Free agents to sign, Rumors etc

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

Probably not, but it could save a little this year if he was.  

There are plenty of ways to slide money around for the Chiefs but that's not likely one of them. Sneed only makes 2.9 m this year. Even a modest signing bonus on a CB contract these days is around 2.5 to 3 per if they are worth a shit. I can't fathom Sneed won't match Ward's deal on the market.

22 hours ago, jetlord said:

How does anyone join the Chiefs roster until the Jones or Sneed contracts are extended?  They have no cap space after setting aside money for Rice.  If Jones wants his buddy back, he needs to speed up the extension process.  

Just because it hasn't been published in the press doesn't mean significant progress isn't being made... that said I agree... if Jones is insisting we bring Clark back, he needs to put up.

1 hour ago, mex said:

Just because it hasn't been published in the press doesn't mean significant progress isn't being made... that said I agree... if Jones is insisting we bring Clark back, he needs to put up.

Do you think Jones' lawyers really give a shit about his buddies?  Jones, of course, doesn't have to follow his lawyers' recommendations for whatever personal reasons, but they are hired as contract lawyers, not personal advisors or life coaches.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Do you think Jones' lawyers really give a shit about his buddies?  Jones, of course, doesn't have to follow his lawyers' recommendations for whatever personal reasons, but they are hired as contract lawyers, not personal advisors or life coaches.

Of course his agent is pushing for max... that's how THEY get paid. But Jones still has a mind of his own. Hopefully, it's like Patrick in that regard.

On 5/28/2023 at 5:45 AM, jetlord said:

Probably not, but it could save a little this year if he was.  

Does Sneed actually save us any money with an extension? He should be on the crappy rookie deal that probably pays him no more than a couple for this year. Regardless I see him leaving for a good deal next year with the way this regime has been developing CBs.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

Does Sneed actually save us any money with an extension? He should be on the crappy rookie deal that probably pays him no more than a couple for this year. Regardless I see him leaving for a good deal next year with the way this regime has been developing CBs.

I would really hate to see him go. He would be  cornerstone player on most teams.

6 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I would really hate to see him go. He would be  cornerstone player on most teams.

Would definitely love to keep him around but I'm not sure if it'll make financial sense for the Chiefs. We will have to let quite a bit of players leave after their rookie deal. 

2 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Would definitely love to keep him around but I'm not sure if it'll make financial sense for the Chiefs. We will have to let quite a bit of players leave after their rookie deal. 

Yeah.  The mark of a really great team.  I'd love to keep him, but damn. And players have to balance their income with their desire to play with a great team.  It has to be tough on them, unless they are still too young to care to care about the intangibles, like how it feels to play for a team that loses half its games.

Sneed is one of my favorite secondary players in the entire league. But in this case i think we have to let him walk. He is one of those corners that will command over 10 mil a season, and the chiefs strength is finding good young secondary players in the draft.

if we were going to extend sneed it made sense to do it over a year ago when it could have been done cheap, now its essentially impossible in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I've always liked him. He hasn't sucked. Which is kinda important in a defensive back.

5 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Yeah.  The mark of a really great team.  I'd love to keep him, but damn. And players have to balance their income with their desire to play with a great team.  It has to be tough on them, unless they are still too young to care to care about the intangibles, like how it feels to play for a team that loses half its games.

Sneed has what, 2 rings? He's going for bank. As would I.

He gone.

On 5/29/2023 at 10:39 AM, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Sneed is one of my favorite secondary players in the entire league. But in this case i think we have to let him walk. He is one of those corners that will command over 10 mil a season, and the chiefs strength is finding good young secondary players in the draft.

if we were going to extend sneed it made sense to do it over a year ago when it could have been done cheap, now its essentially impossible in my opinion.

I don't think it would have been cheap, even a year ago.  All of football has known what we have on our hands,  ever since his first season was halfway through.

On 5/29/2023 at 6:39 PM, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Rookies can only be extended after the 3rd season so this is the earliest point in time for Sneed. IMO it's one of those cases where as you said we simply have to accept the fact that he'll be too expensive for us to keep around and live with a 3rd or whatever pick comes our way through FA. 

44 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Rookies can only be extended after the 3rd season so this is the earliest point in time for Sneed. IMO it's one of those cases where as you said we simply have to accept the fact that he'll be too expensive for us to keep around and live with a 3rd or whatever pick comes our way through FA. 

Thanks, Sith.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

This year it's Sneed and Gay.  Next year it will be Bolton, Humphrey, and Smith.  It will be a real juggling act for Veach to keep the core of the team together while paying Jones, Kelce, Mahomes, Thuney, and Taylor.  Good to be on top.  Very difficult to stay there.  And the rabble rousers are spouting off about how the Chiefs need to pay Mahomes more even though he's only one year into his record setting contract.  Hope Mahomes sticks to his philosophy of wanting a winning situation more than feeding his ego via the top QB annual pay.  

29 minutes ago, jetlord said:

This year it's Sneed and Gay.  Next year it will be Bolton, Humphrey, and Smith.  It will be a real juggling act for Veach to keep the core of the team together while paying Jones, Kelce, Mahomes, Thuney, and Taylor.  Good to be on top.  Very difficult to stay there.  And the rabble rousers are spouting off about how the Chiefs need to pay Mahomes more even though he's only one year into his record setting contract.  Hope Mahomes sticks to his philosophy of wanting a winning situation more than feeding his ego via the top QB annual pay.  

I dont think Gay will be back just a gut feeling

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

You're probably right.  Gay has the talent and ability but he seems to be a slow learner.  Sure not making the progress we hoped he would.  Still, he's worth keeping if he (his agent) realizes that he's not all world and would sign a reasonable deal.  

14 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I agree. He has underperformed his talent level. It would need to be a cheap deal.

I think it is more underperforming his athleticism level, not talent level.  It is hard to see exactly with him.  He misses time with some emotional difficulties, and other games he makes few  mental mistakes.  He gets only his share of injuries but not more.  When he reads the play correctly and uses his athleticism, it is fantastic...has the WOW factor.  It is more like occasional mental mistakes combined with short periods of apparent depression (I've read) that makes it hard for him to achieve what is possible for him..  Overall, that does knock down his market value some.

7 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Tranquill will push him and vice versa. Whoever wins at this will get the contract extension or at least the offer first. 

9 hours ago, jetlord said:

This year it's Sneed and Gay.  Next year it will be Bolton, Humphrey, and Smith.

Don't forget we'll get compensational picks for them. They'll sign Humphrey tho. Maybe even Bolton.