Chiefs Sign Tranquill

16 hours ago, xen said:

Bro, there is about a 0% chance that Tranquil will be stealing Sam snaps from Chenal in Spags defense.  He doesn't have the size for what Spags wants.

He is more likely to steal some snaps from Bolton, especially in dime.  Bolton really improved in coverage but he's not on Tranquil's level as a zone defender.

Considering how much Nickel we play I would bet he's in on a lot of those snaps as well.

I do agree Gay will lose some snaps here as well, depending on the situation.

If I had to call it, it would be Gay losing more than just "some snaps." Gay might be the most overrated player on this roster. He's okay-ish, in an Anthony Hitchens sort of okay-ish way. He's been overrated since the day he was drafted because of athleticism. Meanwhile, I called it a bad pick and said they should have drafted the kid Cincinnati took, Logan Wilson. I was undeniably pissed off at that pick. I didn't trust his IQ and I didn't trust a workout warrior. At that time, I wasn't too high on Veach's drafts either. As time goes by, I was more correct than not on Gay and less correct on Veach. Ah well, it's whatever. Maybe they find a nice rotation and they all eat. As long as they find the blend that brings yet another Lombardi, I can't be too pissed anymore.

4 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

I'm reading between the lines but there's something Veach is concerned with on this signing. We were pretty well set with Bolton, Gay, Chenal. Bolton is a beast so I'm thinking Gay is short term or Chenal isn't what he hoped for?

There's a lot of lines to read between... sometimes it's not just about performance. Sometimes it's about fit. But there's something going on.

20 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

I'm reading between the lines but there's something Veach is concerned with on this signing. We were pretty well set with Bolton, Gay, Chenal. Bolton is a beast so I'm thinking Gay is short term or Chenal isn't what he hoped for?

There's no need to read between the lines.  Our defense got picked on in the middle of the field cause our linebackers are decent to good but not great in coverage and can be exploited with the right matchups. Tranquill was one of the better coverage linebackers in the league last year and comes at a good price point for us.  Tranquill is an LB type we do not have on the roster.  

I don't believe he'll hold up well vs the run but that's not what he's here for.

1 hour ago, xen said:

There's no need to read between the lines.  Our defense got picked on in the middle of the field cause our linebackers are decent to good but not great in coverage and can be exploited with the right matchups. Tranquill was one of the better coverage linebackers in the league last year and comes at a good price point for us.  Tranquill is an LB type we do not have on the roster.  

I don't believe he'll hold up well vs the run but that's not what he's here for.

If he fits such a dire need then why not sign him for longer? The way it works now we can lose both Gay and Tranquill  after next year

34 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

If he fits such a dire need then why not sign him for longer? The way it works now we can lose both Gay and Tranquill  after next year

Takes 2 to tango.  If you last that long in FA and you're still young, you're better off doing a 1 year deal and trying again the next year.  

On 3/21/2023 at 12:18 AM, kccrow said:

If I had to call it, it would be Gay losing more than just "some snaps." Gay might be the most overrated player on this roster. He's okay-ish, in an Anthony Hitchens sort of okay-ish way. He's been overrated since the day he was drafted because of athleticism. Meanwhile, I called it a bad pick and said they should have drafted the kid Cincinnati took, Logan Wilson. I was undeniably pissed off at that pick. I didn't trust his IQ and I didn't trust a workout warrior. At that time, I wasn't too high on Veach's drafts either. As time goes by, I was more correct than not on Gay and less correct on Veach. Ah well, it's whatever. Maybe they find a nice rotation and they all eat. As long as they find the blend that brings yet another Lombardi, I can't be too pissed anymore.

Hurt to say you are correct because I think most of us wanted him to become a dominant stud.   I think Darius Harris taking Gay's reps should have told us this.  Has all the tools but can't put it all together.  By this point in your career the chances of all of a sudden turning it around aren't great but contract years have a way of getting the best out of players.  Tranquill was definitely a move to push him and insulate the team in the event he doesn't progress.   I agree that Veach's first couple drafts he drafted top tier athletic project way to early and the major problem there is by the time they figure it out its usually the last year of their rookie deal so you get no real value and then have to make a decision if you are going to pay for that lone year of production.   Those players should be day three picks unless you have a staff that works miracles like our secondary staff and even then we have found a niche for day 3 picks for that group to develop.   

On 3/21/2023 at 5:04 PM, xen said:

Takes 2 to tango.  If you last that long in FA and you're still young, you're better off doing a 1 year deal and trying again the next year.  

Yeah the market sucked this year.  No reason to lock yourself into a bad contract unless you are injury prone or older.   I have a sneaky suspicion that he will be the starter and outsnap Gay by a good bit this year.   Hope I'm wrong but losing important snaps to Harris down the stretch isn't a good sign.