Chiefs Sign Tranquill

We needed another LB who can cover.   We finally have a good one.  Shocked we got him for such a cheap deal.   Don't think this has much to do with 2024 as much as filling a big need with a good player for this year.  We carried 4 LB's last year and we have our 4 this year.   

58 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

We needed another LB who can cover.   We finally have a good one.  Shocked we got him for such a cheap deal.   Don't think this has much to do with 2024 as much as filling a big need with a good player for this year.  We carried 4 LB's last year and we have our 4 this year.   

This move is about winning the SB next year. Veach is looking at the future AND the present.

12 hours ago, mex said:

This move is about winning the SB next year. Veach is looking at the future AND the present.

With Tranquill being a nice upgrade over Harris, does Tranquill push Gay for reps in the Dime/Nickel?  Or is just a nice upgrade as a backup? His stats last year seem to point to a guy ready to push Gay for reps.  Either way its nice having such a talented LB room.

3 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

With Tranquill being a nice upgrade over Harris, does Tranquill push Gay for reps in the Dime/Nickel?  Or is just a nice upgrade as a backup? His stats last year seem to point to a guy ready to push Gay for reps.  Either way its nice having such a talented LB room.

What percentage of the snaps did Gay play last season.  It seems that he was on the bench more than one would expect for his talent level and speed.  

EDIT:  Never mind.  I looked it up.  Gay played about 53% of the defensive snaps.  Bolton was over 97% and Harris about 25%.  That's a little skewed because Gay was out a couple of games but the point is that he was on the bench for a sizeable number of plays.  There's room for Tranquill.  

On 3/18/2023 at 11:46 AM, jetlord said:

What percentage of the snaps did Gay play last season.  It seems that he was on the bench more than one would expect for his talent level and speed.  

EDIT:  Never mind.  I looked it up.  Gay played about 53% of the defensive snaps.  Bolton was over 97% and Harris about 25%.  That's a little skewed because Gay was out a couple of games but the point is that he was on the bench for a sizeable number of plays.  There's room for Tranquill.  

I was lambasted for talking about Campbell and saying all these points. Now I know I did not think we could get him from the draft but I am glad to see this FA signing. It is what I thought Campbell could do for us. Hope he works out and next year we decide between him or Gay.

2 hours ago, Chiefmanzada said:

Dude can cover and blitz. Great signing!! 

Defense baby defense 

He played pretty good against us last season. He's solid... will be a big time contributor.

1 minute ago, Calichief said:

He’s gonna blitz Gay much more: Gay needs to be unleashed more 

He'll blitz both... w/o getting predictable... 

Those stats lining up with Kuechly are not to be dismissed... Kuechly was a stud... likely Hall of Famer. 

On 3/17/2023 at 7:53 PM, DieHard said:

Great signing. It’s a 1 year deal. He isn’t taking anyone’s job. Chenal is great against the run, but a well rounded guy like that can back up both Bolton and Gay.

Eh, not so sure about that. Neither Gay nor Chenal should feel very comfortable about their spot right now. 

9 hours ago, kccrow said:

Eh, not so sure about that. Neither Gay nor Chenal should feel very comfortable about their spot right now. 

Fair point. Gay has one year left I believe. If this guy was signed  for 3 I would think they were moving on. With both being FAs next year, I am not sure how the new is viewed. Chenal is not an every down kind of guy to me. So I don’t consider him a starter. 

10 hours ago, kccrow said:

Bro, there is about a 0% chance that Tranquil will be stealing Sam snaps from Chenal in Spags defense.  He doesn't have the size for what Spags wants.

He is more likely to steal some snaps from Bolton, especially in dime.  Bolton really improved in coverage but he's not on Tranquil's level as a zone defender.

Considering how much Nickel we play I would bet he's in on a lot of those snaps as well.

I do agree Gay will lose some snaps here as well, depending on the situation.

11 hours ago, xen said:

Bro, there is about a 0% chance that Tranquil will be stealing Sam snaps from Chenal in Spags defense.  He doesn't have the size for what Spags wants.

He is more likely to steal some snaps from Bolton, especially in dime.  Bolton really improved in coverage but he's not on Tranquil's level as a zone defender.

Considering how much Nickel we play I would bet he's in on a lot of those snaps as well.

I do agree Gay will lose some snaps here as well, depending on the situation.

Yup. Gay will lose some snaps and Bolton may lose some on obvious passing downs..i.e. Dime packages. 

I watched Gay very closely this year and although the dude is athletic as hell, he misses a shitload of tackles. His coverage skills are ok, but his tackling and IQ seem to be subpar. However, I do know that Gay is still young and missed a lot of time, so I'm hoping this will be Willie's breakout year.

Nonetheless, Tranquill is a damn stud and he will be pushing Gay for playing time no doubt.