Mock Draft 3.19.23

kccrow

On 3/21/2023 at 5:08 PM, xen said:

Mazi scares me.  Where's the pass rush production.  Orherwise you spent a 1 on a space eater.

Scott as well.  His coach talking about 4.2 or 4.3 40.  Wonder what happened?

Mazi gets a lot of pressure, which is severely underappreciated. Sacks are nice on the stat line but when you're looking at a DT it's not everything. It's a big reason I really wanted Veach to go get Greg Gaines. I know PFF isn't the greatest source of information in the world but they do alright charting alot of statistics. Here's a little nugget from an article talking about Mazi:

"In 2022, among all qualifying Power-5 interior defensive linemen, Smith T-4th in run stops (27) and finished 7th in run stop percentage (11.6 percent). Further, his 81.3 run-defense grade was the 10th best among the same population. Lastly, his 4.5 missed tackle rate finished in the top-25 percent at the position (one of 21 interior defenders to miss less than 5.0 percent of run play tackles in 2022).

Smith also flashed some pass-rushing ability, finishing in top 30 at the position in total quarterback pressures (25) and top-50 in pass-rush win rate (11.4 percent). His sack totals were nothing special with just two to speak of over 680 career pass-rush snaps, but with coaching and his innate athleticism, he has the potential to convert more of the pressures to sacks at the next level."

Mazi gets a lot done upfront that the Chiefs sorely lack. We're going to send Omenihu down, Danna down, Wharton in, and probably get another guy like Dante Stills to fill a lot of the pure pass-rushing downs in at DT. What we need is a 1-tech that can dominate the LOS with enough juice to get home when the opportunity is there. If he can get 4 sacks a year, that's a big-time win. I think, in a true one-gap scheme with proper coaching, he can be that type of player. 

As for Tyler Scott, yeah I'm not sure what happened there with him. He has obvious, easy speed on the football field. He was an outstanding sprinter in track and field to boot. I don't know if he just had a shit day or what, but you can see 4.3 speed on the field. Heard he clocked around 4.32 at the Cincy Pro Day, so I think it's safer to assume he had a bad day running at the combine. Yeah, people thought he would run in the upper 4.2s but if he's a 4.37 guy or something like that, he's still fast. He also has RB agility and a great vertical.  I dunno, I like him more than most. 

23 minutes ago, kccrow said:

Mazi gets a lot of pressure, which is severely underappreciated. Sacks are nice on the stat line but when you're looking at a DT it's not everything. It's a big reason I really wanted Veach to go get Greg Gaines. I know PFF isn't the greatest source of information in the world but they do alright charting alot of statistics. Here's a little nugget from an article talking about Mazi:

Mazi gets a lot done upfront that the Chiefs sorely lack. We're going to send Omenihu down, Danna down, Wharton in, and probably get another guy like Dante Stills to fill a lot of the pure pass-rushing downs in at DT. What we need is a 1-tech that can dominate the LOS with enough juice to get home when the opportunity is there. If he can get 4 sacks a year, that's a big-time win. I think, in a true one-gap scheme with proper coaching, he can be that type of player. 

As for Tyler Scott, yeah I'm not sure what happened there with him. He has obvious, easy speed on the football field. He was an outstanding sprinter in track and field to boot. I don't know if he just had a shit day or what, but you can see 4.3 speed on the field. Heard he clocked around 4.32 at the Cincy Pro Day, so I think it's safer to assume he had a bad day running at the combine. Yeah, people thought he would run in the upper 4.2s but if he's a 4.37 guy or something like that, he's still fast. He also has RB agility and a great vertical.  I dunno, I like him more than most. 

according to this he's a 4.4 guy? that is quite the difference but he is intriguing, also a 4rth rounder? so would the Chiefs need to make him their 3rd rnd pick?

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Tyler-Scott-WR-Cincinnati

1 hour ago, kccrow said:

Oh I get that he's a good player, but if I'm spending a first round pick on a defensive lineman it better be to affect the passing game in a real way.  He's got a little pass rush in him but while he may get better with coaching the opponents are better as well.

I don't trust pro day hand times.  Unless they're laser timing it's all fake news.  

That's said he did look faster on the field but short and slow is no way to go through life.

30 minutes ago, xen said:

Oh I get that he's a good player, but if I'm spending a first round pick on a defensive lineman it better be to affect the passing game in a real way.  He's got a little pass rush in him but while he may get better with coaching the opponents are better as well.

I don't trust pro day hand times.  Unless they're laser timing it's all fake news.  

That's said he did look faster on the field but short and slow is no way to go through life.

🤣