Anyone getting worried about our WR situation yet?

34 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

with this signing and all the WRs in camp..hard to imagine the Chiefs  spending much draft capital on a WR anymore. I certainly think that D-Hop dream was just that and now  has become more of a punch line to a joke.

It doesn't really change the WR need for the Chiefs.  Most of us assumed Watson would be back and he's not taking a huge percentage of the snaps.  They still need that #1 to take pressure off Kelce and to replace JuJu's role.  I'm hoping they draft a big guy that can be reliable on those third down plays and have talked about Perry or Tillman.  There's others that will be available and they can be had on day two.  

55 minutes ago, jetlord said:

It doesn't really change the WR need for the Chiefs.  Most of us assumed Watson would be back and he's not taking a huge percentage of the snaps.  They still need that #1 to take pressure off Kelce and to replace JuJu's role.  I'm hoping they draft a big guy that can be reliable on those third down plays and have talked about Perry or Tillman.  There's others that will be available and they can be had on day two.  

My point by saying "spending much draft capital on a WR" is moving up drafting in order to get one. Also I'll throw in a  stud TE  could accomplish exactly what your 3rd sentence said. That being said IF one falls to them and they are sitting there with their jaws on the ground wondering WTF he's doing there then that'd be more understandable. JuJu was no #1 and we just won a SB without a real #1.  JMO but I think that delusion of thinking we need a true #1 to be successful is been thrown out with the dish water. 

In Veach I trust

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

My point by saying "spending much draft capital on a WR" is moving up drafting in order to get one. Also I'll throw in a  stud TE  could accomplish exactly what your 3rd sentence said. That being said IF one falls to them and they are sitting there with their jaws on the ground wondering WTF he's doing there then that'd be more understandable. JuJu was no #1 and we just won a SB without a real #1.  JMO but I think that delusion of thinking we need a true #1 to be successful is been thrown out with the dish water. 

In Veach I trust

Agree. I'd be surprised if they buy slots for a WR. They can still bolster the WR room in the draft. We still need OT and Edge.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

In Veach I trust

JuJu was a big reason the Chiefs won the SB.  How many first down catches did he have in the second half?  That's what I'm talking about except a big body would open up more to Mahomes.  

I'd say our wide receivers right now have a lot of potential.  And a lot of question marks.  Outside of MVS, Richie James has the most NFL starts of the bunch with 14.  In 4 years.  KT, Skyy, MVS, James, Powell, Watson and Reed might be really good.  But at this moment in time, it's hard to be completely comfortable with that room.  

2 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I'd say our wide receivers right now have a lot of potential.  And a lot of question marks.  Outside of MVS, Richie James has the most NFL starts of the bunch with 14.  In 4 years.  KT, Skyy, MVS, James, Powell, Watson and Reed might be really good.  But at this moment in time, it's hard to be completely comfortable with that room.  

Richie James may not even make the team.  MVS, Moore, Toney, Watson, and whomever they draft are probably locks  James can compete with Ross, Ross, Powell, and maybe others for a roster spot.  

13 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Richie James may not even make the team.  MVS, Moore, Toney, Watson, and whomever they draft are probably locks  James can compete with Ross, Ross, Powell, and maybe others for a roster spot.  

He might not.  But you have to add together all three of Watson, Moore and Toney's yards last year to equal James.  Adding any two of them together don't do it.  That's with Jones throwing the ball.  That's kind of my point.  There's some serious questions about who even makes the roster.  

We're fine at WR. We have Mahomes. We replaced Hill. We can replace JuJu with our current WR group. Toney is better than JuJu (if healthy, big if) Moore will take off, MVS has another year with Pat, Watson is reliable. Richie James will be gadget. We need to focus on EDGE & T. Maybe depth/ST at WR later in draft or lower $$ FA. 

7 minutes ago, mex said:

We're fine at WR. 

That doesn't mean we won't draft a good one... but I'd be amazed if we used a 1st or 2nd rounder on a WR.

Veach has tried to position the roster so he can draft any player that will have an impact regardless of position.  He's brought in an OT, DE, WR, and DT.  I think it's very risky to go into the season depending on Taylor and Niang without backups.  They still don't have a big possession receiver.  Karlaftis, Omenihu, and Dana aren't enough at edge.  Jones and Wharton need help.  But there're guys lurking in FA that will be used to fill after the draft such as Dunlap and McKinnon.  Veach needs upgrades at the above positions, but his hands aren't tied by having no one.  

33 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Veach has tried to position the roster so he can draft any player that will have an impact regardless of position.  He's brought in an OT, DE, WR, and DT.  I think it's very risky to go into the season depending on Taylor and Niang without backups.  They still don't have a big possession receiver.  Karlaftis, Omenihu, and Dana aren't enough at edge.  Jones and Wharton need help.  But there're guys lurking in FA that will be used to fill after the draft such as Dunlap and McKinnon.  Veach needs upgrades at the above positions, but his hands aren't tied by having no one.  

After the draft and then there will be cut ls made too. Veach will get those he can and do his magic soon after too.

We should not be done at WR and if a good one falls to us in the draft I wouldn't be surprised if veach goes for it.

Watson struggled vs press last year.  Richie James is ok but not a game breaker.  Skyy is still young.  MVS is limited in his routes.  And our number one as of now has missed a lot of games.  Everyone else is unproven.

Please stop with thinking veach is done.  By the logic in here we're fine at OT and edge.

6 minutes ago, xen said:

Please stop with thinking veach is done.  By the logic in here we're fine at OT and edge.

Who said Veach is done?

I don't want him trading up for a WR but that doesn't mean he won't. Personally I think there are more pressing needs at OT and this year there are a lot of quality guys, some of which will be around in the late 1st. This would be the year to pick up a LTOTF without it costing a lot. 

IMO he will absolutely draft a WR. I just don't think it will be early. Of course I'm projecting my opinion on our needs into my hopes on draft day... but my opinion has about as much weight as anyone's in this forum... which is jack shit.

Veach will do what he does.

Some guys on Twitter are disappointed in bring Watson back but I think our signing James forced him to make a decision.  Guys like him don't want to wait until after the draft when teams are more likely to give their rookies a chance to be the 5th and 6th option.   We also got him on a two year deal for peanuts. Mahomes trusts him which is great for the 5th-6th option.  

Depending on what they do in the draft and after the draft in FA my guess is James and MVS are playing for a roster spot with whoever they bring in along with the Ross brothers.  I think MVS will make the roster but if a guy like Justyn Ross wows then maybe they move on from one of those guys or they keep 7 wr's and cut back on OL.  I'm sure intrigued in what Veach is going to do in this draft.   I honestly think they are going after a OT and DL and then move up in the 3rd or back into the 2nd for a WR unless like some of you said the board provides a wr that shouldn't be there.   

By most accounts this wr draft class has good value in the middle rounds 2-4.  The top of this draft is pretty meh.  I'm not sure any of these wr's would go top 20 in the past few drafts (maybe JSN).   The value is later with guys that will fall into the 2nd (Tillman, Rice, Perry, Scott, Dell, Boutte).  Also recent history tells us we can find great wr's in the 2nd.  Whiff on one there and it stings a little.  Whiff on a first rounder and that stings a lot more.   

Our best option unless some stud falls to 31 is trade back for a team needing a qb or wanting that 5th year option and loading up on guys in the 2nd and 3rd.  Kinda of feel like Clark Hunt won't allow that and maybe even forcing them to make a splash play.  If that is the case I hope its for a 5th rounder for DHop though and not a crazy move up for a  WR. 

13 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

a 5th rounder for DHop

He would be an amazing addition, without a doubt... but we would need to not only restructure a few existing contracts to free cap space, but we'd need to give him a short, incentivized contract that will likely be less than he wants. He does want a ring though, so my guess is if he's available come June 1, Veach could get it done.

13 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Kinda of feel like Clark Hunt won't allow that and maybe even forcing them to make a splash play.  

when I read these kind of speculations I want to rip my hair out...luckily I have no hair to rip out. Clark aint forcing Veach to do shit in the draft. If we had Jerry Jones or the like I'd think maybe that would be a possibility. Clark wants what's best for the Chiefs and another SB win, he left those decisions  on how to accomplish that goal to Veach..the end