Orlando Brown to Bengals 4/64 million

4 hours ago, SEMO said:

15 or so isn't going to do it.  I think all of the top 3 OTs will be gone by then.

Not so sure about that. This is a good draft for OTs and a lot of teams with earlier picks have different needs.

The mocks I've seen (maybe like a dozen) only have Johnson and (Harrison/Brod Jones, depending on the mock) gone by rd 17.

If we could bump 10 - 15 slots we have a shot at Harrison (or Jones), or Skoronski, or Wright.

I like those odds, and all of them have the potential to start at LT. 

I've seen several mocks saying we stay put and roll the dice on Dawand Jones at 31... but I seriously doubt this as they would have brought him in for a 30 visit.

5 hours ago, mex said:

Not so sure about that. This is a good draft for OTs and a lot of teams with earlier picks have different needs.

The mocks I've seen (maybe like a dozen) only have Johnson and (Harrison/Brod Jones, depending on the mock) gone by rd 17.

If we could bump 10 - 15 slots we have a shot at Harrison (or Jones), or Skoronski, or Wright.

I like those odds, and all of them have the potential to start at LT. 

I've seen several mocks saying we stay put and roll the dice on Dawand Jones at 31... but I seriously doubt this as they would have brought him in for a 30 visit.

How do the Chiefs move up 10-15 slots.  Specifically, what draft picks would they have to give up to move into the top twenty, never mind to #17?  #31 and #63 won't do it.  So do you give up future picks?  So easy to say, "Just move up and get your man."  So hard to do.  

9 minutes ago, jetlord said:

How do the Chiefs move up 10-15 slots.  Specifically, what draft picks would they have to give up to move into the top twenty, never mind to #17?  #31 and #63 won't do it.  So do you give up future picks?  So easy to say, "Just move up and get your man."  So hard to do.  

31 to 20th would be 1st and 2nd round pick. 20th pick is worth 850 points 31st is 600 and 63rd is 276. So 876 would get 20th or possibly 19th pick worth 875.

37 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

31 to 20th would be 1st and 2nd round pick. 20th pick is worth 850 points 31st is 600 and 63rd is 276. So 876 would get 20th or possibly 19th pick worth 875.

Right, but Mex was referring to #17 and I don't think the Chiefs first and second would get them there.  Wright and Harrison should last into the twenties although I've seen Wright all over the board.  The Bills and especially the Bengals could grab those two in the first round so if the Chiefs want either, they better be prepared to move up to the mid/late twenties.  Of course, the mocks of today may not be close to what teams actually do next month. 

7 hours ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs would have to give up their third round pick just to move up one spot ahead of Buff.  That's a real possibility if OT is top priority.  The problem is that WRs and DEs are available after the first round.  OT seems to be a "first round or bust" deal.  At least they seem to be gone before #63 in the mocks.  

We need to get in front of both Buffalo and Cincy.   The Bengals have to know that their biggest downfall last year was not being able to protect Burrow.  Have to think they have sufficient weapons but need quality OL help.  I think our first and 3rd easily move us up 2-3 spots.  

10 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Right, but Mex was referring to #17 and I don't think the Chiefs first and second would get them there.  Wright and Harrison should last into the twenties although I've seen Wright all over the board.  The Bills and especially the Bengals could grab those two in the first round so if the Chiefs want either, they better be prepared to move up to the mid/late twenties.  Of course, the mocks of today may not be close to what teams actually do next month. 

It cost a 3 and 4 last year just to move up from 29 to 21.  To go from 31 to 17 would require at least 63, 122, and 166, per the standard chart.  The Rich Hill chart would require just 63 and 122.  Who knows which one they use, if they use any of them at all. Plus, it is the Chiefs and teams will make the kings overpay.

If that many OT's get drafted in the first round then a guy like Duncan, Mauch, Freeland or Jones is gonna fall to mid or end of 2nd.  There is going to be a good player there at 31.  I would rather us be super aggressive and trade a lot for a player that we believe will be our LT of the future or a future stud at DE than trade up a few spots to reach for a player that we are worried won't last.   If we think Jones is the LT of the future then make the move and get him locked up.  The financial security as well as the protection are worth a couple added picks.  

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Sorry Jet, you're going to have to subscribe to my Mock Draft website to find out.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

What is important to us fans might not be as important to Veach/Reid. 

If they truly value (whomever it is) in the 1st round, they'll come up with the capital. Even if it takes a few from this year and one from next year.  What matters is how badly they want someone. I mean, if OTs start sliding for whatever reason, they may not need to trade up. 

This is going to be the most exciting draft I can remember, not just because it's in KC but because we have some capital in our pocket, and we have only 2 major needs... OT and DE.

And we have a front office that doesn't have their head up their ass.

10 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Speaking of DT....here are some in this article for that may fit the Chiefs.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2023/03/31/2023-nfl-draft-kc-chiefs-defensive-tackles-who-would-fit/

My priorities would be OT, EDGE, WR, and then DT with a fourth Safety thrown in.  So getting a Saunders replacement in the third round sounds about right if the other positions can't be covered without reaching.  Not sure if the Chiefs will go for a pass rushing type or a space eater.  

EDIT:  Never mind about safety being an area of priority.  Deon Bush is coming back. 

Seems like Nazeeh Johnson gets overlooked when we talk about our S room.  Has all the tools.  Is he the next in the now becoming a long line of young players we have developed into good players or is he just good ST player? 

Veach is doing his best to have all major holes filled before the draft.  

I know we don't love it but if its true they view Taylor/Niang as the bookends.

Omenihu/Danna as the starting DE opposite Karlaftis.   

We signed some DT's to fill the gap there.

Some of these might just be camp bodies but the rooms are at least somewhat full.

Gonna be a fun draft.  Now watch us draft an OG/LB in the first two rounds in prep for Thuney and Bolton's FA next year lol.

13 hours ago, jetlord said:

and WR and DT and the fourth S.  Still, a shorter list than last year.  

yeah we need those, but not as pressing as OT and DE. 

I think we can pick up an affordable WR in FA, and a few in the late rounds.

24 minutes ago, mex said:

yeah we need those, but not as pressing as OT and DE. 

I think we can pick up an affordable WR in FA, and a few in the late rounds.

Wide receivers

• Richie James, Giants
  • Julio Jones, Buccaneers
  • Marvin Jones Jr., Jaguars
  • Demarcus Robinson, Ravens
  • DeAndre Carter, Chargers
  • Jarvis Landry, Saints
  • Odell Beckham Jr., street
  • Byron Pringle, Bears
  • Chris Moore, Texans
  • Randall Cobb, Packers

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Wide receivers

• Richie James, Giants
  • Julio Jones, Buccaneers
  • Marvin Jones Jr., Jaguars
  • Demarcus Robinson, Ravens
  • DeAndre Carter, Chargers
  • Jarvis Landry, Saints
  • Odell Beckham Jr., street
  • Byron Pringle, Bears
  • Chris Moore, Texans
  • Randall Cobb, Packers

Not much to choose from there.  Maybe a fill in for a year.  OBJ is talked about but he wants big $$$ and isn't guaranteed elite.  Trust Veach to find one or two in the draft and have patience to let them meld into Reid's system.  There's a few late second day prospects that might fit the Chiefs' needs.  

3 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Seems like Nazeeh Johnson gets overlooked when we talk about our S room.  Has all the tools.  Is he the next in the now becoming a long line of young players we have developed into good players or is he just good ST player? 

Veach is doing his best to have all major holes filled before the draft.  

I know we don't love it but if its true they view Taylor/Niang as the bookends.

Omenihu/Danna as the starting DE opposite Karlaftis.   

We signed some DT's to fill the gap there.

Some of these might just be camp bodies but the rooms are at least somewhat full.

Gonna be a fun draft.  Now watch us draft an OG/LB in the first two rounds in prep for Thuney and Bolton's FA next year lol.

Nazeeh has been converted to CB and will be a special teams guy for now.  Pretty good interview about that on the How About Those Chiefs podcast two days ago.  Hope he sticks with the team.

Veach filled all the holes before the draft so his hands aren't tied having to go after just one position on draft day.  Veach doesn't want to reach.  Don't let the lower tier acquisitions fool you.  He'll still be looking for starters at the OT, DE, WR, and DT positions early in the draft. 

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

Nazeeh has been converted to CB and will be a special teams guy for now.  Pretty good interview about that on the How About Those Chiefs podcast two days ago.  Hope he sticks with the team.

Veach filled all the holes before the draft so his hands aren't tied having to go after just one position on draft day.  Veach doesn't want to reach.  Don't let the lower tier acquisitions fool you.  He'll still be looking for starters at the OT, DE, WR, and DT positions early in the draft. 

I trust their decision making with the back 7.  Wish we drafted and developed a little better on the Dline.

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I trust their decision making with the back 7.  Wish we drafted and developed a little better on the Dline.

No one bats 1.000.  Speaks and Kaindoh were failures but I trust Cullen to coach the newer guys up.  He did a great job with Saunders and Dana.  

13 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

When you are a perennial conference champ, it's very difficult to hit on DL draft picks.  There never seems to be an abundance of them, and even the higher-ranked are sketchy... for every Jones, there is a Speaks, Poe, Jackson, Magee, etc

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

No one bats 1.000.  Speaks and Kaindoh were failures but I trust Cullen to coach the newer guys up.  He did a great job with Saunders and Dana.  

Yep.

Failures are common, especially in the last few decades with the Chiefs. Wasn't that long ago we picked Jonathan Baldwin in rd 1... our WROTF :lol: 

3 hours ago, mex said:

Yep.

Failures are common, especially in the last few decades with the Chiefs. Wasn't that long ago we picked Jonathan Baldwin in rd 1... our WROTF :lol: 

Tyson Jackson, Ryan Sims, Joswiak.  We could make a list of failures over the past twenty years that would make any Chiefs' fan start crying.  Brad Budde, Percy Snow, ............boo hoo, boo hoo. 

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Tyson Jackson, Ryan Sims, Joswiak.  We could make a list of failures over the past twenty years that would make any Chiefs' fan start crying.  Brad Budde, Percy Snow, ............boo hoo, boo hoo. 

How many teams have taken a DE with their FIRST TWO PICKS? Probably not many. Leave it to the old-guard Chiefs to pick a DE guy in both the first and second round, and whiff on both.  (2009 - Jackson #3, Magee#67)

28 minutes ago, mex said:

How many teams have taken a DE with their FIRST TWO PICKS? Probably not many. Leave it to the old-guard Chiefs to pick a DE guy in both the first and second round, and whiff on both.  (2009 - Jackson #3, Magee#67)

The Edwards, Haley, Crennel years were abysmal.

You play to win the game.

3 hours ago, arrowhead said:

The Edwards, Haley, Crennel years were abysmal.

You play to win the game.

Didn't Crennel, in his one year, draft Dontari Poe?  Don't know if it was him or Pioli that had authority.  I went to the Chiefs' STH party for that year and no one was very excited about the pick IIRC. Good thing the beer was free.   At least he played well as a starter for some years.