Anyone getting worried about our WR situation yet?

44 minutes ago, xen said:

The whole WR draft class not good thing is I think a little off.  It doesn't have high end prospects but it does have some depth and has some interesting prospects starting in round 2.  It's bogged down a little by some high end guys not testing due to injury and some bad speed scores on smaller guys we thought would be faster.  But there is some quality to be had.  If a guy like Quentin Johnson falls I'd be all over it.

There are always 'gems' found in the later rounds. There may not be many, but they're there. Andy knows what he wants... that's why I think we'll find at least 2 second-day gems... maybe 3. I'd love to see them find a WR, S and TE on day 2.

15 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Never really understood how the "experts" judge a draft class but getting a decent #2 WR in the second or third day is usually a win IMO. Not sure what the expectations and the reality of this class is but if some GMs jump on that bandwagon and reach for some prospects it's just a big win for teams like us.

Yeah I hope they all fall.  Also not buying the Quentin Johnson not a first rounder nonsense unless the medical isn't checking out or lack of testing gets him.  Personally I think that's scout bullshit trying to get him to drop.

14 minutes ago, mex said:

There are always 'gems' found in the later rounds. There may not be many, but they're there. Andy knows what he wants... that's why I think we'll find at least 2 second-day gems... maybe 3. I'd love to see them find a WR, S and TE on day 2.

There's a ton of tight ends I'd love us to grab in this class.  Anything you want in a TE you can find.

Hell even guys like Brenton Strange, who looks really great in some of his games, will be there late due to injury or just the depth of this class.  Some of the best blockers in this class tested through the roof as well.  Don't think I've seen a class like this.  Really just lacking the super high end prospects like we've seen go top 10, but it has everything else.

We cleaned up in the later rounds in the last draft, and now we have so many guys from the last two drafts who are starting to blossom and shine.  I think the Chiefs are going to be much better overall, because the guys they picked carefully will be entering their second and third years and reaching their full potential.  People around the league will be scratching their heads and wondering how we continue to be so good, regardless of what happens in this draft.

41 minutes ago, mex said:

The TE class is so deep, there will be somebody on day 2.  We'll definitely take one, because....Andy Reid.

1 hour ago, mex said:

How do the Chiefs get three "gems" on day two with only two picks, one of which so many want to use to move up in round 1?  Guess I never learned the new math very well.  

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

How do the Chiefs get three "gems" on day two with only two picks, one of which so many want to use to move up in round 1?  Guess I never learned the new math very well.  

Technically true.  But we gave up a round three compensatory pick to get Kadarius Toney.  I would consider, then, Toney to be be a proven acquisition from this year's day 2.  So, using that reasoning, all we have to do is find 2 gems on day 2.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Technically true.  But we gave up a round three compensatory pick to get Kadarius Toney.  I would consider, then, Toney to be be a proven acquisition from this year's day 2.  So, using that reasoning, all we have to do is find 2 gems on day 2.

You have a point although in a rather contorted way.  If the Chiefs had traded their second for Hopkins, then they would still have three day two pick by that reasoning.  I usually felt that once money was spent, I didn't have the money any longer.   

3 minutes ago, xen said:

Would you rather worry about in a shitty TE class?

Why not worry about it 2-3 years from now instead of having one sit behind Kelce until his rookie contract has expired?  Another good TE would be nice.  Using a high pick for one for a team in a "win now" mode just isn't a priority for me.  

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

I was counting rds 4 - 6 as day 2 because that's how it used to be. Smartass.

14 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Why not worry about it 2-3 years from now instead of having one sit behind Kelce until his rookie contract has expired?  Another good TE would be nice.  Using a high pick for one for a team in a "win now" mode just isn't a priority for me.  

Who said we need to use a 'high pick' for a TE?

23 minutes ago, xen said:

Would you rather worry about in a shitty TE class?

I'm not worried about TE at all. Good or bad draft class this year. We have the best TE in the game for maybe 2 years or so. We have Forston and Gray. We really don't know what they are capable of. Last year Kelce had 177 targets. Gray only 37 Fortson 13. Kelce's replacement is on the roster now. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

totally disagree. get one that can do an above average job at spelling TK  to extend his career. Andy loves Multiple TE sets anyway so that's a plus IF and probably when TK starts breaking down we are set. I see no downside to drafting a TE and me would not be upset if it was pick #31 cuz he'll be a stud

7 hours ago, jetlord said:

Because I'm old enough to remember that Andy loves 12 personnel, or how the Pats just ripped up the NFL using 12 with two great tight ends  Or how teams aren't really built to stop that.

Take your pick.

On 4/12/2023 at 11:39 AM, oldtimer said:

totally disagree. get one that can do an above average job at spelling TK  to extend his career. Andy loves Multiple TE sets anyway so that's a plus IF and probably when TK starts breaking down we are set. I see no downside to drafting a TE and me would not be upset if it was pick #31 cuz he'll be a stud

I agree. TK replacement is not on the roster. 
A stud TE that can lineup with kelce would help mitigate some of the WR needs in my mind. I really like Kincaid kid. Him and kelce on the field forcing safties and LB to cover would give us chain movers all day long! 
I know we need a OT. 
anyway we slice it I’m more excited about this draft than I have been for a long time. 
CEH and maybe Gay as trade options may come into play. In my opinion. 

13 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

I agree. TK replacement is not on the roster. 
A stud TE that can lineup with kelce would help mitigate some of the WR needs in my mind. I really like Kincaid kid. Him and kelce on the field forcing safties and LB to cover would give us chain movers all day long! 
I know we need a OT. 
anyway we slice it I’m more excited about this draft than I have been for a long time. 
CEH and maybe Gay as trade options may come into play. In my opinion. 

Kincaid is a stud.  Be nice if he was bigger but good receiver.

Chiefs Wire

Chiefs to re-sign WR Justin Watson on two-year contract

As first reported by ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Chiefs are set to re-sign WR Justin Watson on a two-year contract worth up to $6 million. The deal includes $1.4 million guaranteed. ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler adds that it’s effectively worth $3.5 million with escalators and incentives each year that could push the deal to that $6 million total mark.