Free agents to sign, Rumors etc

Thought I remember him stating getting that first deal was important for taking care of his family for life and probably his kids kids.  Seems like that 1/2 B deal did that not to mention his other business dealings.  He definitely didn't take a huge discount even thought that contract is super team friendly.  I guess I could see him wanting them to redo it but then again I could see him saying I'm good and lets go win a bunch of rings.   He seems to understand he has an opportunity with a few more rings to cement himself as the GOAT and being the highest paid player by a couple million doesn't help him accomplish that.  Either way we are golden because he is one of the few players worth a monster deal.

27 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Thought I remember him stating getting that first deal was important for taking care of his family for life and probably his kids kids.  Seems like that 1/2 B deal did that not to mention his other business dealings.  He definitely didn't take a huge discount even thought that contract is super team friendly.  I guess I could see him wanting them to redo it but then again I could see him saying I'm good and lets go win a bunch of rings.   He seems to understand he has an opportunity with a few more rings to cement himself as the GOAT and being the highest paid player by a couple million doesn't help him accomplish that.  Either way we are golden because he is one of the few players worth a monster deal.

I think both sides will work together. I believe Clark and Veach will want him earning as much as they can afford. I could see them asking him to keep it as team-friendly as possible so they can keep winning SBs, but I definitely know they'll want to pay him everything he deserves. Hopefully he understands that he can actually have it ALL, by keeping a team friendly contract, making the AFCCG every year, winning a few more SBs short term, joining #12 in the discussion as GOAT, and with it looking at hundreds of millions in endorsements and post-football career options.

All that would add up to a hell of a lot more money than what he'd be losing between a team-friendly deal and being the highest paid QB in the league.

Can't have all that without many many more AFCCG and SB appearances. 

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

We keep winning those rings and everyone is happy. He is making a lot in endorsements and also investing well with his money too. He is set for life. 

Set for life doesn't compute with some players.  Hopefully, it does with Mahomes.  Getting to a lower relative pay and staying there could mean more titles and much more endorsement money.  Depends on his priorities.  So far, he seems interested in his teammates more than his salary bragging rights.  There will always be other players, talking heads, and agents goading him to ask for more.  

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Hopefully, it does with Mahomes.

He seems like a smart kid who listens to the right people. I loved that he bought into the Royals... it was a good investment, and showed his loyalty to the KC area. 

There ain't much not to like with that kid I'm just sayin'.

4 minutes ago, mex said:

He seems like a smart kid who listens to the right people. I loved that he bought into the Royals... it was a good investment, and showed his loyalty to the KC area. 

There ain't much not to like with that kid I'm just sayin'.

Meanwhile, LJ8 signs for 5 years, $260 million, $185 million guaranteed.  

Just now, mex said:

Where's handswarmer when you need him :lol: 

Yep, if they can just bring in Hopkins, the Ravens are a lock for SB58.  Tough luck, Cincy.  Oh, wait.  The Jets are a lock for the SB.  Hope the Chiefs at least make the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Yep, if they can just bring in Hopkins, the Ravens are a lock for SB58.  Tough luck, Cincy.  Oh, wait.  The Jets are a lock for the SB.  Hope the Chiefs at least make the playoffs. 

We'll make the wild card round, barely, as AFCW runner up to LAC

• 2 weeks later...

I'm truly curious about Daviyon Nixon. What went so wrong and is he worthy of a reclamation project?

The dude was great at Iowa. Then he puts up really solid, and some great, combine numbers but manages to fall to the 5th round. Flames out quickly in Carolina only making the PS in year two and gets waived in December. Seattle signs him and waives him six days later.

What the hell is up with this guy? I thought he'd be a 2nd round pick at one point and a really good 3-tech. 

53 minutes ago, kccrow said:

I'm truly curious about Daviyon Nixon. What went so wrong and is he worthy of a reclamation project?

The dude was great at Iowa. Then he puts up really solid, and some great, combine numbers but manages to fall to the 5th round. Flames out quickly in Carolina only making the PS in year two and gets waived in December. Seattle signs him and waives him six days later.

What the hell is up with this guy? I thought he'd be a 2nd round pick at one point and a really good 3-tech. 

Injury derailed him his rookie season. Carolina had a lot of depth and gave up on him. Seattle he never got a chance. He might be a guy to try out though as he has potential,  just needs a chance.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Injury derailed him his rookie season. Carolina had a lot of depth and gave up on him. Seattle he never got a chance. He might be a guy to try out though as he has potential,  just needs a chance.

If he is that good and lost out because of a first year injury on a team with depth at that position, there is nothing "up" with him.   Just bad luck.  If his injury is healed, and his attitude and behavior are fine, he will find a spot and thrive someplace. But we don't know any of those last three things. One thing is certain - Veach will investigate, or already has, and put him on some kind of watch list.

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

If he is that good and lost out because of a first year injury on a team with depth at that position, there is nothing "up" with him.   Just bad luck.  If his injury is healed, and his attitude and behavior are fine, he will find a spot and thrive someplace. But we don't know any of those last three things. One thing is certain - Veach will investigate, or already has, and put him on some kind of watch list.

I'm not especially thrilled with Veach's investigation into the D-Line thus far this offseason. His FA grab pre-draft has already been waived and he made a 6th round investment. He doubled down post-draft by adding a PS player back into the fold. So, my opinion is that the Chiefs DT situation is absolute dogshit outside of Jones with hopes that a 6th rounder will far exceed expectations. We need more than that. Maybe Nixon is worth a serious investigation, along with a couple more DTs. 

2 hours ago, kccrow said:

I'm not especially thrilled with Veach's investigation into the D-Line thus far this offseason. His FA grab pre-draft has already been waived and he made a 6th round investment. He doubled down post-draft by adding a PS player back into the fold. So, my opinion is that the Chiefs DT situation is absolute dogshit outside of Jones with hopes that a 6th rounder will far exceed expectations. We need more than that. Maybe Nixon is worth a serious investigation, along with a couple more DTs. 

Remember, there is another FA period coming. Veach may have his eye on someone who is priced out of their current roster.  Even without a move, though,  I wouldn't call the DT situation "dog shit." Your post is a little over-dramatic. Veach filled all the positions of most need in this recent draft without over-reaching.  Pretty good for a superbowl winner in the most difficult draft situation of 32 teams. He played the hand he was dealt really well, I thought.

14 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Remember, there is another FA period coming. Veach may have his eye on someone who is priced out of their current roster.  Even without a move, though,  I wouldn't call the DT situation "dog shit." Your post is a little over-dramatic. Veach filled all the positions of most need in this recent draft without over-reaching.  Pretty good for a superbowl winner in the most difficult draft situation of 32 teams. He played the hand he was dealt really well, I thought.

Not to mention that Omenihu is best rushing from the interior, furious George was coming on there at the end of last year, and the School of Mines stud may be healthy again and he was really doing well before he got hurt.  Situation not that dire.

Honestly I like our DLine.  Maybe add another cost effective end *coughsharkcough* and we'll be in business, especially so if FAU puts it together by mid year.

55 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Dramatic? What player at DT doesn't suck besides Jones? 

Nnadi? This is really your only hope and that hope is hinged on an excuse unbeknownst to us for how shit he was last season, but even then his running away from the play in the AFCC isn't an injury.

Wharton? Not as great as most fans like to think he is. Pretty marginal roster guy as a rotational player that doesn't really generate many plays. Unfortunately not much there to push him off the roster either.

Hoskins? Dickerson? Wise? Feel free to lambaste me if any of those work out.

Shelton? Couldn't crack the 53 last year and was a declining asset for NY the year before. 

Coburn? 6th round rookie that doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence yet. Looks like maybe a marginal rotational guy no too dissimilar from Pennel.

The excuse that Omenihu will slide down doesn't cut the mustard for me. Every team brings DEs down inside to generate pressure on passing downs but it's not an abundantly high percentage of plays. It's certainly not enough to offset the fact that the rest of the position group is... crap.

And then who are you exactly getting in this magic wave of FA? June 1 cuts aren't usually ripe with amazing deals anymore. Most of the guys that can make a difference get cut with a June 1 designation earlier in the process. Now, I'll concede that sometimes you get a surprise but that isn't something I'd bet the farm on today. 

The only guy out there right now that is a decent player and isn't an old man is Matt Ioannidis and he's a 3-tech. That isn't solving the issue at 1. Mike Pennel would be serviceable in a rotation. And maybe those are the moves to make but I doubt Veach makes either much less both.

I really don't see many potential cap casualties on Jun 1 that will move the needle. 

Veach's failure this offseason has been addressing the DT position. We lack a good starter at 1 and there is no quality depth. To top it off, there isn't the cap space to do much of anything unless he hammers out an extension with Jones or pushes a bit of someone's money around. Hopefully, something gets done there just in case there is a guy worth fighting for as a release. 

2 hours ago, kccrow said:

Nnadi? This is really your only hope and that hope is hinged on an excuse unbeknownst to us for how shit he was last season, but even then his running away from the play in the AFCC isn't an injury.

Wharton? Not as great as most fans like to think he is. Pretty marginal roster guy as a rotational player that doesn't really generate many plays. Unfortunately not much there to push him off the roster either.

Shelton? Couldn't crack the 53 last year and was a declining asset for NY the year before. 

Coburn? 6th round rookie that doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence yet. Looks like maybe a marginal rotational guy no too dissimilar from Pennel.

The excuse that Omenihu will slide down doesn't cut the mustard for me. Every team brings DEs down inside to generate pressure on passing downs but it's not an abundantly high percentage of plays. It's certainly not enough to offset the fact that the rest of the position group is... crap.

And then who are you exactly getting in this magic wave of FA? June 1 cuts aren't usually ripe with amazing deals anymore. Most of the guys that can make a difference get cut with a June 1 designation earlier in the process. Now, I'll concede that sometimes you get a surprise but that isn't something I'd bet the farm on today. 

The only guy out there right now that is a decent player and isn't an old man is Matt Ioannidis and he's a 3-tech. That isn't solving the issue at 1. Mike Pennel would be serviceable in a rotation. And maybe those are the moves to make but I doubt Veach makes either much less both.

I really don't see many potential cap casualties on Jun 1 that will move the needle. 

Veach's failure this offseason has been addressing the DT position. We lack a good starter at 1 and there is no quality depth. To top it off, there isn't the cap space to do much of anything unless he hammers out an extension with Jones or pushes a bit of someone's money around. Hopefully, something gets done there just in case there is a guy worth fighting for as a release. 

Have you ever thought about Prozac? I've heard it works really well.

2 hours ago, dhitter said:

I saw where some folks were saying that the only reason we signed OT Smith was because we wanted an OT in round one but all the good ones were gone....so plan B. Anyone else hear that?

That's been a talking point for Ryan Tracy (RGR and Locked On Chiefs) ever since the draft.  The Chiefs tried to move up with a trade with Dallas and couldn't get the deal..  All the other OTs other than Harrison went way to early for the Chiefs to trade up that far.  

11 hours ago, kccrow said:

Damn, some people are never Happy!