Chiefs Sign Tranquill

Chiefs signed LB Drue Tranquill, formerly of the Chargers, to a one-year contract.

Tranquill was a part-time player for the Chargers for three years but stepped into a larger role for the 2022 season. He started all but one game for LA last year and his numbers exploded. He led the Chargers in tackles while totaling five sacks plus 10 TFLs. He also forced a fumble and picked off one pass. Pro Football Focus graded Tranquill as one of the league's best inside linebackers in pass-rush and coverage situations. He should slot into a starting role for Kansas City in 2023.

3 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Starting role replacing who? We have Bolton, Gay, Chenal?

Wonder if the Chiefs are preparing for life after Gay.  Sure hate to lose him but he's going to be expensive after this season.  I can't see how Tranquill fits in this year.  

40 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Wonder if the Chiefs are preparing for life after Gay.  Sure hate to lose him but he's going to be expensive after this season.  I can't see how Tranquill fits in this year.  

One year deal.  Both FAs after next season.

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

then let the best man win. Gay is a problem child maybe they dont trust him to stay out of trouble?

Gay reminds me of Peters.  Tons of talent but never grew up.  There's no hint that the Chiefs don't want to keep him, but the Tranquill signing is curious.  Bolton, Gay, and Cranell seemed to the the core LBs for the future and the Chiefs are in the nickle a high percentage of the time.

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Gay reminds me of Peters.  Tons of talent but never grew up.  There's no hint that the Chiefs don't want to keep him, but the Tranquill signing is curious.  Bolton, Gay, and Cranell seemed to the the core LBs for the future and the Chiefs are in the nickle a high percentage of the time.

maybe just to  add the kick in the butt  to maturity that Gay needs or else? Going to be a good position battle  for sure

Listed at 6-foot-2 and 235 pounds, Tranquill is the ideal coverage linebacker prototype in the modern NFL. He’s only 28 years old, so he’s not exactly long in the tooth by NFL standards. The contract would suggest that Kansas City has a role for him of the starting variety. He’ll likely be on the field during the team’s sub-package defenses, which are basically the new base defenses in the NFL.

This is a slightly surprising considering that the Chiefs already have three starting-quality linebackers in Nick Bolton, Willie Gay Jr. and Leo Chenal. This ensures that the team has quality depth at a position of strength. As Brett Veach has mentioned in the past, you can never have too much depth in any one position.

It seemed surprising to me they let harris walk as our backup LB, he played well when given the chance. Obviously they chiefs really like this guy. I assume they wanted to bring him into the building and see how he fits, because i dont expect them to keep gay and bolton beyond this year. wouldn't be surprised to see them attempt to trade willie gay during camp to be honest.

11 minutes ago, Joe_Chief said:

This guy has good coverage skills.

And stealing the Chargers' leading tackler in 2022 is icing on the cake!

He'll also add talent to our STs... unless he steals a starting position. Either way it's a plus.

With signing of S and LB today, maybe veech wants not only depth but time to draft and develop this year or sees what the positions are looking like next year. Next year them we csn use 2023 draft to fill DE, DT, WR etc and not have those holes for next year's draft too. Playing the long game.

Final Season Showtime GIF by Shameless

Ok, we needed depth and this guy replaces Harris. Thing is, what if Chenal plays DE at times? Could that be a benefit of him being 260 plus running a 4.53 40 and a stout run defender? Just food for thought. He could then add depth at both positions as needed.