Jerick McKinnon

5 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

Realize its different regime and QB and all but hearing that he said that makes me think of when Whitlock went all in and predicted the perfect season somewhere in the 90s.  If i remember right that season didn't turn out very good.  

But....the Chiefs had Chester McGlockton!!!  How could they NOT go undefeated??? 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️🤣🤣

On 4/21/2023 at 11:59 PM, Fmbl2187 said:

Every team's fanbases get jazzed and convinced at this time of year right before the draft they are going to be fantastic, that a new age of dominance for them is about to begin. Why, I don't know, but the draft season and free agency, and the way it is covered in the media seems to make this true every year. Not to rain on any parades or anything.

All that hope and hype and then the team comes up with a Joswiak, Baldwin, and Brad Budde.  Maybe ten teams have realistic hope and all the rest are awaiting a shot at the next Mahomes, Elway, Manning, etc.  

Chiefs Wire

Chiefs expected to re-sign RB Jerick McKinnon

Charles Goldman
Mon, May 1, 2023 at 1:21 PM CDT

The Kansas City Chiefs are set to re-sign one of their key players who remained a free agent.

According to a report from NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport, the Chiefs are expected to re-sign free agent RB Jerick McKinnon. This comes shortly after GM Brett Veach provided an update on the topic during his post-draft press conference.

“Obviously, we had a long-standing relationship with Jerick (McKinnon),” Veach said. “We’ve had communication, so I wouldn’t be surprised if something got done with him soon.”

NFL Media’s James Palmer adds that McKinnon will be re-signing with the team on Tuesday.

McKinnon is coming off of an impressive 2022 campaign with Kansas City, where he posted 803 scrimmage yards and 10 total touchdowns on offense. He also happened to be the team’s best pass-blocking back and played a key role in protecting star QB Patrick Mahomes.

With the Chiefs not doing much with the running back position in the 2023 NFL draft, it makes a ton of sense to bring McKinnon back. Isiah Pacheco will be expected to take a step forward. Clyde Edwards-Helaire will hopefully be able to stay healthy and the team will also have a new addition in UDFA RB Deneric Prince, who could compete for a roster spot at the running back position.

1 hour ago, azchief21 said:

Veach was smart here. He was obviously looking to upgrade the RB position in the draft. When it didn't fall the way he wanted value wise, he's quickly trying to get Jet signed. Good move, we need him at this point. 

Was it obvious?  Not trying to be a dick, but I never read anything about wanting to upgrade RB in the draft.  But I'm glad that he's bringing Jet back.

15 minutes ago, Joe_Chief said:

Was it obvious?  Not trying to be a dick, but I never read anything about wanting to upgrade RB in the draft.  But I'm glad that he's bringing Jet back.

I read nothing about RB other than maybe Gibbs if he fell to 31. I am sure there were others that could have been picked too. Pacheco was a 7th rounder after all. 

10 minutes ago, Joe_Chief said:

I guess the reason why I said that was Veach said he was waiting till after the draft to decide on McKinnon. I'd think if you really wanted him regardless of the draft, you would sign him before and not worry about losing him to someone else. I think if one of the two earlier drafted RBs would dropped there might have been a play.  I'm also glad he resigned Jet. We'd be in a little trouble without him.  

38 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

I guess the reason why I said that was Veach said he was waiting till after the draft to decide on McKinnon. I'd think if you really wanted him regardless of the draft, you would sign him before and not worry about losing him to someone else. I think if one of the two earlier drafted RBs would dropped there might have been a play.  I'm also glad he resigned Jet. We'd be in a little trouble without him.  

The reason you wait til after the draft is FA's stop counting towards the compensatory pick formula tomorrow.

When Veach says they have a great relationship with Jet, read between the lines and he and kc had a deal to wait until after the draft to sign for just that reason.

1 hour ago, azchief21 said:

or, he could allow Jet time for the market to extend an offer to him, knowing if it didn't happen, they'd be in a better bargaining position.

59 minutes ago, mex said:

or, he could allow Jet time for the market to extend an offer to him, knowing if it didn't happen, they'd be in a better bargaining position.

It could also be that there might have been an RB in the late rounds that they had their eye on, but he was gone by the time the Chiefs were up.  Probably all three reasons.  I'm certain that McKinnon and the Chiefs are very pleased to be back together. I know Mahomes must be relieved.

8 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

I cannot understand why he doesn’t get attention. He blocks like a boss, team player, can catch, can run with a burst, and can give up the goods on the Chiefs secrets.

He's considered old for a RB and has a history of limited use due to injuries.  He's been very good for the Chiefs, but isn't what most teams look for in a new RB. 

Chiefs re-signed RB Jerick McKinnon.

Terms have not yet officially been disclosed. This had been rumored for some time and it was obvious McKinnon would re-sign if the draft came and went without a new addition at the position. McKinnon will likely function as the passing downs back again behind Isiah Pacheco. He rode heavy touchdown production at that position to a RB2 finish in PPR leagues last year, and while it would be a mistake to expect 10 touchdowns again in 2023, he will be a worthy mid-round selection in drafts again this year. 

1 minute ago, arrowhead said:

Chiefs re-signed RB Jerick McKinnon.

Terms have not yet officially been disclosed. This had been rumored for some time and it was obvious McKinnon would re-sign if the draft came and went without a new addition at the position. McKinnon will likely function as the passing downs back again behind Isiah Pacheco. He rode heavy touchdown production at that position to a RB2 finish in PPR leagues last year, and while it would be a mistake to expect 10 touchdowns again in 2023, he will be a worthy mid-round selection in drafts again this year. 

I don't think it'll be a mistake to expect 10 TDs again next year...Mahomes will find him plenty of times. 

4 hours ago, West said:

Jet is smart and experienced....The "kneel down" at the goal line in the SB was perfect.

He is a great blocker and "understands" the Mahomes Improvisation Offense as well as Kelce.

w

That was brilliant.  I was really impressed by that decision.  It takes a lot of discipline and knowledge to do that.  The Eagles players around him went ballistic and blew their stacks. That was the best part.  I had to laugh. I recall those players were yelling at the ref to call some sort of penalty.  Awww.  Poor things  😂

20 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

That was brilliant.  I was really impressed by that decision.  It takes a lot of discipline and knowledge to do that.  The Eagles players around him went ballistic and blew their stacks. That was the best part.  I had to laugh. I recall those players were yelling at the ref to call some sort of penalty.  Awww.  Poor things  😂

It wasn't his decision... they told him not to score. The moment we got the 1st down after the penalty, EB told the offense they were running it three straight times to burn clock. Patrick reminded everyone in the huddle as well. DON'T FUMBLE DON'T SCORE. Then after he handed it off he was yelling "get down get down!"

But McKinnon is definitely a smart player and damned good in pass pro.

1 hour ago, mex said:

It wasn't his decision... they told him not to score. The moment we got the 1st down after the penalty, EB told the offense they were running it three straight times to burn clock. Patrick reminded everyone in the huddle as well. DON'T FUMBLE DON'T SCORE. Then after he handed it off he was yelling "get down get down!"

But McKinnon is definitely a smart player and damned good in pass pro.

Well, I was wrong.  Actually, he is a dumbshit. :lol: