Jawaan Taylor signing

2 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

To quote the great philosopher, @mex. McGlinchey is a "Walmart Greeter" You just walk right by him. 

They can either trust me to check myself out or they do it and check the receipt.  You can have it both ways. I always walk pass them, even if they are trying to check my receipt. 

This is the ultimate FU to orlando brown, so from that perspective i love the deal.

personally I don’t care if this guy plays LT or RT, to me they are the same value in todays nfl. This guy will plug one of the spots, and hopefully we hit on someone in the top few rounds of the draft to plug the other.

break glass scenerio thuney can play one of the tackle spots and find a guard.

28 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

To quote the great philosopher, @mex. McGlinchey is a "Walmart Greeter" You just walk right by him. 

No no no. As a Wally Mart greeter, he'll show opposing defensive linemen exactly which aisle to find the QB.

58 minutes ago, Calichief said:

If telling that the Chiefs didn't try to franchise and then trade Brown.  They were afraid that they would be stuck with paying him near $20 million when no one would take him.  Message to future players.  "Take a fair offer or find another place to play."  It looks like Brown wore out his welcome after only two years.  How many teams are desperate for an above average OT who wants elite money?  

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

If telling that the Chiefs didn't try to franchise and then trade Brown.  They were afraid that they would be stuck with paying him near $20 million when no one would take him.  Message to future players.  "Take a fair offer or find another place to play."  It looks like Brown wore out his welcome after only two years.  How many teams are desperate for an above average OT who wants elite money?  

only takes one with cap $$

By the way, the cap hits are 5.825 in year one and 24.725 in the next 3 years. That includes an 18.9m signing bonus. Salaries of 1.08 then 19.5 the next 3 and 20k workout followed by 500k workout the next 3 years. First 2 years the salary is fully guaranteed. The 3rd-year guarantees during the offseason.

4 hours ago, kccrow said:

By the way, the cap hits are 5.825 in year one and 24.725 in the next 3 years. That includes an 18.9m signing bonus. Salaries of 1.08 then 19.5 the next 3 and 20k workout followed by 500k workout the next 3 years. First 2 years the salary is fully guaranteed. The 3rd-year guarantees during the offseason.

He's young enough that restructures won't kill the team. Not like they'd be kicking the can down the road on an older guy they know they're gonna have to release and eat a bunch of dead money. That is LT money though. Starting next year anyway. Be interesting to see what the plan truly is. But to me...the money says LT.

It comes down to KC believing that he's a good enough athlete with good enough footwork to transition to LT, and play at the same level as OBJ did at about 70% of the cost. If they draft a LT...then he stays at RT, is expected to play at a pro bowl level, and we have the best o-line in football. 

There are worse plans to have...

4 hours ago, kccrow said:

According to the folks at OverTheCap, Taylor carries a low base salary of $1.08 million in 2023, with $4.725 million in prorated bonus money and a $20K workout bonus. It brings his first-year cap hit up to $5.825 million, leaving Kansas City with somewhere around $9 million in cap space remaining for 2023. They do have several other ways to create more cap space this season, including a Chris Jones extension and a number of other restructures.

For each of the following three years after 2023, Taylor carries a $19.5 million base salary along with $4.725 million in prorated bonus money, giving him cap hits of $24.725 million in 2024, 2025 and 2026.

A total of $40 million is guaranteed at the signing of the contract and the Chiefs can realistically get out of the contract after two years, but more likely three years. Ideally, Kansas City likes what they see from Taylor in 2023 and restructure his contract next year (prior to $20 million of the deal becoming fully guaranteed on the third day of the new league year) to create some space and push money into future years when the salary cap is expected to rise.

This is a curious signing to me. We are paying a RT, who has never played LT in the NFL and minimal of it in college even, and we are gonna move him to the LT position to protect the top QB in the NFL Just seems odd.

Also it's not like Taylor is a top tier tackle. Decent in pass pro. But seems not very good in run schemes. I'm just curious to hear Veach talk about the "why" of this signing. Even though it's not a break the bank deal it is a significant amount of money.

Before any responds....I'm not panicking. Not hysterical. Not trashing the deal. I'm curious and a little concerned. Would love to hear the reasoning. That's it. 

9 minutes ago, dhitter said:

This is a curious signing to me. We are paying a RT, who has never played LT in the NFL and minimal of it in college even, and we are gonna move him to the LT position to protect the top QB in the NFL Just seems odd.

Also it's not like Taylor is a top tier tackle. Decent in pass pro. But seems not very good in run schemes. I'm just curious to hear Veach talk about the "why" of this signing. Even though it's not a break the bank deal it is a significant amount of money.

Before any responds....I'm not panicking. Not hysterical. Not trashing the deal. I'm curious and a little concerned. Would love to hear the reasoning. That's it. 

I echo everything you posted. At least OBJ had played LT at the Pro level .. this guy NADA.  Altho Veach has credibility and this wont cost him his job but IF this is a misesarble failure...he gets MVPAtrick hurt bad the fans will turn on him like Pit Bulls on a RibRoast. I stil have not seen where Veach nor Andy mentioned him as the LT so I have not given up hope

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I echo everything you posted. At least OBJ had played LT at the Pro level .. this guy NADA.  Altho Veach has credibility and this wont cost him his job but IF this is a misesarble failure...he gets MVPAtrick hurt bad the fans will turn on him like Pit Bulls on a RibRoast. I stil have not seen where Veach nor Andy mentioned him as the LT so I have not given up hope

I think that's the key. He may or may not end up at LT but RT is a critical position as well and AFC West has no shortage of pass rushers. I don't mind paying one of the best RTs a top RT money to protect Mahomes and if he can move to the left side and perform at the same level that's just a win at this point.

The critical part is the draft so in order to really focus on the right priorities Reid/Veach should already have a good idea about where Taylor is going to end up. OT is still our biggest need in the draft so may be they pick someone who can end up on either side. 

2 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I think that's the key. He may or may not end up at LT but RT is a critical position as well and AFC West has no shortage of pass rushers. I don't mind paying one of the best RTs a top RT money to protect Mahomes and if he can move to the left side and perform at the same level that's just a win at this point.

The critical part is the draft so in order to really focus on the right priorities Reid/Veach should already have a good idea about where Taylor is going to end up. OT is still our biggest need in the draft so may be they pick someone who can end up on either side. 

Totally agree. I remember listening to an interview with Micth Schwartz and he pretty much echoed the same thing about RT's taking on premium Rushers and how we may see the pay scale equal out. Of course  he being an RT influenced that opinion but it held water

This is from PFF:

3. OT JAWAAN TAYLOR

Contract projection: Available in PFF's free agency rankings

Taylor earned a career-high 76.4 pass-blocking grade in 2022 that landed him in the top 25 among tackles on the year. He allowed pressure on just 2.5% of dropbacks, the third-lowest mark among tackles in the NFL, though quarterback Trevor Lawrence’s lightning-quick 2.51-second average time to throw certainly helped. However, Taylor’s 76.7 pass-blocking grade on true pass sets still ranked 14th among tackles and his 5.2% pressure rate allowed was a top-10 mark. 

On the other hand, Taylor had the highest rate of negatively graded run blocks among tackles in the NFL (22.4%). This is, of course, the less important aspect of tackle play, but it’s undoubtedly still a cause for concern if a lineman is earning a negative grade on more than one out of every five rushing plays.

1 minute ago, dhitter said:

This is from PFF:

3. OT JAWAAN TAYLOR

Taylor earned a career-high 76.4 pass-blocking grade in 2022 that landed him in the top 25 among tackles on the year. He allowed pressure on just 2.5% of dropbacks, the third-lowest mark among tackles in the NFL, though quarterback Trevor Lawrence’s lightning-quick 2.51-second average time to throw certainly helped. However, Taylor’s 76.7 pass-blocking grade on true pass sets still ranked 14th among tackles and his 5.2% pressure rate allowed was a top-10 mark. 

On the other hand, Taylor had the highest rate of negatively graded run blocks among tackles in the NFL (22.4%). This is, of course, the less important aspect of tackle play, but it’s undoubtedly still a cause for concern if a lineman is earning a negative grade on more than one out of every five rushing plays.

the bolded echoes what some of the Jags Wire comments said

and I guess soo much for running the Ball around the edges lol

4 minutes ago, dhitter said:

This is from PFF:

3. OT JAWAAN TAYLOR

So this guys contract is 4 years, and 80 million, 60 of that guaranteed, so in essence you are paying him 15/year, not 20, with the rest being incentives I am assuming.  So wht does a top RT make these days?  My guess is this guy was brought in to be a RT, and LT if they can not secure someone better for the left side.