Free agents to sign, Rumors etc

Bolton is the guy I'm truly curious about.  Great player but limited.  What is a guy like that going to command on the open market and will we match it?   Hard to see Veach giving a MLB 15 million or more a year when he needs to come off the field on obvious passing downs. I agree with the rest of you that Gay is likely gone and Trey Smith is probably gone too in favor of Humphrey.  

19 hours ago, jetlord said:

This year it's Sneed and Gay.  Next year it will be Bolton, Humphrey, and Smith.  It will be a real juggling act for Veach to keep the core of the team together while paying Jones, Kelce, Mahomes, Thuney, and Taylor.  Good to be on top.  Very difficult to stay there.  And the rabble rousers are spouting off about how the Chiefs need to pay Mahomes more even though he's only one year into his record setting contract.  Hope Mahomes sticks to his philosophy of wanting a winning situation more than feeding his ego via the top QB annual pay.  

We also need to consider the upcoming years when spending money. Creed and Bolton are basically locks to be extended and Smith definitely deserves to stick around. If we somehow carry over some cap from this year that would be very helpful going forward but I think we'll have to let guys like Sneed, Gay, and Smith leave for the "greater good".

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

I wouldn't trade either Bolton or Humphrey for a third.  And if the Chiefs sign a FA off the market, it can cancel out the compensation.  

First world problems. Not only the Chiefs deal with it.

2 hours ago, mex said:

First world problems. Not only the Chiefs deal with it.

True.  Every team with a top ranked QB has to limit how they spend on other positions.  Cincy, LAC, and JAX will soon be in that boat.  What makes it harder for the Chiefs right now is that they draft last or near last every year.  That affects not only the first round, but every round after that.  Veach has to spend capital to move up in later rounds.  Best thing that can happen is that Mahomes stays team friendly and FAs want to come play for Reid in a winning program.  

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

True.  Every team with a top ranked QB has to limit how they spend on other positions.  Cincy, LAC, and JAX will soon be in that boat.  What makes it harder for the Chiefs right now is that they draft last or near last every year.  That affects not only the first round, but every round after that.  Veach has to spend capital to move up in later rounds.  Best thing that can happen is that Mahomes stays team friendly and FAs want to come play for Reid in a winning program.  

Yep. That's why I hate it when the pundits constantly talk about how Patrick is a team-friendly guy and that the only way to win championships is to be willing to make sacrifices. This is how Brady was able to become the GOAT... but it wasn't commonly known how much he worked behind the scenes to help his team. Now that patrick is doing it, seems like it's all the pundits ever talk about... going so far as to quote Patrick saying "I have enough money. I want Championships."

Best thing that could happen is Burrow, Allen, Herbert, and Lawrence all go for the big bucks.

I'd rather have that top rated QB than a bunch of great surrounding players or a top 5 defense.  Just looking at the Chiefs, when were we best?  Dawson, Montana, Mahomes.  I would rather struggle to attract top free agents than to find it easy to do that but not have that real franchise QB. The teams with the best QBs always have the sustained success. I hope Clark Hunt and Co. never forget to do whatever is necessary to draft a great QB first and foremost when a previous one is lost to age/injury/personal choice, etc. Rarely can a franchise get there by building a defensive juggernaut.  Ask Marty. Sometimes you miss on your QB, like Blackledge, but you have to just keep trying.

Second on the list, I would say is finding a franchise head coach.

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I'd rather have that top rated QB than a bunch of great surrounding players or a top 5 defense.  Just looking at the Chiefs, when were we best?  Dawson, Montana, Mahomes.  I would rather struggle to attract top free agents than to find it easy to do that but not have that real franchise QB. The teams with the best QBs always have the sustained success. I hope Clark Hunt and Co. never forget to do whatever is necessary to draft a great QB first and foremost when a previous one is lost to age/injury/personal choice, etc. Rarely can a franchise get there by building a defensive juggernaut.  Ask Marty. Sometimes you miss on your QB, like Blackledge, but you have to just keep trying.

Second on the list, I would say is finding a franchise head coach.

It usually takes a top QB, but it takes more.  Ask Dan Marino, the obvious example.  Dawson had a super supporting cast.  How many 1969 Chiefs' players are HOF or should be?  Montana had a great team around him in SFO.  Mahomes has all the money he or his kids can ever spend normally.  He makes more from endorsements and side gigs because his team is so successful.  LJ8, Allen, Hurts, Rogers, Watson, and soon Herbert, Burrows, and Lawrence will all make more per year than Mahomes.  How many will win even one SB (aside from the one Rogers won long ago)?  Will any win two?  Not if their teams are strapped for cap space and lose all the top supporting cast. 

• 1 month later...

What would it take for this guy? I know would DE be a must? If we could keep Omenihu inside at DT a lit, this would be a great rotation as we let the rookie Uz learn.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38094491/vikings-looking-options-move-danielle-hunter-sources-say

Vikings looking at options to move Danielle Hunter, sources say

Vikings looking at options to move Danielle Hunter, sources say

• fowler_jeremy.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Jeremy Fowler, senior NFL national reporterJul 29, 2023, 11:56 AM ET

The Vikings have evaluated trade options for Danielle Hunter in light of his ongoing unhappiness with his contract, with sources from multiple teams saying Minnesota has made the former Pro Bowler available.

Hunter does not want to play on his $4.9 million base salary for this season, so the Vikings have tried to find creative solutions should they fail to reach a new deal with him. Hunter, 28, skipped organized team activities and mandatory minicamp and is not practicing during training camp after missing the offseason program.

Minnesota's approach isn't necessarily new, with the understanding that Hunter likely wants a trade or release, absent a new deal. The Vikings have attempted to extend Hunter, but not on a long-term deal the player feels is commensurate with his skill set, sources said.

Coach Kevin O'Connell said Saturday that he has spoken daily with Hunter in the team facility and remains optimistic that an agreement to begin practicing can be reached. For now, however, O'Connell would not reveal what, if any, work Hunter has been doing.

"My hope is that we can work towards him being out on the practice field with us sooner rather than later," O'Connell said. "He's been great. Looking forward to taking it one day at a time. I've not tried to hide my feelings. Danielle Hunter is a very special player. As soon as we can get him out here, you'll see him out and our fans will see him out here."

EDITOR'S PICKS

On Tuesday, when Hunter reported for the start of training camp, Minnesota general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah stopped well short of saying the pass-rusher's future has been resolved.

Asked whether he was confident Hunter would be on the roster this season, Adofo-Mensah said he was "really excited to see him."

"It's great to see a great player like that," the GM said. "Great Viking -- really excited. So I just want to make sure I say that, and that's where I'm at right now."

Hunter is in the final season of a five-year, $70 million extension. His salary is low this year because of a reworked deal two offseasons ago.

He returned last season after two years of injuries and recorded 10.5 sacks, even after transitioning from a 4-3 defensive end to a 3-4 outside linebacker.

Information from ESPN's Kevin Seifert was used in this report.

• 3 weeks later...

57 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I don’t think we can afford anything until Jones. I heard that will free up $10 mill on the radio. I hope we get Dunlap when that happens. I feel pretty good at running back.

According to RGR, Clark isn't doing so well in Denver.  They could release him which could make Jones happy enough to sign an extension and free up some cap space.  Not likely, but possible. 

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

According to RGR, Clark isn't doing so well in Denver.  They could release him which could make Jones happy enough to sign an extension and free up some cap space.  Not likely, but possible. 

I would like to see this.