Free agents to sign, Rumors etc

19 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Interesting? I still think Hopkins is in play.

I sincerely doubt this rumor is true, and if it is at all then I'd guess it is a team (Arizona) and not "teams." 

Who, exactly, is KC going to cut to make room for another WR at this point?

We might as well say that MVS (contract), Toney, Moore, and Rice are locks.

IF Ross balls out, things get tight at the bottom of the stack and you have James and Watson battling for a STs spot. 

Chiefs WireCould Buccaneers WR Mike Evans be a trade option for the Chiefs?

In a recent column from Around the NFL co-host Marc Sessler, the biggest remaining offseason needs for each team in the AFC were addressed. For the Chiefs, he landed on the wide receiver position. He noted that Year 2 development from players like Skyy Moore, Kadarius Toney and Marquez Valdes-Scantling will be expected. He mentioned the additions of Richie James, Rashee Rice and even Justyn Ross returning from injury, but he still thinks the team could go out and get a star receiver — suggesting both DeAndre Hopkins and Mike Evans as potential options.

While the ship for Hopkins has probably sailed for Kansas City and Arizona, Evans is an option that hasn’t often been brought up. One of the reasons for that comes down to price and timing. A pre-June 1 trade would cause the Buccaneers to assume a huge dead cap hit ($21.3M) in 2023. A team that trades to acquire Evans in a post-June 1 trade would acquire his $13 million base salary and would need that amount of cap space to fit his contract.

That number alone would make a deal for Kansas City and most other NFL clubs, quite restrictive. For the Chiefs to fit a deal like that in 2023, they’ll have to agree to terms with Chris Jones on a long-term contract extension and lower his cap hit. Factor in the compensation the Buccaneers desire for Evans and a deal might simply be too rich for K.C. and most other clubs.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Chiefs WireCould Buccaneers WR Mike Evans be a trade option for the Chiefs?

In a recent column from Around the NFL co-host Marc Sessler, the biggest remaining offseason needs for each team in the AFC were addressed. For the Chiefs, he landed on the wide receiver position. He noted that Year 2 development from players like Skyy Moore, Kadarius Toney and Marquez Valdes-Scantling will be expected. He mentioned the additions of Richie James, Rashee Rice and even Justyn Ross returning from injury, but he still thinks the team could go out and get a star receiver — suggesting both DeAndre Hopkins and Mike Evans as potential options.

While the ship for Hopkins has probably sailed for Kansas City and Arizona, Evans is an option that hasn’t often been brought up. One of the reasons for that comes down to price and timing. A pre-June 1 trade would cause the Buccaneers to assume a huge dead cap hit ($21.3M) in 2023. A team that trades to acquire Evans in a post-June 1 trade would acquire his $13 million base salary and would need that amount of cap space to fit his contract.

That number alone would make a deal for Kansas City and most other NFL clubs, quite restrictive. For the Chiefs to fit a deal like that in 2023, they’ll have to agree to terms with Chris Jones on a long-term contract extension and lower his cap hit. Factor in the compensation the Buccaneers desire for Evans and a deal might simply be too rich for K.C. and most other clubs.

Saw that yesterday... same guy said we are also interested in getting Chase Young from Washington.

1 hour ago, kccrow said:

I sincerely doubt this rumor is true, and if it is at all then I'd guess it is a team (Arizona) and not "teams." 

Who, exactly, is KC going to cut to make room for another WR at this point?

We might as well say that MVS (contract), Toney, Moore, and Rice are locks.

IF Ross balls out, things get tight at the bottom of the stack and you have James and Watson battling for a STs spot. 

I don't know.  Last year we were supposedly in on AJ Brown.   There was smoke about DHop earlier in the year.   I think Veach is doing his due diligence, but I also think that a wr of that caliber would instantly be the best wr on the roster outside of Kelce.   I don't think the team cares if they have to cut a James, Watson, or Ross if the can find a way to add a legit #1.   It is not everyday you have a chance to repeat as SB champs.   You may be right though, its a slow point in the year for NFL news.

10 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I don't know.  Last year we were supposedly in on AJ Brown.   There was smoke about DHop earlier in the year.   I think Veach is doing his due diligence, but I also think that a wr of that caliber would instantly be the best wr on the roster outside of Kelce.   I don't think the team cares if they have to cut a James, Watson, or Ross if the can find a way to add a legit #1.   It is not everyday you have a chance to repeat as SB champs.   You may be right though, its a slow point in the year for NFL news.

and that's the bottom line, literally and figuratively 

40 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Kinda wish some of the rumors would be true if for nothing more than to speed up this part of the offseason.

Probably nothing major will happen unless Jones signs an extension.  Even then, the chances of getting a top WR is remote.  The Chiefs' offense can be the top in the NFL without a #1 as they proved last year.  

22 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Probably nothing major will happen unless Jones signs an extension.  Even then, the chances of getting a top WR is remote.  The Chiefs' offense can be the top in the NFL without a #1 as they proved last year.  

Imagine this team with another solid defensive lineman or edge guy. Would love to see them find a way to get an incentive-loaded contract for Frank Clark (did I just say that?) or someone like a Chase Young to add depth.

Our offense can and will be top notch this coming season. But if we can improve our DL it takes pressure off a vastly improved secondary and LB corps... man we could wreak havoc and not have to rely on last-second FGs in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, mex said:

Imagine this team with another solid defensive lineman or edge guy. Would love to see them find a way to get an incentive-loaded contract for Frank Clark (did I just say that?) or someone like a Chase Young to add depth.

Our offense can and will be top notch this coming season. But if we can improve our DL it takes pressure off a vastly improved secondary and LB corps... man we could wreak havoc and not have to rely on last-second FGs in the playoffs.

Nothing wrong with last second FGs...........as long as Butker makes them.  

15 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

It is not everyday you have a chance to repeat as SB champs.   You may be right though, its a slow point in the year for NFL news.

The Chiefs have that chance right now without adding anyone.  It is widely recognized that their defense is better, especially at LB and secondary. Many are saying top 10 or better.  We haven't had that in the Mahomes era.  Others are saying that we have the best O right now, or close.  Some of those say we have the best O-line in football (Assuming Dixon is good and Taylor, which is reasonable).  So, what is the fretting about "having a chance" all about? Where is the assumption that we need to compromise our chance to retain Jones to get another receiver coming from?  It's ridiculous.  Instead of another receiver, let the improved defense give Mahomes more chances with the ball and extend Jones.  It is the only sane path I can envision.

Just now, jetlord said:

Nothing wrong with last second FGs...........as long as Butker makes them.  

Unless you could be up 10 because your defense can stop a good offense. You said yourself a W can be turned into an L with little more than a fluke play or bad call... ask cincy and philly how that feels.

Personally, I know how it feels because I been a Chiefs fan for almost as long as you. Starting with that phantom holding call on Dave Szott vs Miami in the playoffs... and continuing on multiple times, including games with that kicker who shall not be named.

Agree that a comfortable win is easier on the heart, especially for us geezers.  But those come from behind wins and last second scores sure are fun to remember.  The 13 second win in the AFCCG is still one of my favorite rewatches.  That's why I said they were good when the Chiefs came out on top, i.e. Butker made the kick. 

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Agree that a comfortable win is easier on the heart, especially for us geezers.  But those come from behind wins and last second scores sure are fun to remember.  The 13 second win in the AFCCG is still one of my favorite rewatches.  That's why I said they were good when the Chiefs came out on top, i.e. Butker made the kick. 

Oh, I watch that game at least once a week. 

But that don't mean I want to live it again... :lol: 

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

For starters this team is good enough to win another SB. Period. 

However if there is an opportunity to add a top end WR or some DE depth and an upgrade at DT next to Jones then you 100% do it. 

Always upgrade when you can and it makes sense financially for the team.

On 5/19/2023 at 9:12 PM, Lamardirts said:

I don't doubt he's doing his due diligence, that's easily likely. I just think every swinging dick with a keyboard in the media these days assumes we're going to trade for every star WR that might come available and that's what I consider highly unlikely. Veach checking in on what it would take doesn't mean we're seriously shopping. Sometimes you come across a steal and you make the move. I'd feel differently if we were talking about maybe moving a day 3 pick for other names that were attached to the rumors like Dee Eskridge, Dyami Brown and so on that were '21 draft picks and haven't had much opportunity and got further buried down the chart this year.

17 hours ago, kccrow said:

I don't doubt he's doing his due diligence, that's easily likely. I just think every swinging dick with a keyboard in the media these days assumes we're going to trade for every star WR that might come available and that's what I consider highly unlikely. Veach checking in on what it would take doesn't mean we're seriously shopping. Sometimes you come across a steal and you make the move. I'd feel differently if we were talking about maybe moving a day 3 pick for other names that were attached to the rumors like Dee Eskridge, Dyami Brown and so on that were '21 draft picks and haven't had much opportunity and got further buried down the chart this year.

I agree with you that it is highly unlikely a big move gets made.  I think our wr crew is good enough and if we want to make a long run we are going to need 2-3 of those guys to develop and turn into solid #2 and #3's on rookie deals so if needed we can make that splash down the road.  I think Kelce can carry the load as the #1 at least for one more year.

6 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

How does anyone join the Chiefs roster until the Jones or Sneed contracts are extended?  They have no cap space after setting aside money for Rice.  If Jones wants his buddy back, he needs to speed up the extension process.  

6 hours ago, jetlord said:

How does anyone join the Chiefs roster until the Jones or Sneed contracts are extended?  They have no cap space after setting aside money for Rice.  If Jones wants his buddy back, he needs to speed up the extension process.  

I would be surprised if Sneed gets extended.  

6 hours ago, jetlord said:

7ndd7c.jpg