Jawaan Taylor signing

4 hours ago, kkuenn said:

In this article, this is said to be a head scratcher signing:

Seth Walder, sports analytics writer: OT Jawaan Taylor to the Kansas City Chiefs. Taylor is a fine pass-protector, but he's not elite. Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence's quick release made Taylor look better than he is last season. And Taylor is a weakness in the run game. If he plays left tackle, he's a downgrade from Orlando Brown Jr., but he's getting more money per year than Brown signed for in Cincinnati.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35872038/nfl-free-agency-2023-best-worst-deals-signings-moves-most-improved-teams

I hope they know how they will fit him at LT or get a LT and keep him at RT. He is great at pass pro, which is what keeps Mahomes upright and healthy. I just hope we dont have to provide him with chipping help and such as we seemed to have to do with Orlando.

Then in said article it states a great signing:

Moody: OT Jawaan Taylor to the Kansas City Chiefs. The soon-to-be 25-year-old is entering his prime and expected to play left tackle for Kansas City. The Chiefs will probably address the right side of their offensive line at next month's draft, but providing the top quarterback in the game blindside protection is never a bad idea. Taylor was one of the best tackles available on the market.

Chalk it up to typical flapping head bullshit from Seth Walder.  The media has been overestimating OBJ simply cause he makes pro bowls.  People who actually watch him know the truth.  Great run blocker, average pass blocker, can dominate the right matchups or get dominated in the wrong ones.  We're trading great run blocking for great pass blocking.  I'll take that all day.

59 minutes ago, xen said:

Chalk it up to typical flapping head bullshit from Seth Walder.  The media has been overestimating OBJ simply cause he makes pro bowls.  People who actually watch him know the truth.  Great run blocker, average pass blocker, can dominate the right matchups or get dominated in the wrong ones.  We're trading great run blocking for great pass blocking.  I'll take that all day.

yep. And we can scheme the running game around a vulnerable tackle by running 12's... much better to protect the franchise behind center... 

1 hour ago, mex said:

yep. And we can scheme the running game around a vulnerable tackle by running 12's... much better to protect the franchise behind center... 

Plan B would include drafting Wright and putting him alongside Smith on the right side and follow those two road graders.  

4 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Plan B would include drafting Wright and putting him alongside Smith on the right side and follow those two road graders.  

Not that Wright wouldn't be great... but I still kinda think we'll go for Harrison. Last season he had like 450 passing snaps and allowed a whopping 9 pressures. His average Mock ranking puts him at 4th best OT... which means he's within reach.

Guy could be our LTOTF

1 minute ago, mex said:

Not that Wright wouldn't be great... but I still kinda think we'll go for Harrison. Last season he had like 450 passing snaps and allowed a whopping 9 pressures. His average Mock ranking puts him at 4th best OT... which means he's within reach.

Guy could be our LTOTF

Harrison would fit the Chiefs needs best, but Xen says he's not ready and no one can challenge Xen. 

2 hours ago, mex said:

Guy could be our LTOTF

Anton Harrison would be nice or a DT next to Jones.

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

Harrison would fit the Chiefs needs best, but Xen says he's not ready and no one can challenge Xen. 

I think you're thinking of Crow, who I believe said he wants Jones or skip OT.  I like Harrison.  I actually like quite a few of the OTs, especially after FA, since it opens up RT's to draft as well.  

But yes, agreed on the last part.

8 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I would also watch for Jaelyn duncan. Guy could slide up to end of 1st to mid 2nd round. If he is there mid 2nd round and we go other than OT with our first pick, I could see a trade up for someone like him with our 2nd round pick.

Overview
Highly athletic four-year starter at left tackle who might have the best chance to stick in the league as a zone-scheme guard. It’s easy to love the athletic flashes, but it’s challenging to love the complete body of work when studying the game tape. Duncan rarely plays with enough finish and his man is frequently near the final action because of it. He has the foot speed to protect as a left tackle, but his ability to anchor is a major concern. His lateral quickness should work to his advantage as a move blocker, but he’ll need to unearth enough grit to stand up to NFL bullies at the point of attack to make it.
Strengths
  • Four-year starter at left tackle.
  • Very loose-hipped and fluid when working in space.
  • Smooth acceleration when asked to pull.
  • Comes off the ball with adequate bend and pad level.
  • Feet to jump and steer edge defenders on kickout blocks.
  • Quality slide quickness in his pass sets.
  • Athletic ability improves recovery potential when beaten.
Weaknesses
  • Gets out in space easily but fails to accomplish much with those opportunities.
  • Lets opponents off the hook with passive finishes.
  • Barely delivers glancing blows to secure first block on combos.
  • Lack of length gets exposed in protection duties.
  • Speed rushers drive through his outside edge too easily.
  • Anchor unable to withstand continuous pressure.

5 hours ago, xen said:

I think you're thinking of Crow, who I believe said he wants Jones or skip OT.  I like Harrison.  I actually like quite a few of the OTs, especially after FA, since it opens up RT's to draft as well.  

But yes, agreed on the last part.

Harrison is my choice because the top three are out of reach for any reasonable trade up.  Wright is more likely to be there at #31 since he seems to be a RT only.  Either would work for the Chiefs and they could probably get at least one of them without spending too much trade capital.  What do you think about the second guy from OSU as a RT?  

32 minutes ago, jetlord said:

What do you think about the second guy from OSU as a RT?  

He has potential... it's one of those risk/reward deals that only coaches will see benefits/risks.

He's a road grader in the running game... but his size makes me worry about fast edge guys with first-step twitch. 

49 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Harrison is my choice because the top three are out of reach for any reasonable trade up.  Wright is more likely to be there at #31 since he seems to be a RT only.  Either would work for the Chiefs and they could probably get at least one of them without spending too much trade capital.  What do you think about the second guy from OSU as a RT?  

OBJ with slightly better feet

16 minutes ago, mex said:

He has potential... it's one of those risk/reward deals that only coaches will see benefits/risks.

He's a road grader in the running game... but his size makes me worry about fast edge guys with first-step twitch. 

Yes he'll struggle in the same matchups OBJ did

2 hours ago, xen said:

I dunno.  Kinda leaning towards WR or DE in first.  Maybe get one of the 2nd or 3rd tier OTs to develop and let Niang and Kinnard fight it out this year.

It's hard to say not knowing the level of confidence Andy H has in those guys. 

I see the need for WR as much less important than the need to protect the guy throwing the ball to the WR. I hate these OL musical chairs every year... esp knowing next year we got to nail down Creed and Trey.

I want a LTOTF who can provide depth this year while learning, and allow us room to focus on the other guys. Our OL should always be a priority... I just hate that every year it seems we're looking for tackles. You never know where we'll be when the music stops.

Then we need DE/Edge... then we can find a WR. I think Andy, Veach and Patrick proved this year that we don't need huge name WRs... and can get it down with guys that are affordable. Hell, look how many WRs we had in the AFCCG... that tells me it's more important to keep MVPat upright.

With all of our draft picks, we can find a DE, WR and we can still give up a few to move up for a high priority OT.

Just my .03.

1 hour ago, mex said:

It's hard to say not knowing the level of confidence Andy H has in those guys. 

I see the need for WR as much less important than the need to protect the guy throwing the ball to the WR. I hate these OL musical chairs every year... esp knowing next year we got to nail down Creed and Trey.

I want a LTOTF who can provide depth this year while learning, and allow us room to focus on the other guys. Our OL should always be a priority... I just hate that every year it seems we're looking for tackles. You never know where we'll be when the music stops.

Then we need DE/Edge... then we can find a WR. I think Andy, Veach and Patrick proved this year that we don't need huge name WRs... and can get it down with guys that are affordable. Hell, look how many WRs we had in the AFCCG... that tells me it's more important to keep MVPat upright.

With all of our draft picks, we can find a DE, WR and we can still give up a few to move up for a high priority OT.

Just my .03.

Creed and Trey are not UFA's until 2025.

I get it.  Though I can say the same thing about defensive end and the importance of of the complimentary pass rush supporting Chris Jones so he can wreck faces.  At WR i can point out our defacto number one receiver is 34 and a tight end.

I just want a good player don't care which of those.  

8 minutes ago, xen said:

Creed and Trey are not UFA's until 2025.

I get it.  Though I can say the same thing about defensive end and the importance of of the complimentary pass rush supporting Chris Jones so he can wreck faces.  At WR i can point out our defacto number one receiver is 34 and a tight end.

I just want a good player don't care which of those.  

It will be interesting to see what the front office thinks. We'll know soon enough... still hoping they could find a way to sign Dhop to fill the WR room... then find out what they want more... OT or DE.

And for the love of God PLEASE NO OBJ DRAMA. 

But we know what Andy always says about that... "I can fix him." :lol: 

6 minutes ago, mex said:

It will be interesting to see what the front office thinks. We'll know soon enough... still hoping they could find a way to sign Dhop to fill the WR room... then find out what they want more... OT or DE.

And for the love of God PLEASE NO OBJ DRAMA. 

But we know what Andy always says about that... "I can fix him." :lol: 

Whatever the Chiefs do (or don't do) in FA, they will likely draft a new WR every year of the Mahomes era.  Signing Hopkins would only lower the priority.  

8 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Whatever the Chiefs do (or don't do) in FA, they will likely draft a new WR every year of the Mahomes era.  Signing Hopkins would only lower the priority.  

which I am perfectly fine with, being as how we need an OTOTF and a DE big time.

4 minutes ago, mex said:

Great WRs can be had on day 2.  This is just a few... but you get the picture

T. J. Houshmandzadeh - rd 7

Joe Horn - rd 5

Marques Colston - rd 7

Steve Largent - rd 4

Stephone Paige was an undrafted free agent. I never get tired of pointing that out. 

• 4 weeks later...
Chiefs Wire

Chiefs HC Andy Reid confident in Jawaan Taylor’s ability to play left tackle

Charles Goldman
Mon, April 17, 2023 at 12:46 PM CDT

Kansas City Chiefs HC Andy Reid addressed the media at the onset of the offseason workout program on Monday, April 17.

This was the first time that media members had been able to chat with Coach Reid since the conclusion of the 2022 NFL season. Naturally, there were a lot of questions about some of the newest additions to the team.

One of those additions is Jawaan Taylor, who is currently expected to make a switch from right tackle to left tackle after almost exclusively playing on the right side during his NFL career. Reid seems quite excited about what he’s seen from Taylor when he was with the Jacksonville Jaguars and expressed full confidence in his ability to make the switch to left tackle.

“I liked him. I like his tape,” Reid said. “We saw him firsthand a couple of times too. Even though he was on the right side I think he can transfer over to the left side. He’s really a good athlete and I think he’s excited about that.”

Taylor played just 18 snaps last season at the left tackle position, but most of them were on heavy looks where he was aligned outside the team’s true left tackle. He started two games with the Florida Gators at the left tackle position in 2017, but that’s about the extent of his experience at the position.

While Reid expressed confidence in his ability to make the switch, he also expressed confidence in Taylor’s versatility. He seems to believe that he has the ability to play any position on the offensive line.

“Now, that doesn’t mean he can’t play the right side,” Reid said. “If we got another left tackle, he could play the right side. He gives you flexibility. He could probably jump in at guard. He’s smart. He could probably play center.

It appears that Reid and Brett Veach are keeping their options open with the upcoming 2023 NFL draft. The ultimate goal seems to be having as much flexibility as possible along the offensive line. Taylor appears to be a highly coveted piece in that puzzle for the time being.

“He’s a pretty talented kid,” Reid said. “We look forward to getting him in here. I think that was a great pickup by Brett (Veach).”