Anyone getting worried about our WR situation yet?

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Another WR that was good three years ago.  I trust Veach to do due diligence on him, but he'd be #4 or #5 at this point. 

Do you think Veach is trying to solve the puzzle now bc his master planned has already fallen apart for this next season?

36 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Saw something interesting on twitter today comparing Randy Moss when he went to NE and Hopkins.  At the right price its the right move.   The longer this goes Veach looks better and better.   

I hope that turns out to be the case.  I’m really trying to not worry.  

1 hour ago, Mr Ev said:

Trying not to worry is kind of an oxymoron. You can't try to control the feeling of not being in control.

It's very simple. Try to enjoy our NFL championship.  Why expend so much emotional effort as a fan, then not be able to enjoy the final result? These are not the worrying times.  These are the good times.  If a person makes a whole bunch of money and then becomes petrified of losing it, why make the money in the first place?

11 hours ago, Mr Ev said:

I try not to as well Ev.  I do feel better after last year thought.  I think Mahomes has taken another step and as long as he has decent protection and I think we can do that with our Oline right now and and as long as he has 3-4 solid to above avg receivers then he is going to put up incredible numbers.   Kelce, MVS are both solidly in that category and Toney is an elite talent just a health concern and Moore has shown flashes of being there.   Adding two more solid players and we are good to go in need be.   Veach might have just jedi mind tricked himself into Nuk without giving up a single pick. 

1 hour ago, xen said:

Excited for Ross. With all these videos coming out...many are complaining about the quality of his route running, how slow he looks, type of drills, etc. IMO, I think these drills are basically to see how his foot responds to cutting and planting. No need to go 100% and risk an injury. 

Chiefs Wire

Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy says media is too high on receiver class in 2023 NFL draft

Charles Goldman
Mon, April 10, 2023 at 12:45 PM CDT

The Kansas City Chiefs could be on the hunt for a wide receiver in the 2023 NFL draft, but they might have a hard time landing an impact prospect in the first round.

After speaking with NFL decision-makers, Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy believes that there is a big disparity between NFL perception and media perception of the wide receiver position in this year’s draft. According to Nagy, of the wide receivers in this draft class, only Ohio State’s Jaxon Smith-Njigba has a first-round grade from NFL clubs.

He suggests that seeing 4-5 receivers selected in the first round, as has become commonplace in mock drafts, simply isn’t realistic.

This isn’t the first time that we’ve heard this about the receiver class. Draft Wire’s Jeff Risdon made a bold prediction last month that only one receiver would be selected in the first round of the draft. That scenario seems quite unlikely as it hasn’t happened in the last 16 years, but the news from Nagy at least suggests that teams aren’t sold on this receiver class.

Clubs typically have around a dozen first-round grades in any given draft class. Picking at No. 31, you simply shouldn’t expect to get one of those players. Maybe a player like TCU WR Quentin Johnston drops into their laps in the first round and they feel comfortable taking him. Maybe they’re also not high on this draft class and feel there isn’t much drop-off between prospects after Smith-Njigba goes.

It’s also possible that this is a smokescreen from NFL clubs who are trying to get some receivers to fall in the draft. 

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:
Chiefs Wire

Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy says media is too high on receiver class in 2023 NFL draft

Charles Goldman
Mon, April 10, 2023 at 12:45 PM CDT

The Kansas City Chiefs could be on the hunt for a wide receiver in the 2023 NFL draft, but they might have a hard time landing an impact prospect in the first round.

After speaking with NFL decision-makers, Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy believes that there is a big disparity between NFL perception and media perception of the wide receiver position in this year’s draft. According to Nagy, of the wide receivers in this draft class, only Ohio State’s Jaxon Smith-Njigba has a first-round grade from NFL clubs.

He suggests that seeing 4-5 receivers selected in the first round, as has become commonplace in mock drafts, simply isn’t realistic.

This isn’t the first time that we’ve heard this about the receiver class. Draft Wire’s Jeff Risdon made a bold prediction last month that only one receiver would be selected in the first round of the draft. That scenario seems quite unlikely as it hasn’t happened in the last 16 years, but the news from Nagy at least suggests that teams aren’t sold on this receiver class.

Clubs typically have around a dozen first-round grades in any given draft class. Picking at No. 31, you simply shouldn’t expect to get one of those players. Maybe a player like TCU WR Quentin Johnston drops into their laps in the first round and they feel comfortable taking him. Maybe they’re also not high on this draft class and feel there isn’t much drop-off between prospects after Smith-Njigba goes.

It’s also possible that this is a smokescreen from NFL clubs who are trying to get some receivers to fall in the draft. 

Ryan Tracy, of RGR football podcasts, says the same thing.  JSN is the only WR with a 1st round grade.  That's bad news for the Chiefs.  Fewer WRs taken ahead of them means more OTs and EDGEs will be gone early.

43 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Ryan Tracy, of RGR football podcasts, says the same thing.  JSN is the only WR with a 1st round grade.  That's bad news for the Chiefs.  Fewer WRs taken ahead of them means more OTs and EDGEs will be gone early.

Teams will reach. I bet 3 minimum WR fo 1st round before we pick.

It's always the same thing every year.  Even though everyone knows that stars come out of the later rounds and mid rounds and even UDFA's, we still get brainwashed by the talking heads that assume that only a first round "grade" is worthwhile, and we should freak out. This is despite Travis Kelce coming in the third round and Tyreek Hill in the 5th round, etc. ad nauseum.  And of course all the great first rounders that were complete busts. None of these talking heads know shit, but they sure talk.  And it seems that everyone here every year are mesmerized by this illogic.  In other words, the cassandras need to calm down.  People we never heard about are guys we will be slavering over in a couple of years and wishing we had them.  The whole point is to not be stupid as a team, come in armed with a full knowledge of every player and exactly how their traits work best with the makeup and construction and style of our own team, and let coaching do the rest. In other words, Ryan Tracy of podcast fame can go fuck himself. We have Patrick Mahomes throwing to whoever we draft. No other team can say that.

9 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Teams will reach. I bet 3 minimum WR fo 1st round before we pick.

DL and OL seem to be deep in this draft based on the same "experts". So there's a good chance that teams will reach for crappy players in shallow positions like WR leaving some studs on the first couple days in critical positions. 

4 hours ago, sith13 said:

DL and OL seem to be deep in this draft based on the same "experts". So there's a good chance that teams will reach for crappy players in shallow positions like WR leaving some studs on the first couple days in critical positions. 

The whole WR draft class not good thing is I think a little off.  It doesn't have high end prospects but it does have some depth and has some interesting prospects starting in round 2.  It's bogged down a little by some high end guys not testing due to injury and some bad speed scores on smaller guys we thought would be faster.  But there is some quality to be had.  If a guy like Quentin Johnson falls I'd be all over it.

18 minutes ago, xen said:

The whole WR draft class not good thing is I think a little off.  It doesn't have high end prospects but it does have some depth and has some interesting prospects starting in round 2.  It's bogged down a little by some high end guys not testing due to injury and some bad speed scores on smaller guys we thought would be faster.  But there is some quality to be had.  If a guy like Quentin Johnson falls I'd be all over it.

yup

41 minutes ago, xen said:

Never really understood how the "experts" judge a draft class but getting a decent #2 WR in the second or third day is usually a win IMO. Not sure what the expectations and the reality of this class is but if some GMs jump on that bandwagon and reach for some prospects it's just a big win for teams like us.