FA Wide Receivers Calling Mahomes

Patrick Mahomes being called by free-agent receivers: report | The Kansas City Star

Palmer talked about the Chiefs’ plans for wide receiver this offseason and then revealed opposing players are reaching out to Mahomes.

“They expect, or hope I should say, to resign JuJu Smith-Schuster and bring him back,” Palmer said of the Chiefs. “So it would be essentially the same group around Patrick Mahomes that he finished the season with and won the Super Bowl with. Obviously the other pass catcher you can say is Travis Kelce in that mix.

“It doesn’t mean they’re done looking. It doesn’t mean also that other wide receivers, I’m told, are not blowing up Patrick Mahomes’ phone. It’s my understanding guys have been calling him this entire offseason saying, ‘Can I come to Kansas City? Can I come and play with you guys?’ Like, that is a real thing that is happening.

“So I’m not saying they’re adding anybody else. And (the Chiefs’) Brett Veach is one of these general managers (like) we’ve talked about how (Eagles GM Howie) Roseman will always be weighing every single option that is out there on the table. There are receivers that are interested, but right now the plan appears to be bringing back everybody that they finished the season with, which isn’t a terrible thing to have. But again, when everybody wants to come, maybe a discount could be there in play, and it could be interesting.”

38 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

who is "Palmer"? It's his "understanding"...pfft pretty safe "understanding"  I mean who wouldn't want to be thrown TDs from MVPAT.. question is how cheap are they willing to play for? 

He covers the chiefs for the big networks. He is pretty locked in.

2 hours ago, Calichief said:

He covers the chiefs for the big networks. He is pretty locked in.

Seems like he's just stating the obvious.  Chiefs have Toney, Moore, and MVS and they would like JuJu back if the price is right.  Other WRs would like to play in KC with Mahomes.  Where's the news in that? 

4 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Seems like he's just stating the obvious.  Chiefs have Toney, Moore, and MVS and they would like JuJu back if the price is right.  Other WRs would like to play in KC with Mahomes.  Where's the news in that? 

there is non and the the Patrick's phone "Blowing Up" from calls is Palangi style hyperbole at it's worst.  

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

I didn’t say there was.

I was answering a question 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

I thought the Chiefs were looking for an experienced, cheap #1 as a one year rental.

The way the offense operates, I don’t see a #1.  Everyone has roles, but on any given play, Pat is gonna go through progressions and everyone is game.  I don’t think of the current offense as 1, 2,3 etc, but more as field stretcher, jet sweep guy, possession receiver etc.  when I say 4th or 5th receiver, I’m more referencing 4th or 5th guy on the field, bc outside of Kelce, no one is going to be the lead dog. The more talent we have on the outside offensively, the more balanced we become.  

7 minutes ago, moons314 said:

The way the offense operates, I don’t see a #1.  Everyone has roles, but on any given play, Pat is gonna go through progressions and everyone is game.  I don’t think of the current offense as 1, 2,3 etc, but more as field stretcher, jet sweep guy, possession receiver etc.  when I say 4th or 5th receiver, I’m more referencing 4th or 5th guy on the field, bc outside of Kelce, no one is going to be the lead dog. The more talent we have on the outside offensively, the more balanced we become.  

They didn't have one this past season although JuJu seemed to be a go-to guy when Kelce was blanketed.  If Hopkins or OBJ was on the team, that might change.  Not saying Patrick wouldn't spread the ball around.  He did that with Hill on the team. But a Hopkins type would make Toney and Moore that much more effective and other defenses would have to consider him the #1 threat.