What's left to do?

With the FA period well under way, what moves do the Chiefs need to make to fill their roster for this season?

I'd say they need one more OT, two WRs, one TE, one RB, one DT, and one EDGE.  One RB might come from resigning McKinnon and Dunlap is still out there to play DE.  If the Chiefs can find a FA WR, should the priorities in the draft be OT, WR, DT, TE?  Should the Chiefs draft a DE and forget about Dunlap?  We can probably assume that they will grab a RB and QB later in the draft. 

With the FA period well under way, what moves do the Chiefs need to make to fill their roster for this season?

I'd say they need one more OT, two WRs, one TE, one RB, one DT, and one EDGE.  One RB might come from resigning McKinnon and Dunlap is still out there to play DE.  If the Chiefs can find a FA WR, should the priorities in the draft be OT, WR, DT, TE?  Should the Chiefs draft a DE and forget about Dunlap?  We can probably assume that they will grab a RB and QB later in the draft. 

I'd like to see at least a WR and a DT in FA but 2 of each would be even better, as well as a vet swing tackle.

The guys I most want yet are NT Greg Gaines, DT Armon Watts, OT Josh Wells, WR, Marquez Callaway, and WR Jaylen Guyton.

Yeah, aside from Gaines those seem like trash bin guys but all of them had good production in 2021 then a bit of an off year in 22. Bank on them getting back to that 2021 form with more opportunities again in 2023.

If I could only have 3, give me Gaines, Wells, and Callaway. If only 2, give me Gaines and Callaway. LOL. 

The draft really piggybacks off of what happens in FA.

I'd entertain a major trade for Broderick Jones at LT otherwise don't force OT early. We do still have Niang, lest we forget. We could take a guy like Wanya Morris in the 3rd/4th area as a RT/ST option.

Signing Omenihu means we also don't have to force DE. It'd be nice to see one at some point before the end of day 2. 

It all opens the door to a weapon on offense too. I wouldn't rule out anything.

I took Jahmyr Gibbs over in the mock draft at the other board in the 1st for KC and the place went nuts but I think he's a dynamic weapon that could be as much as Tyreek or Deebo or as little as McKinnon but no matter what that's a weapon that can account for at least 800 yards of offense. I really think he could rush for 4-500 and catch 750 without much projection. He's so fast and slippery. I prefer a full-on convert to WR but you have that option with his size and history to flex him in the backfield like Deebo. McKinnon only had like 70 carries for 300 yards or so last year, that's plenty. You can move him around from catching passes out of the backfield to the slot to the Z. He has a 4.36 40 and runs like Jamaal Charles. Scary proposition IMO if you can add a possession guy like Callaway to your WR corps in FA.

Also, at WR, I like Ronnie Bell from Michigan a lot on day 2. Plenty of others too that are solid options throughout. Tillman, Rice, Scott, Mims, Hutchinson all look like solid day 2 options. I really like the kid from San Diego State late, Jesse Matthews. I feel like media boards are really sleeping on him. They are also really sleeping on Florida A&M's Xavier Smith, hard. I think both of those guys get drafted. Really talented players. If they don't get drafted I'd be flying to the phone to pick them up as UDFAs.

I think there will be some DEs available at the end of 2, 3, and 4 that are worthwhile. Anudike-Uzomah, Tuipulotu, Carter, Horton, McGuire, Young, Diaby, Robinson, Incoom, etc.

There will be options for KC to fill needs with talent all across this draft.

What I don't think is a need, at all is TE. I think they like their group and Bushman has a chance to make the roster this year. I think it's a position, if a value is there, then they'll grab one. I don't think they'll make any sort of effort to go get one like they did for Gray. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see it as probable. I do love this TE class though. 

1 hour ago, kccrow said:

The draft really piggybacks off of what happens in FA.

I'd entertain a major trade for Broderick Jones at LT otherwise don't force OT early. We do still have Niang, lest we forget. We could take a guy like Wanya Morris in the 3rd/4th area as a RT/ST option.

Signing Omenihu means we also don't have to force DE. It'd be nice to see one at some point before the end of day 2. 

It all opens the door to a weapon on offense too. I wouldn't rule out anything.

I took Jahmyr Gibbs over in the mock draft at the other board in the 1st for KC and the place went nuts but I think he's a dynamic weapon that could be as much as Tyreek or Deebo or as little as McKinnon but no matter what that's a weapon that can account for at least 800 yards of offense. I really think he could rush for 4-500 and catch 750 without much projection. He's so fast and slippery. I prefer a full-on convert to WR but you have that option with his size and history to flex him in the backfield like Deebo. McKinnon only had like 70 carries for 300 yards or so last year, that's plenty. You can move him around from catching passes out of the backfield to the slot to the Z. He has a 4.36 40 and runs like Jamaal Charles. Scary proposition IMO if you can add a possession guy like Callaway to your WR corps in FA.

Also, at WR, I like Ronnie Bell from Michigan a lot on day 2. Plenty of others too that are solid options throughout. Tillman, Rice, Scott, Mims, Hutchinson all look like solid day 2 options. I really like the kid from San Diego State late, Jesse Matthews. I feel like media boards are really sleeping on him. They are also really sleeping on Florida A&M's Xavier Smith, hard. I think both of those guys get drafted. Really talented players. If they don't get drafted I'd be flying to the phone to pick them up as UDFAs.

I think there will be some DEs available at the end of 2, 3, and 4 that are worthwhile. Anudike-Uzomah, Tuipulotu, Carter, Horton, McGuire, Young, Diaby, Robinson, Incoom, etc.

There will be options for KC to fill needs with talent all across this draft.

What I don't think is a need, at all is TE. I think they like their group and Bushman has a chance to make the roster this year. I think it's a position, if a value is there, then they'll grab one. I don't think they'll make any sort of effort to go get one like they did for Gray. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see it as probable. I do love this TE class though. 

In your previous post I agree that getting Gaines would be awesome. I think they have to find a wr that can be a legit #2 if needed in FA as well. Can Guyton or Callaway be that if needed?  I do like your approach.  Find guys who have had success and maybe a down year and get them in cheap and let Mahomes raise their ceiling.   I hope they continue to backfill the roster leading up to the draft as to give Veach full BPA ability.   What position group would you be most nervous about in this draft?  I think it's wr for me.  I could us moving up for a DE or OT but overall its a weaker wr class.   If they truly believe Taylor is an answer at LT then a guy like Darnell Wright at the end of the first makes a ton of sense and he has the tools to possibly play LT if needed.   My draft crush is Nolan Smith at DE but I think he is long gone by 31.

Big Bama fan and love Gibbs but we cannot add another rb in the first.  How is Gibbs gonna get 700 yards receiving when we never even threw it to CEH (which was the reason many believed we drafted him).  Mahomes doesn't love to check it down so I see that being difficult to do. I also think that takes away touches from Pacheco which reduces the value of having a talented 7th round pick starting, but you are right we need another talented back but maybe not in the first.  If we had a different coach that was more balanced then I would be all for it because adding a JC lite running back to this O would be silly ridiculous. 

Also disagree about the TE postion.  None of the guys we have behind Travis are future #1 TE material.  Gray is good and very useful but he will never be the #1 option imo.  Fortson is talented but getting older and he honestly didn't do much last year.  I think we keep 4 TE's this year which allows for one more on the roster.   

I think we need another WR (dj chark, obj, thielen, olamide zaccheaus, mack hollins, trent sherfield, and i hate to say it but hardman is getting cheaper to bring back by the day)

and my dream is calias campbell wants a ring and comes here on the cheap , but if not I think a vet DT is needed before the draft.

other than WR and DT i think we can fill other needs in draft and make remaining moves minor moves around training camp time.

11 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I think we need another WR (dj chark, obj, thielen, olamide zaccheaus, mack hollins, trent sherfield, and i hate to say it but hardman is getting cheaper to bring back by the day)

and my dream is calias campbell wants a ring and comes here on the cheap , but if not I think a vet DT is needed before the draft.

other than WR and DT i think we can fill other needs in draft and make remaining moves minor moves around training camp time.

that'd be sweet

30 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

In your previous post I agree that getting Gaines would be awesome. I think they have to find a wr that can be a legit #2 if needed in FA as well. Can Guyton or Callaway be that if needed?  I do like your approach.  Find guys who have had success and maybe a down year and get them in cheap and let Mahomes raise their ceiling.   I hope they continue to backfill the roster leading up to the draft as to give Veach full BPA ability.   What position group would you be most nervous about in this draft?  I think it's wr for me.  I could us moving up for a DE or OT but overall its a weaker wr class.   If they truly believe Taylor is an answer at LT then a guy like Darnell Wright at the end of the first makes a ton of sense and he has the tools to possibly play LT if needed.   My draft crush is Nolan Smith at DE but I think he is long gone by 31.

Big Bama fan and love Gibbs but we cannot add another rb in the first.  How is Gibbs gonna get 700 yards receiving when we never even threw it to CEH (which was the reason many believed we drafted him).  Mahomes doesn't love to check it down so I see that being difficult to do. I also think that takes away touches from Pacheco which reduces the value of having a talented 7th round pick starting, but you are right we need another talented back but maybe not in the first.  If we had a different coach that was more balanced then I would be all for it because adding a JC lite running back to this O would be silly ridiculous. 

Also disagree about the TE postion.  None of the guys we have behind Travis are future #1 TE material.  Gray is good and very useful but he will never be the #1 option imo.  Fortson is talented but getting older and he honestly didn't do much last year.  I think we keep 4 TE's this year which allows for one more on the roster.   

Agree. We need a wr that can beat man coverage because all we got is kelce who can do that. 

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

I like Tillman as a day two WR, but with Reid's offense, it's tough for a rookie to contribute in his first year.  A possession WR should be the top remaining FA IMHO

At some point we are going to have to keep drafting wr because signing these vets to one year deals doesn't solve the long term problem.  I agree we need to sign a vet this offseason and still draft a wr high.  Then going into 2024 we have Toney, Moore, Rookie that have been in the system at least one year and it won't be such a necessity.  Also Kelce isn't getting younger so we need to add more than just a talented vet to the team this offseason.  We need to be considering how we can take some off his plate moving forward.  I don't think Gray and Forston are the long term solutions there either.  A day 3 TE might be in the cards.    1 FA WR, 1 Rookie WR, 1 Rookie TE would be a good start.

8 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Everyone is so fixated on the fact he played RB. It's numbing. Has no RB ever converted to WR? Has no WR ever taken snaps at RB? 

This guy is a bit thicker than Tyreek and Mecole and he runs a 4.36, only a few ticks behind Mecole. He also has as much production catching the ball as Mecole did coming out of Georgia. He's faster than McKinnon and he has alot more fluidity in space.

This guy lined up inside and outside at WR and came out of the backfield. The stated goal is to have him convert to WR, but he can be that flex option out of the backfield as a rookie as well while he learns to run a better route tree as a WR and take many of those snaps McKinnon took.

I read Chiefs' fan takes all the time. Do you know the name that pops up on wishlists all the time? Deebo Samuel.

Deebo didn't start getting flexed into the backfield until SF lost Jerick McKinnon. In Andy's new-look Chiefs' offense, you guys realize McKinnon had over 500 yards receiving last year right? Andy used him more from the backfield, but he did flex out. Coincidentally though, Deebo and McKinnon's stat lines weren't all that dissimilar last year.

I think Reid could use this guy a lot, both in replacement of McKinnon and as another viable outside option, because he offers so much. 70 carries for 300 yards? He can do that. 56 catches for 500 yards? He can do that. He can slip out into the slot or Z when Pacheco is on the field and give you some of those snaps that Watson, Skyy, and Toney had last year in situations. 

Let's just conjecture for a minute... 

Toney takes over the JuJu role. Skyy takes over the Hardman role. MVS is MVS. Gibbs takes over some of the deep stabs that Watson was running and the McKinnon role in 2023 and then moves into the MVS role in 2024 so KC can cut his salary.

In that situation, Gibbs has the potential to put up 1000 yards between 300 on the ground and 700-ish through the air before moving into a more permanent WR role in 2024. 

Tyreek's output as a rookie was 61 for 593 and 24 for 267. I don't think it's impossible to see this. I'm very much alone I guess.

6 hours ago, kccrow said:

Everyone is so fixated on the fact he played RB. It's numbing. Has no RB ever converted to WR? Has no WR ever taken snaps at RB? 

This guy is a bit thicker than Tyreek and Mecole and he runs a 4.36, only a few ticks behind Mecole. He also has as much production catching the ball as Mecole did coming out of Georgia. He's faster than McKinnon and he has alot more fluidity in space.

This guy lined up inside and outside at WR and came out of the backfield. The stated goal is to have him convert to WR, but he can be that flex option out of the backfield as a rookie as well while he learns to run a better route tree as a WR and take many of those snaps McKinnon took.

I read Chiefs' fan takes all the time. Do you know the name that pops up on wishlists all the time? Deebo Samuel.

Deebo didn't start getting flexed into the backfield until SF lost Jerick McKinnon. In Andy's new-look Chiefs' offense, you guys realize McKinnon had over 500 yards receiving last year right? Andy used him more from the backfield, but he did flex out. Coincidentally though, Deebo and McKinnon's stat lines weren't all that dissimilar last year.

I think Reid could use this guy a lot, both in replacement of McKinnon and as another viable outside option, because he offers so much. 70 carries for 300 yards? He can do that. 56 catches for 500 yards? He can do that. He can slip out into the slot or Z when Pacheco is on the field and give you some of those snaps that Watson, Skyy, and Toney had last year in situations. 

Let's just conjecture for a minute... 

Toney takes over the JuJu role. Skyy takes over the Hardman role. MVS is MVS. Gibbs takes over some of the deep stabs that Watson was running and the McKinnon role in 2023 and then moves into the MVS role in 2024 so KC can cut his salary.

In that situation, Gibbs has the potential to put up 1000 yards between 300 on the ground and 700-ish through the air before moving into a more permanent WR role in 2024. 

Tyreek's output as a rookie was 61 for 593 and 24 for 267. I don't think it's impossible to see this. I'm very much alone I guess.

We are fixated on it because its not an easy switch.  I'm a huge Alabama fan and love the kid but you have no idea if he can make that switch.  I haven't seen Deebo's name on this board in a while or on any Chiefs wish list.  Converting a career rb to wr doesn't happen over night and the SF offense is vastly different than ours.  A converted RB could far more easily assimilate into that offense in that role at that cost than in our O.  If you are using Tyreek as the example for us remember it took years before he was a top tier wr.  We don't have the luxury to wait that long and the chances he turns into the next Tyreek is also minimal.

Toney may be able to take over Juju's role but they are vastly different players.  Sky isn't as fast as Hardman and struggled when asked to do the jet sweeps.  Gibbs is a very talented player but that seems illogical to try such a thing with our first round pick when we need a starting caliber DE, OT, and WR first.  Also that is the kind of pick you make in the middle of the draft. 

I like the mental exercise in contemplating such a decision but think it would a monumental mistake.

9 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

We are fixated on it because its not an easy switch.  I'm a huge Alabama fan and love the kid but you have no idea if he can make that switch.  I haven't seen Deebo's name on this board in a while or on any Chiefs wish list.  Converting a career rb to wr doesn't happen over night and the SF offense is vastly different than ours.  A converted RB could far more easily assimilate into that offense in that role at that cost than in our O.  If you are using Tyreek as the example for us remember it took years before he was a top tier wr.  We don't have the luxury to wait that long and the chances he turns into the next Tyreek is also minimal.

Toney may be able to take over Juju's role but they are vastly different players.  Sky isn't as fast as Hardman and struggled when asked to do the jet sweeps.  Gibbs is a very talented player but that seems illogical to try such a thing with our first round pick when we need a starting caliber DE, OT, and WR first.  Also that is the kind of pick you make in the middle of the draft. 

I like the mental exercise in contemplating such a decision but think it would a monumental mistake.

I think we should get very used to Skyy and Toney being the replacements for JuJu and Hardman. Whichever one ends up doing each thing is irrelevant in my eyes. Maybe they do something yet but I think that depends on if they trade for Tunsil (I think they are). The next biggest contributor offensively was McKinnon and then Watson. You can retain or replace Watson easily and Justyn Ross just might be that dude. I'd argue we have plenty of time to let Gibbs acclimate to WR while using him in the McKinnon role for now. It's really about creating matchup problems at all levels of the field and Gibbs is a problem. Knowing what you know as an Alabama fan, you know that he functioned as much as a receiver as he did a RB. It's not like what he did at Alabama was anything different than what he did at Georgia Tech. There's not another athlete like him out there this year. I'm not arguing a position strongly, he's just intriguing and could be a very versatile weapon that's difficult for the opposition to account for.

There aren't too many that intrigue me as much as him and those that do are either firmly a WR or firmly a RB and have no ability to flex between them. I do really, really like Tyler Scott from Cincinnati at WR. I'd grab Jalen Hyatt if he was in striking distance. When it comes to WR it's going to be about speed and multiplicity. There aren't many of those types. 

There are only a select few RBs I really like to replace McKinnon. I do like Israel Abanikanda, Tyjae Spears, Evan Hull, and Kenny McIntosh quite a bit.

The Chiefs will probably draft a WR every year in the first four rounds.  This year they need that plus another FA to fill the roster.  I like Tillman from Tenn or Perry from Wake Forest.  They aren't burners, but are long and can catch.  Not sure where they find a FA to replace JuJu.  Even if Hardman comes back, that doesn't fill that role.  One name that comes to mind to replace McKinnon is Vaught from KState.  Don't know if he can pass protect at his size, but he would be versatile as a RB/receiver and could be there early day three. 

29 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs will probably draft a WR every year in the first four rounds.  This year they need that plus another FA to fill the roster.  I like Tillman from Tenn or Perry from Wake Forest.  They aren't burners, but are long and can catch.  Not sure where they find a FA to replace JuJu.  Even if Hardman comes back, that doesn't fill that role.  One name that comes to mind to replace McKinnon is Vaught from KState.  Don't know if he can pass protect at his size, but he would be versatile as a RB/receiver and could be there early day three. 

he's that little sawed off Barry Sanders looking kid? He is fun to watch but have to wonder about is blocking as well. IF he is around n Day 3 I sure would not be mad about picking him up.

5 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

Tunsil signed back to Texans. Cowboys got cooks. 
I really would like chiefs to grab a wr with nfl experience and defenses look at as a threat and can beat man coverages.  
I don’t feel comfortable going into the season with what we have at wr. 

Tunsil extending surprised the shit out of me. I would have thought he'd play this year and then get out while he's still got some years to play. That's a career finisher contract with a rebuilding franchise. Damn.

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

he's that little sawed off Barry Sanders looking kid? He is fun to watch but have to wonder about is blocking as well. IF he is around n Day 3 I sure would not be mad about picking him up.

He's smaller than Barry by a good margin. Barry was like 5'8" 200 and this kid is about 5'5" and 175.

Guys like Vaughn don't tend to make it in the league.

21 minutes ago, kccrow said:

He's smaller than Barry by a good margin. Barry was like 5'8" 200 and this kid is about 5'5" and 175.

Guys like Vaughn don't tend to make it in the league.

yikes I didn't know he was that small. yea he'd need to be used rather sparingly  and not as a blocker lol. Probably go undrafted

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

yikes I didn't know he was that small. yea he'd need to be used rather sparingly  and not as a blocker lol. Probably go undrafted

Someone will snap him up in the 6th or 7th round to be a kick returner and gadget player. He's insanely talented he's just way too small to take on any kind of major role and his chances for injury are exceedingly high.