Orlando Brown to Bengals 4/64 million

After looking at it the deal with the Bengals is very similar to what we offered.  It looks way worse but when you consider the upfront money he got and the fact he wasn't making it to year 5 or 6 on the deal we offered its pretty close to the same.   He bet on himself and while he didn't hit it big he didn't lose much and still gets to play LT.   Good on him.   

Glad it worked out that he didn't take the deal last year and Veach has moved on.  It seems to have worked out for all involved.

Some has to do with upfront money, but this deal is significantly lower than what was offered previously. I suspect the Chiefs did not offer anything close to what he was offered last year, but surely was better than what Cincy offered.  Personally, I am fine with him moving on. I think we will be better off in the long run. 

6 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Yikes.  Went form 6/139 to 6/64.

Dude's agent is a joke.

Wasn't it 4/64?

If so still low but to be honest I don't think there's a market higher than that for him. Pundits call him the #1 FA for the same reason they are advocating for the billion dollar deal for Lamar. 

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

Wasn't it 4/64?

If so still low but to be honest I don't think there's a market higher than that for him. Pundits call him the #1 FA for the same reason they are advocating for the billion dollar deal for Lamar. 

Yeah ...if Orlando Brown Jr. is the top offensive line prospect in FA then.....it's a down year. Not that he is horrible. But the #1 prospect? 🙄

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

Wasn't it 4/64?

It was 4/64 but in reality it's 3 years at @ 16 per.  He did get the largest signing bonus ever for an OL at 30m upfront and he met his goal of prioritizing a front loaded contract but 16 per is a far cry from what he was asking for.  His daddy did a number on his head as careers are short and he should be prioritizing contract and team fit over what side he plays on.  The 3 year totals aren't that far off from what McGlinchey got to play the right side in Denver.

I think it outlines the outdated approach of a decent guy at LT being more valuable than a solid guy at RT. Turns out teams don't think the same and focus on the production. Obviously LT is the most critical position for a team with a right handed franchise QB but nobody is going to throw huge money to questionable guys just for the sake of the position. As seen in Lamar situation even the QB isn't getting the big money by default. 

14 minutes ago, West said:

It may be me, but the slow start OBJ had last season was not something Reid and Co valued.  OBJ "played himself" into game shape.

I think KC still needs a top tier WR, and a LT before the draft....

w

but how to pay for them? Unless something really mind blowing happens there are no  "Top Tier" LTs  available

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

but how to pay for them? Unless something really mind blowing happens there are no  "Top Tier" LTs  available

Tunsil trade, get OBJ or Hopkins. Go into draft for a DT stud next to Jones. Then picks for depth development at 3rd S, TE and any areas knowing we will have FA at etc.

I gotta say I don't pity cincy... now that OBJ has his pockets full, I'm wondering what will happen to his performance.

I mean, he was OK this year and played decent in the playoffs... but he knew from the git-go it was a contract year and I'm thinking he played his very best. 

T'will be interesting to see how he plays this season with a full belly.

Just now, mex said:

I gotta say I don't pity cincy... now that OBJ has his pockets full, I'm wondering what will happen to his performance.

I mean, he was OK this year and played decent in the playoffs... but he knew from the git-go it was a contract year and I'm thinking he played his very best. 

T'will be interesting to see how he plays this season with a full belly.

He’s still the same tackle that can’t block a speed rusher.  He’ll be fine if Burrow is running a balanced offense with play action, Brown will be fine.  My concern would be in that 4th quarter situation where the defense knows they’re gonna drop back every play.  If I have a speed rusher and I’m a dc I’m salivating at that situation 

mex
This post was recognized by mex!

jetlord was awarded the badge 'Superstar' and 10 points.

24 minutes ago, moons314 said:

He’s still the same tackle that can’t block a speed rusher.  He’ll be fine if Burrow is running a balanced offense with play action, Brown will be fine.  My concern would be in that 4th quarter situation where the defense knows they’re gonna drop back every play.  If I have a speed rusher and I’m a dc I’m salivating at that situation 

Wouldn't it be sweet irony of Omenihu ran past OBJ and put Burrows on his back late in the fourth quarter this season?  Meanwhile, Taylor keeps Mahomes clean the whole game.