Sugar Ray?

A million years ago, the boxing world craved for a match-up between Sugar Ray Leonard and Marvelous Marvin Hagler.  It was the marquee match up of the ages.  By the time it finally happened, SRL was at the end of his career.  He was coming off of ocular surgery.  He was looking to cash in.

Hagler was coming off of one of the most brutal fights in boxing history.  He and Thomas "Hit Man" Hearns brutalized each other for a mere 2 rounds of boxing bliss.  MMH WAS the dude.  Still, he never got his respect.  

Sugar Ray was the media's dude.  The world loved SRL.  He was an Olympic champ.  He was pretty.  He was eloquent. But his better days were behind him.

When SRL vs MMH happened the world expected a butchering.  Yet.. 

MMH had a hard-on for SRL.  The champion gets to dictate the terms of the fight.  Yet MMH gave in to lighter gloves at SRL's demand -- to SRL's advantage.  MMH gave in to 12 rounds versus 15 at SRL's demand.

SRL "best-buddied" MMH leading into the fight.  He never disrespected him.  No macho stuff.

The fight started and MMH never "attacked" his "buddy" SRL.  SRL stole the fight by grabbing and clutching and throwing powder puff flurries to steal rounds.

Sugar Ray Leonard "won" the fight.

My point, finally:  The Chiefs stole a win over the Chargers in similar fashion.  Unlike SRL its not a "steal one and run" scenario.  The Chiefs can clutch and grab and steal wins only so much.

They have won games.  Can they "brutalize" teams like MMH beat Tommy Hearns?

No they can't

I remember being crushed after that fight. I was convinced Marvin would demolish Ray. I loved Hagler.

That Hagler/Hearns fight was one for the ages.

I wouldn't call what KC did to SD fluff. They pounded it down their throat. Scored a 12th round KO. SD couldn't beat the count.

"They have won games. Can they "brutalize" teams like MMH beat Tommy Hearns?"

FFS, ask Belichik whether they can - how soon we forget. Lame grasping-at-straws attempt to downplay a win and pretend this team hasn't gotten stronger.

"They have won games. Can they "brutalize" teams like MMH beat Tommy Hearns?"

FFS, ask Belichik whether they can - how soon we forget. Lame grasping-at-straws attempt to downplay a win and pretend this team hasn't gotten stronger.

I suppose you are right.  Too much booze yesterday.

A million years ago, the boxing world craved for a match-up between Sugar Ray Leonard and Marvelous Marvin Hagler.  It was the marquee match up of the ages.  By the time it finally happened, SRL was at the end of his career.  He was coming off of ocular surgery.  He was looking to cash in.

Hagler was coming off of one of the most brutal fights in boxing history.  He and Thomas "Hit Man" Hearns brutalized each other for a mere 2 rounds of boxing bliss.  MMH WAS the dude.  Still, he never got his respect.  

Sugar Ray was the media's dude.  The world loved SRL.  He was an Olympic champ.  He was pretty.  He was eloquent. But his better days were behind him.

When SRL vs MMH happened the world expected a butchering.  Yet.. 

MMH had a hard-on for SRL.  The champion gets to dictate the terms of the fight.  Yet MMH gave in to lighter gloves at SRL's demand -- to SRL's advantage.  MMH gave in to 12 rounds versus 15 at SRL's demand.

SRL "best-buddied" MMH leading into the fight.  He never disrespected him.  No macho stuff.

The fight started and MMH never "attacked" his "buddy" SRL.  SRL stole the fight by grabbing and clutching and throwing powder puff flurries to steal rounds.

Sugar Ray Leonard "won" the fight.

My point, finally:  The Chiefs stole a win over the Chargers in similar fashion.  Unlike SRL its not a "steal one and run" scenario.  The Chiefs can clutch and grab and steal wins only so much.

They have won games.  Can they "brutalize" teams like MMH beat Tommy Hearns?

No they can't

The word "reach" normally only comes out of hibernation during the draft, but Mongo, that analogy was a "reach"...

The word "reach" normally only comes out of hibernation during the draft, but Mongo, that analogy was a "reach"...

Yep.  The Chiefs appear to be better than I thought this season.  Still they aren't good enough.  I'm getting tired of settling for second or third best and vented.

Archived