Jawaan Taylor signing

On 4/17/2023 at 9:47 PM, oldtimer said:
Chiefs Wire

Chiefs HC Andy Reid confident in Jawaan Taylor’s ability to play left tackle

Charles Goldman
Mon, April 17, 2023 at 12:46 PM CDT

Kansas City Chiefs HC Andy Reid addressed the media at the onset of the offseason workout program on Monday, April 17.

This was the first time that media members had been able to chat with Coach Reid since the conclusion of the 2022 NFL season. Naturally, there were a lot of questions about some of the newest additions to the team.

One of those additions is Jawaan Taylor, who is currently expected to make a switch from right tackle to left tackle after almost exclusively playing on the right side during his NFL career. Reid seems quite excited about what he’s seen from Taylor when he was with the Jacksonville Jaguars and expressed full confidence in his ability to make the switch to left tackle.

“I liked him. I like his tape,” Reid said. “We saw him firsthand a couple of times too. Even though he was on the right side I think he can transfer over to the left side. He’s really a good athlete and I think he’s excited about that.”

Taylor played just 18 snaps last season at the left tackle position, but most of them were on heavy looks where he was aligned outside the team’s true left tackle. He started two games with the Florida Gators at the left tackle position in 2017, but that’s about the extent of his experience at the position.

While Reid expressed confidence in his ability to make the switch, he also expressed confidence in Taylor’s versatility. He seems to believe that he has the ability to play any position on the offensive line.

“Now, that doesn’t mean he can’t play the right side,” Reid said. “If we got another left tackle, he could play the right side. He gives you flexibility. He could probably jump in at guard. He’s smart. He could probably play center.

It appears that Reid and Brett Veach are keeping their options open with the upcoming 2023 NFL draft. The ultimate goal seems to be having as much flexibility as possible along the offensive line. Taylor appears to be a highly coveted piece in that puzzle for the time being.

“He’s a pretty talented kid,” Reid said. “We look forward to getting him in here. I think that was a great pickup by Brett (Veach).”

Makes more sense to pick a LT and keep him on the right side, otherwise where is the upgrade from OBJ? I guess they want to have some sort of flexibility during the draft. 

3 hours ago, sith13 said:

Makes more sense to pick a LT and keep him on the right side, otherwise where is the upgrade from OBJ? I guess they want to have some sort of flexibility during the draft. 

I don't see it a just an upgrade from OBJ.  It's an upgrade from OBJ and Wylie.  There's no certainty that Taylor will be that great at LT.  There's even bigger questions on whether Niang can play effectively for 20 games without getting hurt or even if he's back to 2021 form.  If the Chiefs pick a RT in the draft, half the problem is solved.  If they get one of the LTs, the problem is more likely solved if the draftee is a plug and play guy.  

1 hour ago, SEMO said:

Stop stealing my thunder.  I already called that and Jet said his head would explode.

Already got the primers inserted.  Trading away draft capital for a round two quality receiver should cause the whole of Chiefs Kingdom to explode.  The Chiefs won the SB in the second half because the O-line kept Mahomes clean against the vaunted Philly defense.  If they create and keep an elite line, Mahomes will find a way to score with day two receivers.  If they try to go with an out of position Taylor and an injured Niang, Mahomes will be lucky to remain available for the playoffs. 

27 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Already got the primers inserted.  Trading away draft capital for a round two quality receiver should cause the whole of Chiefs Kingdom to explode.  The Chiefs won the SB in the second half because the O-line kept Mahomes clean against the vaunted Philly defense.  If they create and keep an elite line, Mahomes will find a way to score with day two receivers.  If they try to go with an out of position Taylor and an injured Niang, Mahomes will be lucky to remain available for the playoffs. 

I actually think now that Flowers may be the pick.  Seth made some good points yesterday about his fit into KC’s O.  Could probably get him at 31. 

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

I don't see it a just an upgrade from OBJ.  It's an upgrade from OBJ and Wylie.  There's no certainty that Taylor will be that great at LT.  There's even bigger questions on whether Niang can play effectively for 20 games without getting hurt or even if he's back to 2021 form.  If the Chiefs pick a RT in the draft, half the problem is solved.  If they get one of the LTs, the problem is more likely solved if the draftee is a plug and play guy.  

Whomever plays LT will likely get some boost from Thuney next to him but in the end I hope the contract doesn't force the Chiefs to force Taylor into LT if that's not the best value for the team. A decent LT with a great RT may be a very realistic goal this year. 

SEMO
This post was recognized by SEMO!

xen was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 500 points.

4 hours ago, SEMO said:

Stop stealing my thunder.  I already called that and Jet said his head would explode.

I called it way before that.  Johnston and Iosivas are my KC draft crushes.  Will also accept Zay and Trey.  Actually that might be better since it rhymes.

13 hours ago, jetlord said:

There’s no certainty a rookie tackle will be great or even good