Jerick McKinnon

ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports

Jerick McKinnon remains available to any, every team

Mike Florio
Sat, April 8, 2023 at 8:49 AM CDT

When a player tweets a comment without context, the usual response is to apply common sense to provide meaning.

So when free-agent running back Jerick McKinnon says on the social-media platform that recently has supplanted bird outline with Dogecoin logo, “The disrespect is crazy,” the initial reaction becomes to tie it to the fact that, nearly four weeks into free agency, he has no NFL team.

The lack of an acceptable contract offer isn’t anything personal against McKinnon, who has been a key piece of the broader offensive puzzle in Kansas City during the 2021 and 2022 seasons. It’s a reflection of the broader market for veteran running backs.

McKinnon’s resurgence started in the 2021 playoffs, with 315 yards from scrimmage in three postseason games. Last year, McKinnon had 803 yards from scrimmage and 10 total touchdowns in the regular season. His nine receiving touchdowns in 2022 set a single-season record for running backs, breaking the three-way tie of eight previously held by Marshall Faulk (2001), Chuck Foreman (1975), and Leroy Hoard (1991).

That obviously means little to teams looking for running backs in an era where supply far outweighs demand, and where a fresh crop of young, cheap, and healthy options enter the league every April. That’s why Austin Ekeler can’t get the Chargers to pay him more than $6.25 million per year. It’s also why no other team was willing to trade for him and, in turn, give him the contract he wants.

And it’s why McKinnon and others remains available to anyone and to everyone.

While McKinnon’s current frustrations are understandable (if that was indeed the impetus for his tweet), he’s one of the few players in recent years to defy the ongoing trend away from giving big money to running backs. When he finished his rookie contract with the Vikings, the 49ers signed McKinnon to a four-year, $30 million contract, with $11.75 million fully guaranteed at signing.

McKinnon suffered a torn ACL just before the start of his first season in San Francisco, and he missed two straight years due to the injury and its aftermath. He eventually played 16 regular-season games for the 49ers in 2020, with 572 yards from scrimmage.

The Chiefs came calling in 2021, giving McKinnon a chance to prove he still can perform at a high level. But with his 31st birthday looming and the injury history that derailed his career just as it would have been entering his prime, he’ll likely keep waiting, along with the likes of Ezekiel *** I enjoy butt stuff ***, Leonard Fournette, Kareem Hunt, J.D. McKissic, Mark Ingram, and more.

If we're going to sign any more FAs, I want Jet back. Give him a 2 year deal with incentives and have him keep showing the youngins how to be a pro.

I doubt CEH will be back, and if that's the case, that'll add at least one more rookie back in there. 

Other factor will be coaching... no Greg Lewis and no EB. Will be interesting to see how/if RB usage will change under Nagy.

He didn't sign last year till June.  Would love to have the guy back but maybe they are going to give Pacheco a bigger role in the passing game and draft a guy to back him up. As much as i love Jet he probably isnt going to get much more than what KC gave him last year with his age and injury history  A yr deal at a little over a mill.  

3 hours ago, Boone said:

If we're going to sign any more FAs, I want Jet back. Give him a 2 year deal with incentives and have him keep showing the youngins how to be a pro.

I doubt CEH will be back, and if that's the case, that'll add at least one more rookie back in there. 

Other factor will be coaching... no Greg Lewis and no EB. Will be interesting to see how/if RB usage will change under Nagy.

I'm thinking we will see more emphasis on running backs similar to how Nagy planned offenses during the Alex Smith years with Nagy as OC.

4 hours ago, sith13 said:

I'm guessing he's waiting for a relatively bigger multi-year deal but wouldn't mind giving him a 2-3 million average over a couple years and let CEH leave for whatever we can get in a trade. 

Why give McKinnon more than a one year deal similar to last season?  That's what the market says he's worth.  And I doubt CEH has much trade value.  Keep him as a backup who's playing for a FA deal next year and let him compete with a late round draft pick.  Don't waste draft capital or cap space on a RB.  Expect the Chiefs to use a day three pick to fill the RB room. 

19 hours ago, jetlord said:

Why give McKinnon more than a one year deal similar to last season?  That's what the market says he's worth.  And I doubt CEH has much trade value.  Keep him as a backup who's playing for a FA deal next year and let him compete with a late round draft pick.  Don't waste draft capital or cap space on a RB.  Expect the Chiefs to use a day three pick to fill the RB room. 

If he agrees to it I don't mind the 1-year deal but also if he's looking to go elsewhere for slightly less for that assurance I wouldn't mind giving him that. With somewhat of an established backfield I think we can benefit from playing the numbers game on the trenches during the draft. 

he signed for $1.3- last year and the way things are looking for FA RB's that is about what he should expect  to play for this year IF he wants to play at all. Minimum for a 9 years vet is $1.48M so IF the Chiefs made an offer it had to be at least that. It makes no sense for his agent to think he'd bring more than that  the FA RB market being what it is

3 minutes ago, NCK Chiefs Fan said:

I just hope they bring him back.  He is a hell of a blocker for Patrick, has good hands for a pass receiving running back, and makes a good tandem with Pacheco.   

yea I cant think of how bringing him back is not a good thing unless he just has some unreal idea of his worth. He knows the Offense, he's a value added member of the team. So unless the Chiefs get themselves in such a bind they cant afford the $1.5M or he signed with another team. I'm of the mindset he'll be on the team by Training Camp.

There are just to many unsigned RBs out there right now to worry about it. 

46 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

We keep playing these games eventually it will bite us in the butt. 

What game are they playing?  McKinnon probably knows he can come back to the Chiefs.  At age 31, he wants a final payday.  So far, it hasn't been offered to him and he's disappointed, but the market for 31 y.o. RBs isn't booming and he'll have to settle for market value.  If he gets a better deal than the Chiefs offer, then they will have to find someone else.  Finding another RB shouldn't be that hard.  

14 hours ago, jetlord said:

What game are they playing?  McKinnon probably knows he can come back to the Chiefs.  At age 31, he wants a final payday.  So far, it hasn't been offered to him and he's disappointed, but the market for 31 y.o. RBs isn't booming and he'll have to settle for market value.  If he gets a better deal than the Chiefs offer, then they will have to find someone else.  Finding another RB shouldn't be that hard.  

https://predominantlyorange.com/posts/frustrated-ex-chiefs-running-back-look-great-denver-broncos

😒

44 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

Broncos are making moves, Chiefs are betting on Veach.  While he’s been right so far, how much of this is luck?

you know the ol saying ..I'd rather be lucky than good but since soo much of  the talent acquisition game is a game of chance I'd say it's due diligence +luck. I think Veach is a hell of a poker player but even the best poker player does not win all the hands.

The Donks are a mess JMcK aint the difference maker. I think the new HC will be a big help but still no better than 3rd place unless the Bolts and or Chiefs are riddled with injury

52 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

Broncos are making moves, Chiefs are betting on Veach.  While he’s been right so far, how much of this is luck?

The point is that McKinnon isn't indispensable to the Chiefs.  He is effective in his role as a pass rush blocker and pass target but he's limited as a running back.  Also, his age is against him and his injury history limits him to a situational back.  Why pay him more than the market says he's worth.  If the Donks want to pay more, than that's the way the market works, but I'd still bet on him returning to the Chiefs.  

41 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

I don't think they are betting on Veach as much as they are betting on Andy and Pat to do what they normally do and that's Andy using a players strength and putting them into positions to be successful then Pat doing v what he normally does and finding the open guys and creating magic..  Their is a certain amount of luck involved with it and that goes into it for every team not just KC. 

I like Mckinion and hope they bring him back but if they don't they dont.  He is soon to be 31 and coming off what might his best year.  Its better to walk away from a player a year to early than a year to late. With his age and injury history they maybe are thinking the same.   

2 minutes ago, West said:

Actually, the Chiefs are betting on Mahomes, Jones, Kelce and that O-Line....

Veach is attacking the holes with the free agent signings. 

I am very curious about the draft- KC can go in almost any direction....

w

Last year there were six holes to fill.  This go around, there are four.  OT, DE, WR, and DT.  Beyond that is drafting for depth and future.  I can see Veach double dipping at one or two of the need areas and signing some after draft and post 6/1 FAs.  This team is in better shape this season than it was last year.  JHMO