Free agents to sign, Rumors etc

Contract for Gabbert 

According to the folks at Over The Cap, the 33-year-old received a veteran salary benefit with a $1.165 million base salary in 2023. He’ll also get a $152K signing bonus and $940K guaranteed at signing. During the 2023 NFL season, he’ll count $1,092,500 against the salary cap. They’re not saving much against the cap with this type of VSB contract, but they’re also not paying the full amount. Right now, Gabbert’s contract comes in with the 31st biggest cap hit for Kansas City.

When the Kansas City Chiefs signed WR Richie James in free agency it came as a bit of a surprise. Everyone knew the team was interested in adding to their receiver room, but the specific player, not so much. As it turns out, the Chiefs have had their eye on James for quite some time.

Speaking to media members during his pre-draft press conference, Chiefs GM Brett Veach provided some details behind the signing. Apparently, the team had been interested in James since he was at Middle Tennessee State University. They even attempted to acquire him in a trade back when he was with the San Francisco 49ers.

“He’s a guy that played with (Giants Offensive Coordinator), Mike Kafka, last year in that (Giants Head Coach Brian) Daboll offense in New York (with the Giants),” Veach explained. “(He’s) a versatile player, you can move him around a lot, (he’s) a Middle Tennessee State guy that we liked. Actually, I think a few years ago, there was a trading deadline period when he was with the (San Francisco 49ers) Niners, I think we actually tried to trade for him. One of those waiver wire cut-day deals, but I’ve always liked the player. I think he’s a very versatile guy and he also does punt returns too, so he can take some pressure off of KT (Kadarius Toney) or Skyy (Moore) or whoever is back there. Just having another guy is something that we think is a plus.”

After Kadarius Toney was able to pick up the offense rather quickly, it seems they’re expecting a similar process for James. Mike Kafka’s offense in New York apparently uses many familiar concepts and terms.

Veach’s comments about James returning punts in the stead of Toney and Moore are reassuring. It suggests that both of those players are, in fact, due for larger roles on offense in 2023. They’ll need a player like James to fill in on punt returns to lessen some of the workloads for Moore and Toney.

Whether James amounts to more than depth remains to be seen. He’s already down in Texas working with Patrick Mahomes and his new teammates. That shows that he’s at least motivated to make an outsized impact.

How many wr's are we keeping this year.  If we cut down to 9 OL, 3 TE, 1 FB/HB/4thTE, 2 QB, 3 RBs, we could potentially keep 7 wrs. Toney, MVS, Moore, James, & Watson.   So that would leave 2 spot available.  One for a rookie that seems likely we draft and then the final spot on a FA vet/Ross brothers/camp bodies?  If no one wows we keep 6 and add a 10th OL?  

50 minutes ago, mex said:

I don't know where we have the cap space, honestly. We still need to sign Jones... he'll be getting more. Still need Dunlap. 

I don't see it.

The Chiefs probably wouldn't take Hopkins along with his present contract.  The Cards would have to eat some of it.  Also, Veach can adjust Mahomes contract further if needed until the Jones deal is done.  McKinnon and Dunlap could add to the problem, but apparently there's ways around it if Veach is willing to bet on cap increases down the road.  One question that keeps popping up is whether Mahomes will be willing to play without renegotiating his current contract after half the league is paying their QBs more than he gets.  

9 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs probably wouldn't take Hopkins along with his present contract.  The Cards would have to eat some of it.  Also, Veach can adjust Mahomes contract further if needed until the Jones deal is done.  McKinnon and Dunlap could add to the problem, but apparently there's ways around it if Veach is willing to bet on cap increases down the road.  One question that keeps popping up is whether Mahomes will be willing to play without renegotiating his current contract after half the league is paying their QBs more than he gets.  

I seen a PFF article just a few days ago about how the Chiefs need to up his salary..like a 1/2 $B aint enough  JFC

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I seen a PFF article just a few days ago about how the Chiefs need to up his salary..like a 1/2 $B aint enough  JFC

I can't find it but I saw an article that had Mahomes as like the 8th highest paid QB today. 

Hopefully he's happy and understands he needs a team behind him to become the GOAT. 

38 minutes ago, mex said:

I can't find it but I saw an article that had Mahomes as like the 8th highest paid QB today. 

Hopefully he's happy and understands he needs a team behind him to become the GOAT. 

We keep winning those rings and everyone is happy. He is making a lot in endorsements and also investing well with his money too. He is set for life.