13 minutes ago, mex said:

Ok it might not have been the best example. I was trying to use an 'average type receiver' which I think at the time, Sammy was.

So let's go with the obvious.  We lost the best receiver in the NFL last year, and did BETTER this year with more yardage, more receptions, longer avg yds per catch, leading to us WINNING the SB. 

Methinks we'll get over losing JuJu.

On another note... has there ever been a point you've conceded? Ever?

I mean JEEZUS MAN. For the love of God... learn to take an L every now and then.

I want to concede a point. But other people have to have a correct point  first. Juju is not easy to replace in a year in which we lose both tackles, an edge rusher, backup quarterback and Hardman. 

25 minutes ago, mex said:

Ok it might not have been the best example. I was trying to use an 'average type receiver' which I think at the time, Sammy was.

So let's go with the obvious.  We lost the best receiver in the NFL last year, and did BETTER this year with more yardage, more receptions, longer avg yds per catch, leading to us WINNING the SB. 

Methinks we'll get over losing JuJu.

On another note... has there ever been a point you've conceded? Ever?

I mean JEEZUS MAN. For the love of God... learn to take an L every now and then.

I think he said no

35 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I want to concede a point. But other people have to have a correct point  first. Juju is not easy to replace in a year in which we lose both tackles, an edge rusher, backup quarterback and Hardman. 

You mean the tackles that like were in the top 10 of pressures, each of them, a DE that showed up sometimes, A BACKUP QB??, and a wr that was really just a gadget player?   And then there was JuJu,  I liked him, but I really think it was his social media crap that turned Veach off on signing him. How ever will we survive with a new tackle, I mean other teams replace players all the time.  Maybe Niang is ready, you aren't at practices but andy maybe didn't want to shake up cohesiveness of a line in the middle of a season.

But yet, you know more than the coaching staf and front office that has brought us 3 superbowls in 4 years, and 2 SB wins, no offense, I think I'll trust them!

8 hours ago, reesebobby said:

I'm not a grasshopper.  I'm possibly the most patient, team friendly person on the board. I never complain about the coaches or management.   And I'm not complaining now.  I understand the moves we are making and I understand why we are letting some guys go.  The very first post in this shit show says we are losing guys that are not super stars, but solid pros.  JuJu fits that perfectly.  He's not easy to replace.  When we list Chiefs that had better seasons, we listed Otis Tayor, Stephone Paige, Carlos Carson and Frank Jackson for gods sake.  

You are misinterpreting what he meant by "grasshopper."  He was referring to the affectionate nickname given by the master to the apprentice in the old martial arts TV series, "Kung Fu."  Basically, it means "show patience, young apprentice,  and you will become a master." It isn't a statement of being a complainer or an insult or admonition at all.

Anyway, I think JuJu was special in a kind of Frank Clark sense in that he stepped up at critical moments.  When games were on the line, he didn't drop balls, had sticky hands, and held that ball in a vice grip that could not be stripped or lead to a fumble.  He was the guy needed in the big time clutch moments who could get the ball in tight windows.  I think he is more of a loss than what appears on statistics. He was not gaudy, merely a clutch guy who could be relied on. He always looks the ball all the way into his hands even in a crowd and a tense or distracting situation.  And he was quietly tough and didn't make mistakes. I think that if you asked Mahomes, that is what he would say about Smith-Schuster.

We lost a lot of starters, who are generally average players, however, if we can replace them in free agency and draft with average players, we will be fine. I am not worried about the defense. They still need to find a true #1 WR I think. JuJu was no better than a #2, so we at least need to find a new #2. Toney was the Hardman replacement with a lot more upside. MVS, Moore, The Rosses, etc. don’t look like #1s or #2s at this point.

RT seems like a draft pick at this point. I imagine another RB is also drafted, maybe even a FB.

We are going to be a YOUNG team.

8 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

You are misinterpreting what he meant by "grasshopper."  He was referring to the affectionate nickname given by the master to the apprentice in the old martial arts TV series, "Kung Fu."  Basically, it means "show patience, young apprentice,  and you will become a master." It isn't a statement of being a complainer or an insult or admonition at all.

Anyway, I think JuJu was special in a kind of Frank Clark sense in that he stepped up at critical moments.  When games were on the line, he didn't drop balls, had sticky hands, and held that ball in a vice grip that could not be stripped or lead to a fumble.  He was the guy needed in the big time clutch moments who could get the ball in tight windows.  I think he is more of a loss than what appears on statistics. He was not gaudy, merely a clutch guy who could be relied on. He always looks the ball all the way into his hands even in a crowd and a tense or distracting situation.  And he was quietly tough and didn't make mistakes. I think that if you asked Mahomes, that is what he would say about Smith-Schuster.

That's an unfair characterization of Reese!  I would never refer to him as a grasshopper.

A locust, maybe.... or maybe a fruit fly... but never a grasshopper! 🤣🤣

I kind of agree with both sides here.  We do not currently have a receiver capable of doing what juju did for us in running those kelce routes and taking some pressure off him.  

That said, there's more than 1 way to skin a cat besides finding another big receiver that can play X or in the slot, including picking up one of a gajillion really good tight ends in this draft, keeping 4 TEs, and destroying with 12 personnel more.  

38 minutes ago, xen said:

I kind of agree with both sides here.  We do not currently have a receiver capable of doing what juju did for us in running those kelce routes and taking some pressure off him.  

That said, there's more than 1 way to skin a cat besides finding another big receiver that can play X or in the slot, including picking up one of a gajillion really good tight ends in this draft, keeping 4 TEs, and destroying with 12 personnel more.  

th?id=OIP.iqMjPm60OyLyUO1U17VyKgHaH1&pid=Api&P=0

59 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

I’m hoping that this year doesn’t turn out to be the “rebuilding” year last season supposedly was.  Unless we win another super bowl. 

I hope not, too, but it happened about three times during the Patriot-Brady dynasty.  We were lucky, flat out lucky to have gotten to the superbowl, let alone WON it last year.  It was an aberration.  Half of our games it seemed like were three point victories after coming from behind.  In many of them, we were getting whipped up on for most of the games.  It could have gone either way in any of them.  If it hadn't snowed and messed up the field in Buffalo, Cincinatti would have won, and we would not have been 1st seed.  Let's be realistic.  Every team has to re-build every year. 

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I hope not, too, but it happened about three times during the Patriot-Brady dynasty.  We were lucky, flat out lucky to have gotten to the superbowl, let alone WON it last year.  It was an aberration.  Half of our games it seemed like were three point victories after coming from behind.  In many of them, we were getting whipped up on for most of the games.  It could have gone either way in any of them.  If it hadn't snowed and messed up the field in Buffalo, Cincinatti would have won, and we would not have been 1st seed.  Let's be realistic.  Every team has to re-build every year. 

That's a really good point.  Even the best teams have to be lucky to win it all.  The breaks went the Chiefs way this year.  No reason to think it will always be that way.  The one big Chiefs advantage is Mahomes will to win and creativity in doing it.  There's never been a team that I had more confidence in when they were in the fourth quarter and within reach of a win or tie. 

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

That's a really good point.  Even the best teams have to be lucky to win it all.  The breaks went the Chiefs way this year.  No reason to think it will always be that way.  The one big Chiefs advantage is Mahomes will to win and creativity in doing it.  There's never been a team that I had more confidence in when they were in the fourth quarter and within reach of a win or tie. 

I trust the process because you said this team has figured out ways to win.  

I do think Veach might be getting a little too much credit though.  His draft picks and moves have some sort of luck too.  He can’t keep hitting on them like he has can he?  Eventually, this strategy will bite the chiefs I’m sure.  

Just now, Mr Ev said:

I do think Veach might be getting a little too much credit though.  His draft picks and moves have some sort of luck too.  He can’t keep hitting on them like he has can he?  Eventually, this strategy will bite the chiefs I’m sure.  

Veach thinks long term and I agree with that philosophy.   He inherited a top notch scouting group and apparently coordinates well with Reid and the other coaches.  He might have been a little lucky in the late rounds last year with Watson and Pacheko, but I think the whole system is just well put together.  

Just now, Mr Ev said:

Veach credit is deserved. As for WHO they draft... it ain't just Veach evaluating talent... it's Andy and Spags too... looking for guys to fit their system.

Where Veach is awesome is how he maintains cap space by utilizing rookie contracts, re-working veteran contracts, evaluating FAs and letting go existing FAs who put too high a burden on the cap budget.

"The man is a surgeon."

Last Action Hero

10 minutes ago, mex said:

Veach credit is deserved. As for WHO they draft... it ain't just Veach evaluating talent... it's Andy and Spags too... looking for guys to fit their system.

Where Veach is awesome is how he maintains cap space by utilizing rookie contracts, re-working veteran contracts, evaluating FAs and letting go existing FAs who put too high a burden on the cap budget.

"The man is a surgeon."

Last Action Hero

You’re right.  In Veach we trust.