a future. We have earned dynasty status by winning 7 straight AFC titles and 2 Super Bowls. Any good young receiver will do just as well as Hopkins with Mahomes throwing to him in Reid's system.  Chiefs need (and will) spend their money on key pieces coming up with new contracts to negotiate, like Jones, not on someone with no Chiefs investment searching only for a way to pad their resume for a year or two.  We have done that many times.  We don't need to do that any more. Let teams like the Raiders do shit like that.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I don't think the Chiefs are in a position where they HAVE to spend money on an aging veteran who is only interested in their own short term aggrandizement.  We have Mahomes to throw to a bevy of young players with upside potential.  Hopkins would sit there in the locker room demanding a large share of targets that would be taken away from young guys  or draftees with a future. We have earned dynasty status by winning 7 straight AFC titles and 2 Super Bowls. Any good young receiver will do just as well as Hopkins with Mahomes throwing to him in Reid's system.  Chiefs need (and will) spend their money on key pieces coming up with new contracts to negotiate, like Jones, not on someone with no Chiefs investment searching only for a way to pad their resume for a year or two.  We have done that many times.  We don't need to do that any more. Let teams like the Raiders do shit like that.

I don't think it would go down like that. Mahomes dictates who gets the ball anyways. I think the guy would add a lot and could help us for the next few years. JMO

3 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Well, my questions were aimed at what Hopkins would cost the Chiefs.  If he's not overly expensive in $$$ or draft picks, then I think he would add to the offense and increase the odds of another SB in the short term.  If he costs a second plus $35 million for two years, then don't do it.  I posted many times that the Chiefs should wait for him to be released.  Then there's the chance that some other team would outbid them.  If AZ would rather get something rather than nothing and eat some guaranteed money, then maybe a deal could be worked out.  I agree that a first for a high dollar player such as Clark or OBJ isn't in the cards.  (pun intended)  

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Well, my questions were aimed at what Hopkins would cost the Chiefs.  If he's not overly expensive in $$$ or draft picks, then I think he would add to the offense and increase the odds of another SB in the short term.  If he costs a second plus $35 million for two years, then don't do it.  I posted many times that the Chiefs should wait for him to be released.  Then there's the chance that some other team would outbid them.  If AZ would rather get something rather than nothing and eat some guaranteed money, then maybe a deal could be worked out.  I agree that a first for a high dollar player such as Clark or OBJ isn't in the cards.  (pun intended)  

You and Mex might be right about this.  I sure am no expert.  Still, I am leary of getting involved with another big name who wants things exactly his way at his amount of money at his position and who expects a certain amount of prominence in the passing game (rather than spreading it around like last year).  I think it inhibits not only finances but also team chemistry and slows the development of younger players, some of who could turn out to also be excellent.  I am using last year's experience after the loss of Tyreek Hill as the source of my feelings.  Everyone nationally wrote oiur epitaph, but we ended up with another Super Bowl victory.

12 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

You and Mex might be right about this.  I sure am no expert.  Still, I am leary of getting involved with another big name who wants things exactly his way at his amount of money at his position and who expects a certain amount of prominence in the passing game (rather than spreading it around like last year).  I think it inhibits not only finances but also team chemistry and slows the development of younger players, some of who could turn out to also be excellent.  I am using last year's experience after the loss of Tyreek Hill as the source of my feelings.  Everyone nationally wrote oiur epitaph, but we ended up with another Super Bowl victory.

Maybe I’m missing something but where exactly are you getting Hopkins being all about himself?  I live in AZ and I’ve never gotten that from him.  The cancer on the team here is the guy taking the snaps.  He’s an entitled midget who yells at coaches and teammates on the sideline during football games.  Hell, he took himself out of a game when the game was on the line because he had sand in his vagina…I mean his knee hurt or some bullshit.  

12 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

Maybe I’m missing something but where exactly are you getting Hopkins being all about himself?  I live in AZ and I’ve never gotten that from him.  The cancer on the team here is the guy taking the snaps.  He’s an entitled midget who yells at coaches and teammates on the sideline during football games.  Hell, he took himself out of a game when the game was on the line because he had sand in his vagina…I mean his knee hurt or some bullshit.  

Entitled midget :lol: .  No, that's good info.  I may be drawing bad conclusions based on little or no knowledge because of seeing other #1 wide receivers be like that so often.  Not all #1 wide receivers are the same. But I would hate to slow the emergence of Skyy Moore or Kadarius Toney by taking away a ton of targets from them for the sake of serving the ball to a 28 year old. There are certain sacrifices that can be made safely considering our current talent at WR, QB, and coaching staff, especially Andy Reid. Develop the younger and cheaper guys while still contending for a championship. I think that is the best approach.

21 hours ago, West said:

It comes down to dollars for D-Hop and how that plays into an extension for Chris Jones-the TOP Priority.

If D-Hop  really wants to be in KC, the deal can get done. 

Also, after 50 years of ineptitude, Veach has proven he is the right guy to be running the ship with Andy and Pat.

Hosting the annual AFC Playoff Tournament for 5 Years, 3 SB's and 2 Lombardi's barely put him over Jack Steadman.....lol

w

^^This.

39 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Blaine Gabbert. Yay. 

As first reported by former NFL punter-turned-broadcaster Pat McAfee, the Chiefs are set to sign 12-year NFL veteran and Ballwin, Missouri native Blaine Gabbert to back up Patrick Mahomes. The former No. 10 overall draft pick in 2011, Gabbert has spent time in Jacksonville, San Francisco, Arizona, and Tennessee during the course of his career. The last three years of his career he spent in Tampa Bay as the backup to Tom Brady.

Gabbert has a boatload of NFL experience to rely on with 48 regular season starts and 67 game appearances during his career. He last started three games for the Tennessee Titans in 2018, finishing the season with a 2-1 record, completing 61 passes for 626 yards, four touchdowns and four interceptions. He also won Super Bowl LV as a backup playing against the Chiefs, so he has some experience with that type of postseason preparation.

This is a bit of a homecoming for Gabbert, who played collegiately at the University of Missouri from 2008-2010. He’ll join a quarterback room that features Mahomes, third-year QB Shane Buechele and second-year QB Chris Oladokun. Gabbert will add to the competition for that backup quarterback spot behind Mahomes.

It’s a safe bet that this move now has Kansas City set at the quarterback position, though they could add a priority free agent after the 2023 NFL draft.

21 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I'll set aside my part in this discussion until we know if/when Hopkins is released and what he'll be asking for on the open market.  If he's all about maximum $$$, then the Chiefs won't get him.  If he feels set for life and wants to go out with a ring, then I'd welcome him to the Chiefs.  I missed the evidence that he's like OBJ, either of them.  

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

As first reported by former NFL punter-turned-broadcaster Pat McAfee, the Chiefs are set to sign 12-year NFL veteran and Ballwin, Missouri native Blaine Gabbert to back up Patrick Mahomes. The former No. 10 overall draft pick in 2011, Gabbert has spent time in Jacksonville, San Francisco, Arizona, and Tennessee during the course of his career. The last three years of his career he spent in Tampa Bay as the backup to Tom Brady.

Gabbert has a boatload of NFL experience to rely on with 48 regular season starts and 67 game appearances during his career. He last started three games for the Tennessee Titans in 2018, finishing the season with a 2-1 record, completing 61 passes for 626 yards, four touchdowns and four interceptions. He also won Super Bowl LV as a backup playing against the Chiefs, so he has some experience with that type of postseason preparation.

This is a bit of a homecoming for Gabbert, who played collegiately at the University of Missouri from 2008-2010. He’ll join a quarterback room that features Mahomes, third-year QB Shane Buechele and second-year QB Chris Oladokun. Gabbert will add to the competition for that backup quarterback spot behind Mahomes.

It’s a safe bet that this move now has Kansas City set at the quarterback position, though they could add a priority free agent after the 2023 NFL draft.

WTF! That's a head scratcher. I'd rather have Cam.

35 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

We don’t need Cam and his costumes walking around. Gabbert will put his head down and go to work and keep his mouth shut. 
good move by chiefs. 

Why? You think Cam's swag is too much competition for Kelce's costumes? 

I've gone back and forth on DHop.  On one hand he is older and expensive.  On the other we just won the SB and having the ability to win back to back is such a super tough thing to accomplish but whoever does cements themselves in history.  I think DHop still has an elite year or two left in the tank.  He would instantly make our wr room top notch.  After all Mahomes learned last year it would be such a nightmare for DC's between Kelce, DHop, Toney, MVS, Moore and that doesn't even consider Pacheco running the ball.   I'd rather have more than enough weapons and not need them than need them and half our room is injured or not very good.  

Move up in the draft and get a OT.  Draft another DE.  Trade a later pick to Arizona for DHop and go defend your SB as favorites.