Jawaan Taylor signing

13 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

So this guys contract is 4 years, and 80 million, 60 of that guaranteed, so in essence you are paying him 15/year, not 20, with the rest being incentives I am assuming.  So wht does a top RT make these days?  My guess is this guy was brought in to be a RT, and LT if they can not secure someone better for the left side.

see what  the Donks just paid the 49rs RT about the same give or take but Taylor only 4 years

56 minutes ago, dhitter said:

This is a curious signing to me. We are paying a RT, who has never played LT in the NFL and minimal of it in college even, and we are gonna move him to the LT position to protect the top QB in the NFL Just seems odd.

Also it's not like Taylor is a top tier tackle. Decent in pass pro. But seems not very good in run schemes. I'm just curious to hear Veach talk about the "why" of this signing. Even though it's not a break the bank deal it is a significant amount of money.

Before any responds....I'm not panicking. Not hysterical. Not trashing the deal. I'm curious and a little concerned. Would love to hear the reasoning. That's it. 

I think you'll have to wait until after the draft to get anything out of Veach. I believe he'll use the narrative of Taylor being planned as LT to his advantage, in order to take (even trading up to take) the best OT they can draft. 

5 minutes ago, Boone said:

I think you'll have to wait until after the draft to get anything out of Veach. I believe he'll use the narrative of Taylor being planned as LT to his advantage, in order to take (even trading up to take) the best OT they can draft. 

he does seem to be  a poker player

19 minutes ago, Boone said:

It's hard to imagine they'd paid him 20 million a year to play right tackle just to game the draft board.  He'd be the highest paid right tackle in the league.  

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

This is a curious signing to me. We are paying a RT, who has never played LT in the NFL and minimal of it in college even, and we are gonna move him to the LT position to protect the top QB in the NFL Just seems odd.

Also it's not like Taylor is a top tier tackle. Decent in pass pro. But seems not very good in run schemes. I'm just curious to hear Veach talk about the "why" of this signing. Even though it's not a break the bank deal it is a significant amount of money.

Before any responds....I'm not panicking. Not hysterical. Not trashing the deal. I'm curious and a little concerned. Would love to hear the reasoning. That's it. 

He’s EXTREMELY athletic. Great footwork. 
the idea is an athlete at the position which will help with mahomes floating all over. 

2 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

It's hard to imagine they'd paid him 20 million a year to play right tackle just to game the draft board.  He'd be the highest paid right tackle in the league.  

Well... for this year, anyway.

When you're always picking low because you're a perennial champion, you need nonconventional thinking.

I could see them spending additional money for an existing LT... or dealing draft capital to get their LTOTF.

Patrick's injuries likely put a bug up their ass to get serious about the OL instead of converting RTs trying to save $$.  If anyone can pull it off, Andy/Veach can.

Our defense is young and much improved. We already have a solid running attack. We have a good (not great, but respectable) compliment of receivers with promising rookies.

As Patrick goes, so goes the team. Give him what he needs to cement his status as GOAT.

54 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

And if we paired that with a stud LT on a rookie contract, I don't see an issue with it. 

Many stud DEs line up over the RT position. When we put Jones at DE, he's almost always against the RT. We haven't had stability at RT since we paid $$ for Schwartz, so if Taylor ends up being the highest paid RT and only gives up 1 or 2 sacks for the year, then it's $$ well spent. 

10 minutes ago, Boone said:

And if we paired that with a stud LT on a rookie contract, I don't see an issue with it. 

Many stud DEs line up over the RT position. When we put Jones at DE, he's almost always against the RT. We haven't had stability at RT since we paid $$ for Schwartz, so if Taylor ends up being the highest paid RT and only gives up 1 or 2 sacks for the year, then it's $$ well spent. 

I don't see an issue with having a good LT and RT either.  We saw the benefit of that Fisher and Schwartz.  And Roaf and Tait.  I just don't think they did all that just to trick everyone about our draft board.  Either they want him to play LT or they want him to play RT.  I'm good either way.  

Got a chance to watch a few of Taylor's games.  Reminds me of Mitch Schwartz but more athletic.

Really good pass protector and didn't see them giving him much help.  Just ok in the run game.  I can see why they wanted him as you can leave him on an island against even top pass rushers.  Don't care that much about his run blocking.  I think he'll do well on the left if that's the plan.  

Also there are outs in the contract after each of the first 2 years.  20m of the reported guarantees don't actually guarantee until after new league year starts next year.

Pass rush is coming from both sides and obviously the blind side aspect is always going to be more critical but RT is no longer just an afterthought on the line. Right now 8 RTs are making more than 15 million per year and Taylor is the youngest at 26 (making the most). I don't see any issues with this signing even if he's signed to just be the RT. Next year he'll no longer be the most expensive but Mahomes will have a lot less to worry about on one side of the line. 

Apparently Taylor was highly regarded coming out of HS. His only issue was his weight which he trimmed down so he could play for Florida. Was the 3rd pick in the 2nd round of the draft when he came out. Like most upper level picks his pluses outweigh his minuses. He spent his whole life in Florida. Wonder how he will adapt to Decembers at Arrowhead?

35 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Apparently Taylor was highly regarded coming out of HS. His only issue was his weight which he trimmed down so he could play for Florida. Was the 3rd pick in the 2nd round of the draft when he came out. Like most upper level picks his pluses outweigh his minuses. He spent his whole life in Florida. Wonder how he will adapt to Decembers at Arrowhead?

or great BBQ  over seafood?

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

I don't see an issue with having a good LT and RT either.  We saw the benefit of that Fisher and Schwartz.  And Roaf and Tait.  I just don't think they did all that just to trick everyone about our draft board.  Either they want him to play LT or they want him to play RT.  I'm good either way.  

Trick? No, I just think that in addition to being a great signing, Taylor's talent/flexibility gives the Chiefs some ambiguity when other teams try to figure out what position KC will draft next.  Veach does a great job of not telegraphing his plan - blowing up the OLine one year, remaking the secondary the next - no one saw it coming until after the dust settled.  KC has also said many times over the years that they prefer OLinemen be able to play more than 1 position (although we usually attribute that trait more to interior OLine than to OTs).  Certainly not the main reason to sign him, but I don't see Taylor's signing as proof we won't consider drafting a LT.

I really think the LT stuff is a lot of media conjecture right now based on his contract but the top RTs were at 18-19.5 AAV. It's not that far-fetched that Taylor could come in as a RT at 20.0. I had him at 17.5 around New Year's on a 5/87 deal. I hope he stays at RT and Veach finds a LT by either trading for Tunsil or going up for Broderick Jones. If you go get Tunsil, you're probably losing Thuney next year but I think I'd rather have the bookends and then grab a good guard prospect this year around the 3rd/4th round like Braeden Daniels or Tyler Steen to get ready.

We'll see what happens but I'm just not sold on the assumption that a career RT, including college, is suddenly coming in here to play LT. 

4 minutes ago, Calichief said:

He gave up the most pressures of any LT. If Mahomes wasn't a freakin magician, those sack totals probably would have doubled. I agree, Brown is not an NFL-quality LT. He should be a RT for a team that likes to run the football more.

12 minutes ago, kccrow said:

He gave up the most pressures of any LT. If Mahomes wasn't a freakin magician, those sack totals probably would have doubled. I agree, Brown is not an NFL-quality LT. He should be a RT for a team that likes to run the football more.

Yea. Or sign the deal we offered originally and come back and win.

he looks pretty dumb at the moment 

1 hour ago, kccrow said:

I really think the LT stuff is a lot of media conjecture right now based on his contract but the top RTs were at 18-19.5 AAV. It's not that far-fetched that Taylor could come in as a RT at 20.0. I had him at 17.5 around New Year's on a 5/87 deal. I hope he stays at RT and Veach finds a LT by either trading for Tunsil or going up for Broderick Jones. If you go get Tunsil, you're probably losing Thuney next year but I think I'd rather have the bookends and then grab a good guard prospect this year around the 3rd/4th round like Braeden Daniels or Tyler Steen to get ready.

We'll see what happens but I'm just not sold on the assumption that a career RT, including college, is suddenly coming in here to play LT. 

13m dead cap if they cut thuney after this next year.  9m cap savings.  If post June 1, 6m per dead cap + 16m cap savings.  Doable.