Chiefs Sign DT Charles Omenihu

7 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

With Omenihu, we need to look at the end of the story on Arrowhead Pride. "

'Omenihu was arrested in late January on the suspicion of domestic violence, and he was later released after posting bail. The 49ers said at the time that they felt “very good about the legal process” taking care of itself, and they allowed Omenihu to continue to play.

Nobody has posted about this part of the story here.  This just happened in January during the 49ers playoffs.  He was released on bail, and the 49ers just ignored it and let him play, and left it up to the the "legal process taking care of itself."  Could this have anything to do with his being available?  Was his contract up, or was he released? if he was a FA, was he given an offer by the 49ers? If he was released, why? Why is this story written in such a sparse and ambiguous way without mention of it until the very end. All it talks about are things like his football performance and metrics. What do the 49ers know about this incident or where it is going to go legally? Do they have some more inside information? Being in San Francisco, I would guess so.  I don't know shit, really, but I do know that we do not even know yet if he is going to be prosecuted. All we know is that he is OUT ON BAIL. Period.  That's it.  Generally our experiences with domestic abusers on the Chiefs have not been good.  Just sayin'.  I am very wary about this signing at this point and am not counting on this guy to even play for the Chiefs until the legal process plays out and we find out if it is true or not.  Curb your enthusiasm for now.

Took me a total of 20 seconds to Google all this.

He's a UFA coming off his rookie contract.

He allegedly pushed his girlfriend during an argument.  That is the extent of the allegations.

The only “problem” with this signing is the very real possibility that the Chiefs know, at some point this season, that they will probably lose him to a 4 game suspension for his assault charges. We are going to be jazzed by his pressures and sacks and then they will announce, before a big AFC rivalry game, with Playoff implications, that he must begin serving his NFL suspension. Kinda like what happened last year with Willie Gay Jr. 

I’m just speculating but.. Could still happen that way. In fact I suspect that’s exactly how it will happen. 

5 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

Gotta think Veach and KC did their homework and still felt comfortable enough to sign the guy.   From what was reported about the incident it looks like a he said/ she said situation so who knows if he even gets prosecuted for it. 

I'm sure they did.  But if much is not known what is going to come of it, he certainly has a complete out on his contract in case. But signing it locks him into the Chiefs.  He is apparently good enough that it is worth the signing.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Took me a total of 20 seconds to Google all this.

He's a UFA coming off his rookie contract.

He allegedly pushed his girlfriend during an argument.  That is the extent of the allegations.

That would be great.  Apparently he is really good at football.

Unless he pushed her with a knife or out a window....you know, like we all do in our imaginations :lol:

2 hours ago, gochiefsgo said:

The only “problem” with this signing is the very real possibility that the Chiefs know, at some point this season, that they will probably lose him to a 4 game suspension for his assault charges. We are going to be jazzed by his pressures and sacks and then they will announce, before a big AFC rivalry game, with Playoff implications, that he must begin serving his NFL suspension. Kinda like what happened last year with Willie Gay Jr. 

I’m just speculating but.. Could still happen that way. In fact I suspect that’s exactly how it will happen. 

What better way to replace Clark?

Got this off Arrowhead Addict:

Edge rushers in the NFL last year who had a higher win percentage than Omenihu as a pass rusher:
Myles Garrett
Nick Bosa
Micah Parsons
Za'Darius Smith
Trey Hendrickson

Omenihu was also in the top 15 in total pressures. He turns 26 in August. He will not be an easy replacement.

44 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Versatile and young with the possibility to get better.   I like that and at 8 million per year.  Sounds like we potentially got a steal.

If he has a good season, he'll be wanting a lot more than $8 million.  The Chiefs would have to extend him after this season to keep him.  This seems like a trial signing probably brought on by the DV allegations.  Just hope he wasn't waving a gun that's illegal in California.  

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

If he has a good season, he'll be wanting a lot more than $8 million.  The Chiefs would have to extend him after this season to keep him.  This seems like a trial signing probably brought on by the DV allegations.  Just hope he wasn't waving a gun that's illegal in California.  

Well, he signed a 2 year deal, so it won't be after next season.

2 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

2 year seems weird. A prove it deal is usually a 1 year deal, 2 is maybe a you do well this year and we can extend you during the season next year? Or we could look at it as drafting a DT/DE and let them develop for a year and use depth in year 2?

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

2 year seems weird. A prove it deal is usually a 1 year deal, 2 is maybe a you do well this year and we can extend you during the season next year? Or we could look at it as drafting a DT/DE and let them develop for a year and use depth in year 2?

Veach is definably playing the long game

26 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

But, it can also be sold to the guy as he can bet on himself for 2 years, and maybe get another even bigger deal in a few years!?!?

6 hours ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

He's under contract for two years, but if the Chiefs want to keep him long term, they'll need to extend him before he becomes a FA.  That means after one season.  

8 hours ago, jetlord said:

Or we could just wait the two years and see how he does and then resign him.  Or just use him for two years while some younger guys develop.  Or find another player like him.   Seems like Veach does a pretty good job of finding these types.  

I don't mind the 2-year trial signings. As seen with Clark some defenders just excel in a system and don't live up to big expectations elsewhere. Starting from Haynesworth we have seen way too many guys fail big time. If he's good we'll likely keep him around, if not this could just be another WR-type approach with more bodies in the mix to build a strong rotation. 

On 3/15/2023 at 7:03 AM, oldtimer said:

36 wingspan .... a younger Dunlap?

36 is arm length which is slightly longer than Dunlap's. Omenihu's wingspan is actually 85 1/2  inches which is insane. Needs to learn how to use that length.

Interestingly, there is a website that lists the 58 longest arm lengths in NFL history....and Omenihu is on it!

7 hours ago, dhitter said:

36 is arm length which is slightly longer than Dunlap's. Omenihu's wingspan is actually 85 1/2  inches which is insane. Needs to learn how to use that length.

Interestingly, there is a website that lists the 58 longest arm lengths in NFL history....and Omenihu is on it!

And you know what they always say:  Long arms, long shirtsleeves.