Jawaan Taylor signing

47 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Screenshot_20230313_133501_Twitter.jpg.f9adde13937d532aa77e36d86c79454b.jpg

Niang imo should be treated as depth. Obviously I’m not in the building , so I don’t see what they see , but I do know that since he was drafted, he opted out on the Covid year and has had injuries since then.  The shine has come off of Niang in the three years since we drafted him. 

Would like to see the details.  60 million is a lot but eating two years into the guarantee before Creed and Smith need to be resigned isn't terrible.   The real question is what side will he play.    At least we have a very good tackle on this roster for the next 4 years.  Even though I'd imagine that final year is probably like 30 million or something.  

1 minute ago, dhitter said:

This signing tells me the Chiefs weren't comfortable with the LT situation and the draft. At 31 probably not going to get a top tier guy unless someone falls.

It just says they didn't want to spend the capital on moving up for a LT they like... and there's other positions of need IE edge and WR that are more attainable.

But yeah. 31 is not a great place for a LT this year.

2 minutes ago, dhitter said:

This signing tells me the Chiefs weren't comfortable with the LT situation and the draft. At 31 probably not going to get a top tier guy unless someone falls.

I disagree. I highly doubt Veach is going to sit at 31 and until told other wise believe we have yet to see our true LT on the roster

7 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I disagree. I highly doubt Veach is going to sit at 31 and until told other wise believe we have yet to see our true LT on the roster

Watching Pat limp around may have affected Veach almost as much as it did us. Maybe he’s decided to protect the Franchise at all costs.

“Good enough” won’t do. Maybe he wants to pay the price to assemble an offensive line for the ages. 

Just now, oldtimer said:

seeing on the Jags wire  saying  this guy was only good this year and Lawrence made him look better than he really was

Well, we played him twice and apparently thought otherwise (or at least that his shortcomings can be schemed around).

But we all agree that Mahomes makes the OLine look better, so I'm comfortable thinking that Lawrence did some of the same. 

So what's the Taylor cap hit for this season?  The Chiefs just used up all the space they had and there's still Townsend, JuJu, Saunders, etc.  Does this indicate that the extension for Jones in eminent or will Pat's contract be tinkered with?  

5 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

When you see that Mike McGlinchey got 5/87.5   we were wise to lock up Taylor at 4/80.    Can't imagine what some desperate team the Bears are  going to pay OBJ.  

FIFY

the McGlinchey deal looks preferable IMO

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

So what's the Taylor cap hit for this season?  The Chiefs just used up all the space they had and there's still Townsend, JuJu, Saunders, etc.  Does this indicate that the extension for Jones in eminent or will Pat's contract be tinkered with?  

Let's have @west call Brett on his cell phone to let us in on his strategy. They're buddies now.  I bet he'd love to hear our advice too.

Curious if he was scouted for LT any time during this regime. With the way AFC West is stacked at pass rush we need two solid tackles but obviously the number is quite high for a RT. Don't mind if we find a good LT in the draft and keep Taylor on the right side unless there's a stud LT hidden in his core. This year showed that protecting Mahomes is more important than anything else. 

44 minutes ago, mex said:

But yeah. 31 is not a great place for a LT this year.

It might be.  It's not a good place to get the top guy from OSU, but there are prospects who have the talent and size but aren't as game ready.  They could grab one to compete with Niang at RT or groom him for LT and let Taylor revert back to RT.  

7 minutes ago, jetlord said:

It might be.  It's not a good place to get the top guy from OSU, but there are prospects who have the talent and size but aren't as game ready.  They could grab one to compete with Niang at RT or groom him for LT and let Taylor revert back to RT.  

True... but that's when you get into the 'rolling the dice' mode. Landing Taylor pretty much ensures our focus in the draft will be on edge and WR... just a guess.  If the rumors are true that they're still chasing the kid from HOU to shore up BOTH sides at tackle, it places more importance on the draft for our other holes. I'd like to see Edge, WR, and hope they can pull a few diamonds in the rough to strengthen our secondary. 

8 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

McGlinchey is terrible. A matador. A screen door. 

Arguably the top offensive tackle on the market, Mike McGlinchey has agreed to sign Denver on a four-year deal, according to multiple reports.

According to NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport, McGlinchey’s deal is worth $87.5 million with over $50 million guaranteed.

McGlinchey was a 49ers first-round pick in 2018 and became an immediate starter for the club. San Francisco picked up his fifth-year option in the spring of 2021 but did not sign him to an extension.

McGlinchey was No. 11 on PFT’s top 100 free agents.