Jawaan Taylor signing

11 hours ago, reesebobby said:

It's hard to imagine they'd paid him 20 million a year to play right tackle just to game the draft board.  He'd be the highest paid right tackle in the league.  

I agree, but then we would have a very cheap LT for the duration of that contract, so it would sort of balance out the contracts. 

McGlinchey got 87.5 with 50 guaranteed and he's an ok pass protector.  Great run blocker but who gives a shit.  

Salaries are starting to catch up with the reality that a lot of great pass rushers line up vs the right tackle.

Honestly left or right doesn't matter. 

33 minutes ago, xen said:

McGlinchey got 87.5 with 50 guaranteed and he's an ok pass protector.  Great run blocker but who gives a shit.  

Salaries are starting to catch up with the reality that a lot of great pass rushers line up vs the right tackle.

Yes. 
McGlinchy was terrible this year. I watch all their games. He was the weak link. 

6 hours ago, xen said:

13m dead cap if they cut thuney after this next year.  9m cap savings.  If post June 1, 6m per dead cap + 16m cap savings.  Doable.

Not sure about the cap situation but we don't have to pay anyone real money on the line next year as both Creed and Smith have another year under contract and will only get extensions with minimal cap hit in year one. There's a very good possibility that Thuney will stay for another year and then leave.

The rest of the in-house FAs will likely not cost more than the increase in cap which seems to be climbing higher than ever before.

10 hours ago, xen said:

I've always been under the impression that part of the reason for better pass protection on the left side was that right handed quarterbacks can see pressure from the right side and not the left.  

4 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I've always been under the impression that part of the reason for better pass protection on the left side was that right handed quarterbacks can see pressure from the right side and not the left.  

Same here. I think it's the only concern at this point and good pass rushers wanted to be on the blind side. Nowadays teams need solid pass rushers on both sides and even though the blind side is always a bit riskier both tackles have to be solid. 

33 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Then 24 per the next 3.   So yes a first round tackle would offset those amounts in 2024-2026.  

The Chiefs will end up with a very expensive O-line soon.  Thuney and Taylor will both be expensive in 2024 and Creed will deserve top OC pay.  Smith will get a contract.  If the cap goes up as much as expected, maybe the Chiefs can absorb the hits, but other teams with that added space will be bidding for the Chiefs' starters when they are ready for their big contracts.  In Veach we trust.  

7 hours ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs will end up with a very expensive O-line soon.  Thuney and Taylor will both be expensive in 2024 and Creed will deserve top OC pay.  Smith will get a contract.  If the cap goes up as much as expected, maybe the Chiefs can absorb the hits, but other teams with that added space will be bidding for the Chiefs' starters when they are ready for their big contracts.  In Veach we trust.  

The Jawaan Taylor contract has an out a year after Creed and Trey Smith are up for contracts.  Knowing we can resign both those guys for low first year cap hits the same year as Jawaan's last big payday before we have an out makes it doable and buys time to find younger tackles.  Veach be playing chess while rest of AFC West be shooting marbles.

30 minutes ago, xen said:

The Jawaan Taylor contract has an out a year after Creed and Trey Smith are up for contracts.  Knowing we can resign both those guys for low first year cap hits the same year as Jawaan's last big payday before we have an out makes it doable and buys time to find younger tackles.  Veach be playing chess while rest of AFC West be shooting marbles.

He is organizing these things to perfection on the Oline.

Jawaan Taylor open to playing whatever position helps Chiefs win championships

Charles Goldman

Thu, March 16, 2023 at 2:21 PM CDT

The Kansas City Chiefs introduced their new offensive tackle, Jawaan Taylor, on Thursday.

There has been some question about where Taylor might play, with reports indicating that he might make the switch to the left tackle spot for Kansas City. This would come after spending the last four seasons of his career playing right tackle with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Speaking with members of the media, Taylor explained that the team approached him about potentially playing the left side, noting that he’ll be happy to play anywhere so long as he’s contributing to the team’s end goal.

“Yes, I was definitely told about the left tackle position,” Taylor began. “But I think I’m definitely able — athletic enough — to make the switch over. Very, very versatile, so I feel like I can go out and make the switch pretty seamless. But, at the end of the day, if they need me to switch over and play other positions, I’m open to doing it. I’m just here to try and help this team win championships.”

As for what goes into making the switch to left tackle, Taylor explained to reporters that it’s all about the hips, feet and trusting your coaching.

“Left tackle, right tackle, it’s just a flip of the hips honestly,” Taylor said. “Other than that, if you’re athletic enough and you trust your feet. You’ve got great coaching as well, which I know that’s here (in Kansas City). I feel like the transition will be pretty good.”

The last time that Taylor started a game at left tackle was in 2017 with the Florida Gators. He reminisced about that opportunity and expressed his excitement to potentially revisit that in Kansas City.

“It was fun,” Taylor said. “At the time we had a couple of injuries on the team. We had to move a couple of guys around on the line. They trusted me to go over there and play left tackle for the last two games of the season. Now that I have the opportunity to play it again, I’m very, very excited for it and I’m embracing the opportunity. I’m just getting ready to go and I should be ready to go by the time we report back (OTAs).”

Taylor is set to wear the No. 74 jersey in Kansas City, which he last wore as a standout high school football player

It's late, got off work, and I'm slightly intoxicated.  So take what i'm saying with a grant of salt, LOL. As far as pass protection, this dude already looks better than OBJ IMHO. My hope is the Chiefs can find a LT in the draft,  and keep him on the right. If he has to go to the left, I believe the Chiefs may be ok. 

16 hours ago, qnet said:

It's late, got off work, and I'm slightly intoxicated.  So take what i'm saying with a grant of salt, LOL. As far as pass protection, this dude already looks better than OBJ IMHO. My hope is the Chiefs can find a LT in the draft,  and keep him on the right. If he has to go to the left, I believe the Chiefs may be ok. 

How about if the Chiefs draft an OT and play him on the right while developing and then move him to the left if he can beat out Taylor down the road. 

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

How about if the Chiefs draft an OT and play him on the right while developing and then move him to the left if he can beat out Taylor down the road. 

Just get a LT and keep Taylor at RT. I think keeping the man where he has been is best if we can do it. Also, quit using common sense, it kills the board. 

20 hours ago, qnet said:

They definitely opened up a lot of possibilities.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Just get a LT and keep Taylor at RT. I think keeping the man where he has been is best if we can do it. Also, quit using common sense, it kills the board. 

Good plan, but it's not that easy to find a plug and play LT, especially drafting at the end of the rounds.   And don't fall for the "just trade up" argument.  To get one of the top three in this year's draft would probably cost most of the day one and day two picks or future early picks.  Too risky, IMHO

On 3/15/2023 at 9:02 AM, reesebobby said:

Except Pat has spidey sense so doesn't matter.

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

Good plan, but it's not that easy to find a plug and play LT, especially drafting at the end of the rounds.   And don't fall for the "just trade up" argument.  To get one of the top three in this year's draft would probably cost most of the day one and day two picks or future early picks.  Too risky, IMHO

I don't think Broderick Jones is going to suck and he's probably available at 13 right before New England would draft him.

If the Packers get that pick from New York, and they already pick at 15, I would entertain them with:

2023 1st #31
2024 1st
2023 2nd #63
2023 3rd #95

for

2023 1st #13
2023 3rd #78
2023 5th #149

I'm pretty sure that fits both trade charts almost to a T.

I mean, that's 1 pick removed from basically saying you're giving up two 2s and a 4 for a top 15-LT and a 5. 

I wouldn't call that risky.

I think we are still one more draft away from having the luxury to go get a player like Jones.  We have some key players coming up for extensions and FA.  Can't keep them all.  I don't think we have enough wr depth or DL depth to trade most of this draft to pick up one tackle.  

I think we signed Jawaan Taylor to avoid this scenario.   I would rather have Darnell Wright and Cedric Tillman or some combo of DE/WR DE/OT or OT/Wr plus that 1st next year than Broderick Jones.  

6 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I think we are still one more draft away from having the luxury to go get a player like Jones.  We have some key players coming up for extensions and FA.  Can't keep them all.  I don't think we have enough wr depth or DL depth to trade most of this draft to pick up one tackle.  

I think we signed Jawaan Taylor to avoid this scenario.   I would rather have Darnell Wright and Cedric Tillman or some combo of DE/WR DE/OT or OT/Wr plus that 1st next year than Broderick Jones.  

Agree.  I don't see Broderick Jones as that much more than Harrison or Wright, especially since the Taylor signing.  If the top three OT come off the board in the top twenty, which is likely, then I'd not be disappointed if the Chiefs moved up to insure Harrison or Wright but we're talking moving a few slots, not 15 which would just be too expensive.  There may be other prospects who the Chiefs have slotted to play RT.  Veach seems to find good fits that we don't discuss here.