Orlando Brown to Bengals 4/64 million

On 3/17/2023 at 5:19 PM, kkuenn said:

Burrows is going to get killed if he sits in the pocket. Mahomes scrambling and rolling right saved OBJ a lot.

One thing about Burrow is he will hold the ball a little long waiting for routes to develop. 
doing this with OBJ could be a bad thing

There is a YouTube video with the heading, " Why OBJ left the Kansas City Chiefs And Signed With The Bengals." They try to make it something it isn't. The facts are OBJ after the 2021 season wanted market setting money. To be paid as a top tier tackle ( which he clearly was not). Chiefs made a solid offer on a long term deal which OBJ's camp rejects. Franchise tagged and let's see what happens. But truthfully I think the well was poisoned the moment the contract was declined.

After 2022, Brown couldn't go crawling back to the Chiefs. And frankly the Chiefs were ready to move on. Brown went to the Bengals because they offered him the most. That includes money and opportunity. But he lost by betting on himself. Make no mistake. 

For me it wasn’t the slow feet, which doesn’t improve with age, it was the arrogance of telling the team where you will and won’t play. We need a small, quick pass ruusher to school that chump when we play the Bengals. Put Snead over there to make him look silly. 

5 hours ago, DieHard said:

For me it wasn’t the slow feet, which doesn’t improve with age, it was the arrogance of telling the team where you will and won’t play. We need a small, quick pass ruusher to school that chump when we play the Bengals. Put Snead over there to make him look silly. 

That’s the best post I’ve seen in a while. 
he Is a chump. 

45 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Hey, I was referring to Joe and all his family.  Besides, it was a long and tiring drive back to cold country this week.  Not the only mistake this old geezer will make today.  

Good news is, shouldn't be cold for long. Beats the hell out of that 110 degree sauna they call Phoenix during the summer.

On 3/27/2023 at 1:47 PM, dhitter said:

There is a YouTube video with the heading, " Why OBJ left the Kansas City Chiefs And Signed With The Bengals." They try to make it something it isn't. The facts are OBJ after the 2021 season wanted market setting money. To be paid as a top tier tackle ( which he clearly was not). Chiefs made a solid offer on a long term deal which OBJ's camp rejects. Franchise tagged and let's see what happens. But truthfully I think the well was poisoned the moment the contract was declined.

After 2022, Brown couldn't go crawling back to the Chiefs. And frankly the Chiefs were ready to move on. Brown went to the Bengals because they offered him the most. That includes money and opportunity. But he lost by betting on himself. Make no mistake. 

The fact he didn't hire an agent until the middle of summer and when he did hired a guy because of sentimental reasons (which is his right) the agent has no experience with NFL players iirc.  For a team that is constantly planning years in advance and needs the bigger pieces to fall into place to organize other areas it had to make the front office frustrated.   I've gone back and forth this year on bringing him back or letting him go.  He is a known commodity and that has value but we have seen his ceiling and he is what he is.  You aren't getting a better player down the road.   For that reason I think he found a desperate team much like we were a few years ago to protect their qb and he got a fair contract.

This is probably an unpopular opinion but we overpaid for Taylor, but we were in a precarious position and had to.  In this market I don't think Taylor was gonna get 20 million from anyone else.   The one nice thing is if he stinks on the left side we can move him and have a very good RT albeit expensive one but we have a good player on the roster.   

Veach has done an amazing job of putting this roster together and he has learned from his mistakes, but his recent hits in the draft are almost all lower positional value positions with the exception of the DBs which feels like we have the staff to develop them and the scouts that know exactly what they are looking for.  George was a premium position and looks to at least be solid but he was also a first round pick so the expectations are higher.  WR is another premium positions and while I think Moore will be a stud we still don't 100% know.  This isn't a bash Veach thread at all, he is one of the best in the NFL.  It is however easier to hit on lower positional value positions especially if you draft them high.  We have three potential top positional value spots to fill (DE, OT, WR) on this team and I'm curious if Veach can hit another home run this draft and set us up for the next decade in the process.  I think he can but it won't be as easy as previous drafts imo.

58 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion but we overpaid for Taylor, but we were in a precarious position and had to.  In this market I don't think Taylor was gonna get 20 million from anyone else.   The one nice thing is if he stinks on the left side we can move him and have a very good RT albeit expensive one but we have a good player on the roster.   

I totally agree with this. Taylor is a good young and likely ascending player. But unless he becomes all pro it's too much money. I'm not even sure why Veach and Reid see him as a starting LT since he really has never played it with higher level competition. Hoping they can snag a starting LT in the draft. Hoping for the kid from Tennessee. We'll see.

2 hours ago, dhitter said:

I totally agree with this. Taylor is a good young and likely ascending player. But unless he becomes all pro it's too much money. I'm not even sure why Veach and Reid see him as a starting LT since he really has never played it with higher level competition. Hoping they can snag a starting LT in the draft. Hoping for the kid from Tennessee. We'll see.

Also agree that Taylor was overpaid for what he has done so far.  But I'll give the Chiefs credit if he really can be a solid and ascending LT or an all-pro RT after they find a permanent LT.  The cap is going up and what is overpaid this year may be a bargain two years down the road, like Mahomes contract.  Wright, from Tenn. is one of my choices for a first round pick, but it's possible that his best position is RT and he'll need footwork improvement to play LT.  At this point, it seem the Chiefs are doing due diligence on him and we have to trust their plan.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Also agree that Taylor was overpaid for what he has done so far.  But I'll give the Chiefs credit if he really can be a solid and ascending LT or an all-pro RT after they find a permanent LT.  The cap is going up and what is overpaid this year may be a bargain two years down the road, like Mahomes contract.  Wright, from Tenn. is one of my choices for a first round pick, but it's possible that his best position is RT and he'll need footwork improvement to play LT.  At this point, it seem the Chiefs are doing due diligence on him and we have to trust their plan.

I agree jet.  I trust them and am happy we signed him.  I was just making the comment in regards to this FA period.  The market sort of reset itself on quite a few positions.  I seriously doubt he gets even close to that in the open market.   I honestly wouldn't be upset if we traded up for Broderick Jones.  Keeping Mahomes upright is the most important.  

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

I agree jet.  I trust them and am happy we signed him.  I was just making the comment in regards to this FA period.  The market sort of reset itself on quite a few positions.  I seriously doubt he gets even close to that in the open market.   I honestly wouldn't be upset if we traded up for Broderick Jones.  Keeping Mahomes upright is the most important.  

You seem to be in the majority that wants to trade up for Broderick Jones.  Based on the projections of where Jones is likely to be drafted, I just can't agree with that.  When one checks the trade value charts, it becomes obvious that it would cost the Chiefs several top 100 picks to move up to, say, #15 or so.  So unless Jones drops unexpectedly, I'd forget about him and concentrate on Wright, Harrison, or some other near first round OT pick and fill the other needs at DT, EDGE, and WR in rounds 2-4.  Priority #1 is keeping Mahomes upright, but the Chiefs know that there's more than one player that can do so. 

7 minutes ago, jetlord said:

You seem to be in the majority that wants to trade up for Broderick Jones.  Based on the projections of where Jones is likely to be drafted, I just can't agree with that.  When one checks the trade value charts, it becomes obvious that it would cost the Chiefs several top 100 picks to move up to, say, #15 or so.  So unless Jones drops unexpectedly, I'd forget about him and concentrate on Wright, Harrison, or some other near first round OT pick and fill the other needs at DT, EDGE, and WR in rounds 2-4.  Priority #1 is keeping Mahomes upright, but the Chiefs know that there's more than one player that can do so. 

While it remains to be seen how teams view him, I hate to inform you that Wright has been rocketing up mock drafts, into the teens in some cases.  He was kind of undervalued before.  Hendon Hooker getting the same treatment.

I understand that jet and you are correct xen about Wright.  I was just implying that if he fell to 20 or close they could move up to grab him.   I do not think they should trade the farm to get him though.  

I saw somewhere that Hendon Hooker might get drafted to half of the first round......Dude is as old as Mahomes or close lol.  That is however good for us and pushes another quality player to the back end. 

At 31 we can find a very good player that will help us and it would be easier to move back up in the 2nd round to grab another falling OT/DE/WR.    

Gonna be fun for sure.

56 minutes ago, xen said:

While it remains to be seen how teams view him, I hate to inform you that Wright has been rocketing up mock drafts, into the teens in some cases.  He was kind of undervalued before.  Hendon Hooker getting the same treatment.

Unfortunately, you are correct about Wright. A month ago he was a mid to early 2nd rounder who could sneak into the back end of the first round. Now most mocks have him solidly in the first. The secret is out.☹️

Some of this is bolstered by the fact the LT class is not very deep this year.

On 3/29/2023 at 4:57 PM, jetlord said:

15 or so isn't going to do it.  I think all of the top 3 OTs will be gone by then.

3 hours ago, SEMO said:

15 or so isn't going to do it.  I think all of the top 3 OTs will be gone by then.

Agree.  There are about six OTs that are projected to go top 40 or less.  Current projections have the top three plus Wright and Harrison going before #31.  If the Chiefs really want Wright, they may have to move up, but not so far as to spend the whole draft on him.  Otherwise, Dawand Jones would make a monster right side along with Smith but that's banking on Taylor being an effective LT.  

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Agree.  There are about six OTs that are projected to go top 40 or less.  Current projections have the top three plus Wright and Harrison going before #31.  If the Chiefs really want Wright, they may have to move up, but not so far as to spend the whole draft on him.  Otherwise, Danard Jones would make a monster right side along with Smith but that's banking on Taylor being an effective LT.  

Honestly if they take 5 qbs and 4 OTs before us, we should really think about moving up a few spots only for the right guy. At 31 there will be some damn good talent there. 9 players in OT/QB. Probably 4 DE, 2 DT or maybe 3, 3 CB, 3 WR, TE, 1 RB, 3 LB, a S etc. We could have our choice of some really good talent at DT, CB, WR, RT, TE etc

3 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Honestly if they take 5 qbs and 4 OTs before us, we should really think about moving up a few spots only for the right guy. At 31 there will be some damn good talent there. 9 players in OT/QB. Probably 4 DE, 2 DT or maybe 3, 3 CB, 3 WR, TE, 1 RB, 3 LB, a S etc. We could have our choice of some really good talent at DT, CB, WR, RT, TE etc

The Chiefs would have to give up their third round pick just to move up one spot ahead of Buff.  That's a real possibility if OT is top priority.  The problem is that WRs and DEs are available after the first round.  OT seems to be a "first round or bust" deal.  At least they seem to be gone before #63 in the mocks.