Mid FA Mock Offseason

Lamardirts

After the Taylor and Omenihu signings the major holes on this roster are still WR, RT/LT, DE, DT, S, WR, RB, LB, and NT.

Pat Mahomes restructured and CJ should get extended at some point.  My guess is they have the frame work in place and will finalize it when they get the final big piece in FA signed in case they need to tweak some money to make it work.   I also look for them to add a WR and DT in FA before the draft then add a Vet DE and S after the draft via FA.

FA.

WR -Adam Theilen - 1 yr 5 million with incentives that could reach 10.

DT - Greg Gaines - 2/15 million

Draft

1.  Felix Anudike-Uzomah - DE - KSU

2.  Cedric Tillman - WR - Tenn

3.  Trade up in the third with a 4th and 6th - Blake Breeland - OT BYU

4.  Zack Kuntz - TE - OD

4. Traded Away

5. Ben Vansumeren - LB - MSU

6. Traded away

6. DJ Dale - DT - Alabama

6-7. Depth

QB - Mahomes, Buechele

RB - Pacheco, CEH, FA

TE - Kelce, Gray, Fortson - Kuntz

WR - Toney, Thielen, Moore, MVS, Cedric Tillman, Justyn Ross

LT- Jawaan Taylor - Niang - Breeland

LG - Thuney / FA Backfill

C - Creed - FA Backfill

RG - T. Smith FA Backfill

RT - Niang, Breeland, Prince TW

DL - Jones, Greg Gaines, DJ Dale , Wharton

DE - Karlaftis, Danna, Felix AU, Omenihu,

LB - Bolton, Gay, Chenal, VanSumeren

S - Cook, Reid, FA, FA

CB - Sneed, McDuffie, Watson, Williams, FA/Rookie

The FA LB from the Chargers (Tranquill) probably takes drafting a LB out of the picture.  The Chiefs also need to get a third QB, probably a vet.  Could get McKinnon to fill the RB room.  Allegretti fills the interior O-line along with Kinnard.  I think the Chiefs need another safety more than a fourth TE unless there's someone they really like.  

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

The FA LB from the Chargers (Tranquill) probably takes drafting a LB out of the picture.  The Chiefs also need to get a third QB, probably a vet.  Could get McKinnon to fill the RB room.  Allegretti fills the interior O-line along with Kinnard.  I think the Chiefs need another safety more than a fourth TE unless there's someone they really like.  

Need a TE if one is there and a possible replacement for Kelce in 2 years. What we have now won't replace him.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Need a TE if one is there and a possible replacement for Kelce in 2 years. What we have now won't replace him.

Kelce won't be replaced and the Chiefs offense will look different without him.  Can they find a TE who is above average and produces yards and first downs?  Yep!  But the rapport between Kelce and Mahomes is special.  Good thing that Kelce is going after TG's records so will want to play as long as he can.  Reid has to figure out how to pace him to increase longevity.  

We have enough picks to draft a whole defense or offense. I bet we trade off a few to move up and get a WR. If we get a good one, that’s how we spell kelce and lengthen his career. Then they go OT, DE and TE. 

We already know the Chiefs consider Niang starting caliber because they had him starting before his last big injury. So if they had to play tomorrow, we'd have our starting tackles and according to Nate Taylor they feel good about Niang at RT. They want to give him every chance to claim that role.  Nate's plugged in. 

We have our starters at LB and it's a supremely talented trio. 

We have our starters at safety and it's a talented duo. 

We have our starting RB and he is just scratching the surface.

They signed some quality depth at LB and safety yesterday and still need some more in other areas you mentioned. 

I agree with Kyle about taking Kelces heir apparent if the board falls the right way. Me personally, I want to see them sign a vet QB to replace Henne. 

But as far as any of these being "major holes", they aren't. We just won a SB 5 weeks ago and you make it sound like our roster looks like Houston's. 

The only major holes on this team are on the defensive line and at WR, and I'd bet money in them being addressed before TC starts. 

6 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

We already know the Chiefs consider Niang starting caliber because they had him starting before his last big injury. So if they had to play tomorrow, we'd have our starting tackles and according to Nate Taylor they feel good about Niang at RT. They want to give him every chance to claim that role.  Nate's plugged in. 

They signed some quality depth at LB and safety yesterday and still need some more in other areas you mentioned. 

I agree with Kyle about taking Kelces heir apparent if the board falls the right way. Me personally, I want to see them sign a vet QB to replace Henne. 

But as far as any of these being "major holes", they aren't. We just won a SB 5 weeks ago and you make it sound like our roster looks like Houston's. 

The only major holes on this team are on the defensive line and at WR, and I'd bet money in them being addressed before TC starts. 

Well getting a TE now gives us a chance to get the Mahomes rapport with him. Also if the TE fails, we still have a couple years to sign one or draft another before Kelce is done.

On 3/18/2023 at 7:06 AM, Iluvhouse24 said:

Major holes doesn't mean our roster is trash.  Where did I saw that or imply that?  I didn't.  Not having a player on contract to fill most of those holes or having a player that is very injury prone or has no experience means its a major hole.  Its a mock offseason...... You know so we can mock fill the roster out.    We also have cap room, draft picks and FA to fill most and since I posted this we have filled LB, S, and Backup OL.  Nobody is making this roster out to be like Houstons.  I was merely pointing out those are the positions we have to fill before season starts.  It's funny by your assessment 5 of the 9 i mentioned you also said are major holes.  DL and WR.  2 of the others got filled this weekend leaving RT/LT and RB besides DL and WR in my assessment.  

On 3/18/2023 at 1:22 PM, kkuenn said:

Well getting a TE now gives us a chance to get the Mahomes rapport with him. Also if the TE fails, we still have a couple years to sign one or draft another before Kelce is done.

This draft is loaded.  Hard for me to believe we wouldn't start looking for that guy.  Also, Forston is on a one year contract.  I look for us to keep 4 on the roster this year with as successful as were last year in 12 and 13 personal.  

Any team that doesn't fill holes, even if they're just small depressions, is going to decline.  Nothing spells doom like standing pat after a good run.  We all tend to like our team's players just a little too much.  That being said, it wouldn't bother me a bit if Dunlap or Clark returned on cheap contracts.  The fact that they didn't get signed by now is telling and the Chiefs aren't the only team waiting for the draft to conclude before grabbing third tier FAs.  The obvious "hole" is at WR and the Chiefs are in the running for OBJ, Hopkins, and Chark.  Until all three are signed to other teams, there's a good chance one of them plus a day two draft pick fills that hole. 

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Any team that doesn't fill holes, even if they're just small depressions, is going to decline.  Nothing spells doom like standing pat after a good run.  We all tend to like our team's players just a little too much.  That being said, it wouldn't bother me a bit if Dunlap or Clark returned on cheap contracts.  The fact that they didn't get signed by now is telling and the Chiefs aren't the only team waiting for the draft to conclude before grabbing third tier FAs.  The obvious "hole" is at WR and the Chiefs are in the running for OBJ, Hopkins, and Chark.  Until all three are signed to other teams, there's a good chance one of them plus a day two draft pick fills that hole. 

When did we get in on Chark? I haven't heard anything about it. I wanted him last offseason but after another year in the tub that ship has sailed. Plus, he's not the most ideal fit ever, especially after the MVS signing.

I really like Guyton but wonder where he's at in his ACL recovery. It's been a solid 7 or so months now. I do really like Marquez Callaway too. Both would be very under-the-radar gets. Callaway flashed some big-time ability in 2021. He needs a shot. Come prove it with Mahomie. :D

14 hours ago, kccrow said:

When did we get in on Chark? I haven't heard anything about it. I wanted him last offseason but after another year in the tub that ship has sailed. Plus, he's not the most ideal fit ever, especially after the MVS signing.

I really like Guyton but wonder where he's at in his ACL recovery. It's been a solid 7 or so months now. I do really like Marquez Callaway too. Both would be very under-the-radar gets. Callaway flashed some big-time ability in 2021. He needs a shot. Come prove it with Mahomie. :D

You would think a wr like that would love the opportunity here.  Prove deal to hit fa again next year.