Crow's 2023 "What I Want" Mock

kccrow

Preface

I didn't like my first rendition so you're getting an edit here in 2023. I felt like the dudes I was pumping all offseason weren't in it in favor of some guys I like and provide explosion but don't make me as happy. Here it is, reworked, and hope you enjoy it. I think you'll remain happy with the explosive elements on offense while catering better to all levels of the defense.

The Draft

1-031 | WR JALIN HYATT, Tennessee (6001, 176)
Hyatt is an explosive playmaker reminiscent of DeSean Jackson. Hyatt's instant acceleration and deep speed create difficulties for man coverage assignments and he has enough agility to create against zone. Quick slants, crossers, seam routes, posts, screens, and end-arounds are going to be problematic for defenses to cover and he has the ability to make you pay dearly for a single miscue.

2-053 | DT KEEANU BENTON, Wisconsin (6'4" 309)
trade CHI 2-63, 4-134, 2024 4th for 2-53
Benton has been my dude since the start of this thing so for me to not have him in here has been bothering me. With the consensus that Hyatt could just be there at 31, I'm going to spend my draft capital to move up and snag Benton. Benton is explosive and powerful at the point with a stout big-man frame that makes it difficult for one-on-ones to beat him. He has plenty of juice to upset the passing game and has value to rotate to 3-tech as well. He'll need to work a bit on holding the fort against double teams though.

3-095 | OT BLAKE FREELAND, Brigham Young (6077, 302)
I'm in a state of constant indecision when it comes to Freeland as he's ostensibly a starting NFL tackle. That said, he has some issues that are hard to reconcile. His height and inability to bring his pad level down cause lunging and reaching issues that may not be correctable. His hand placement to create leverage and overall anchor strength are things he can work on but are current problems against NFL-caliber power rushers. His feet and overall athleticism are what make him most appealing, in a similar mold to Spencer Brown, which is why I think he goes in a similar range to the former 93rd overall pick. In the end, I think KC needs to take a solid shot at a developmental tackle because we don't know how well Taylor will perform at LT and we don't know if Niang can hold up to the rigors of a full NFL season.

4-122 | CB REZJOHN WRIGHT, Oregon State (6'2" 193)
Wright is a physical press corner with good recovery speed and excellent transitional footwork. I like his ability to mirror routes and stay in phase with the receiving, including sharp snaps off of breaks which helps define his footwork and agility which is pretty difficult for a guy with his height. He definitely needs to work on being so grabby throughout the route as it would draw a lot of holding penalties in the NFL. I like his tackling well enough but more aggressiveness at times would be a cherry on top. He's shown good ball skills with 4 interceptions and 17 pass breakups spread equally over the past two seasons.

5-166 | RB SEAN TUCKER, Syracuse (5'9" 207)
Tucker is a good runner between the tackles and a good receiver out of the backfield in the mold of a young Shady McCoy. He has enough speed to reach the corner on outside zone and to take one the distance but we'll have to see where that speed is as I think he's a 4.50 guy but he shows to be a high 4.3 guy on social media. I think Reid is going to be high on this cat. I'm not sure of the reasoning for him being medically red-flagged at the combine but he's finally been cleared and is set to host a pro day on April 24th. If he runs as high as he is showing on social media, he could go much higher but I still think teams will be wary of whatever it was that got him flagged to begin with. I'm taking a poke here on what I feel is one of the top 5 running backs in this class. He's going to have to learn to pass block though at a much higher level.

6-178 | DE TAVIUS ROBINSON, Ole Miss (6061, 257)
Solid player in all facets but a master of none that needs continued development in his pass rush plan and hand usage, playing more on the edge in 5/6/7 versus the 4i alignment he often held at Ole Miss, and gaining anchor strength and mass against the run. Robinson does sport a decent-to-good snap release, quality bend, and outstanding length to be a quality developmental player in Spags' scheme.

6-217 | DT DANTE STILLS, West Virginia (6034 286)
Stills is a rotational one-gap penetrator that can make the lives of QBs and RBs miserable, as evidenced by 23.5 career sacks and 52.5 tackles for a loss. He doesn't have great length so he'll need to work harder on developing his strength in the NFL and adding some mass. That said, he's a guy that can step in and create havoc in a role the Chiefs hoped Wharton would stand out in. This was a tough choice over Jacob Slade (Michigan State) but the difference between them is about 1/2" in height, 7 lbs, and 3/8" in arm length to Slade's advantage. Stills was just far more of a disruptive player but has less anchor against the run.

7-249 | DB QUINDELL JOHNSON, Memphis (6'1" 195)
Johnson is a 3-time All-ACC defensive back that has shown the ability to line up pretty much anywhere for any task and he's been good at them all. He's a good tackler and makes plays on the football, evidenced by 320 career tackles, including 104 in 2021, and 10 career interceptions (4 in 2022). He's a field multiple guy that can play box, nickel, and single-high. While he's a bit linear as an athlete, he can close on the ball extremely well and isn't afraid to attack downhill. He could easily go much higher than I have him here but I'm largely going off consensus projections.

7-250 | LB BUMPER POOL, Arkansas (6'2" 237)
A rangy linebacker with solid play as a zone defender in coverage. Fits as an ILB or WILL in the NFL. Is a definite thumper. He hits like a Mack truck, throwing every little bit of his lighter frame into every hit. Passionate. Was an absolute dawg with 400 tackles the past 4 years in the SEC, which is definitely saying something. Had hip labrum surgery after 11 games this year so hasn't been on the radar in the draft process and it could push him to UDFA status but with a bunch of picks and a couple of late-rounders, I'd fully take the chance on the kid. Hell, this kid could just as well go in the 4th round if a team feels great about his medicals for 2023. We'll see.

Predicted 53-Man Roster

QB P. Mahomes II, S. Buechele (I think they'll add a vet option here after the draft)
RB I. Pacheco, S. Tucker, C. Edwards-Helaire
WR K. Toney, M. Valdez-Scantling, J. Hyatt, S. Moore, R. James, J. Ross
TE T. Kelce, Gray, J. Fortson, B. Bell
OT J. Taylor, L. Niang, B. Freeland, P. Tega-Wanogho, D. Kinnard
IL J. Thuney, C. Humphrey, T. Smith, N. Allegretti

DE G. Karlaftis, C. Omenihu, M. Danna, T. Robinson, M. Herring
DT C. Jones, K. Benton, D. Nnadi, D. Stills, T. Wharton
LB N. Bolton, D. Tranquill, L. Chenal, W. Gay, B. Pool
CB L. Sneed, T. McDuffie, J. Watson, R. Wright, J. Williams, N. Johnson
DB J. Reid, M. Edwards, B. Cook, D. Bush, Q. Johnson

ST H. Butker, T. Townsend, J. Winchester

I live in the Nashville area  I watched a lot of Tennessee football. I absolutely would not draft Jalin Hyatt at #31 much less trade assets and move up to get him. Why? Several reasons. One-he is very thin. Not built like Tyreek.Durability concerns are justified. Two-he has an extremely limited route tree. If you just want a guy who runs down the field fast ...he's your guy.Three-prior to this past year he showed very little. In 2020/2021 he averaged about 250 yards and 2 TDs. Yes he blew up last year and that may mean something. But even then ... truthfully many of his big play TDs were off blown coverages where he was wide open. Too many questions for me. 

31 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I live in the Nashville area  I watched a lot of Tennessee football. I absolutely would not draft Jalin Hyatt at #31 much less trade assets and move up to get him. Why? Several reasons. One-he is very thin. Not built like Tyreek.Durability concerns are justified. Two-he has an extremely limited route tree. If you just want a guy who runs down the field fast ...he's your guy.Three-prior to this past year he showed very little. In 2020/2021 he averaged about 250 yards and 2 TDs. Yes he blew up last year and that may mean something. But even then ... truthfully many of his big play TDs were off blown coverages where he was wide open. Too many questions for me. 

being MIZZOU games where limited we did seem to get a bunch of T games. I agree 100%

Crow, I would be happy with this haul.  Adding some speed and explosion to this offense is sorely needed, regardless of what fand think.  Line depth on both sides.  Like the OT in 3rd as well.

Not sure you'd have to trade up in first but I'm ok with that.

I love Achane.  I seem to always find a way to get him in the mix.

Add in Andrei Iosivas late and I'll sign right up.

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

Most receivers coming out have limited trees in college.  There are very few guys playing in a pro style system.  Also a ton of guys with only 1-2 years of production.  

Yes he is not tyreek.  Who is.  But he's a much better deep ball tracker and deep separator than most.  The tools are there he just needs some development.  In the meantime stick him in the slot, let him stretch the defense vertically, and have him run some gadgets.  

If it makes y'all feel better pretend crow has him at 31.

19 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

altho there are others like an LTOTF I'd much rather see at 31 or for a trade up I'd not be surprised if that happened..but please no trade up

I think Veach feels like he has found his LT.  You don't pay a guy that much without feeling like you found the guy.  I think if we want a tackle we're probably looking at the 2nd and third tiers so why not grab a toolsy guy like Freeland?  Frankly he could be as good in pass pro as any tackle in this class if you get him in a pro weight room and feed him a few sammiches.

25 minutes ago, xen said:

I think Veach feels like he has found his LT.  You don't pay a guy that much without feeling like you found the guy.  I think if we want a tackle we're probably looking at the 2nd and third tiers so why not grab a toolsy guy like Freeland?  Frankly he could be as good in pass pro as any tackle in this class if you get him in a pro weight room and feed him a few sammiches.

your probably right but this RT to LT thing. My gut says he may of gone to that Well too many times. Reminds me of Gunther  and his big Safeties and trying to make CBs out of them..yea it might work but the odds are against it.

In Veach I trust but  it aint the way I'd of done it as we have a $.5Bil QB back there

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

your probably right but this RT to LT thing. My gut says he may of gone to that Well too many times. Reminds me of Gunther  and his big Safeties and trying to make CBs out of them..yea it might work but the odds are against it.

In Veach I trust but  it aint the way I'd of done it as we have a $.5Bil QB back there

So would you have traded 2 firsts to get high up in the draft for one, or gone with a lesser talent in FA, or count on a rookie there who has some deficiencies.

Those were likely the other choices.

2 hours ago, xen said:

I actually like the pick of Freeland....a lot. 

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

your probably right but this RT to LT thing. My gut says he may of gone to that Well too many times.

This is exactly my sentiment. Lets get our LTOTF and protect Mahomes (the entire franchise) for the foreseeable future.

Then use the remaining picks to fill needs. If they go WR before Edge, it won't break my heart. If they go BPA for every pick after that, so be it.

But if we wait until the late 3rd rd for an OT, we're reaching. JMHO

4 hours ago, xen said:

So would you have traded 2 firsts to get high up in the draft for one, or gone with a lesser talent in FA, or count on a rookie there who has some deficiencies.

Those were likely the other choices.

being that those picks are  in the 28 on up..yea I would certainly consider it . Yes Yes I would highly consider it for the next possible Willie Roaf/Orlando Pace/Art Shell type

4 hours ago, xen said:

I think Veach feels like he has found his LT.

He's young... and serviceable. I'm with OT though... I hate that we keep plugging in RTs. Hopefully it works, but 60 million guaranteed (15 per year) is a metric fuck ton on money. 

Best way to stay competitive in this league is to draft for the long term and use the savings from rookie contracts to plug temporary holes in FA. Winning is awesome... but always drafting late blows donkey dicks.

5 hours ago, mex said:

This is exactly my sentiment. Lets get our LTOTF and protect Mahomes (the entire franchise) for the foreseeable future.

Then use the remaining picks to fill needs. If they go WR before Edge, it won't break my heart. If they go BPA for every pick after that, so be it.

But if we wait until the late 3rd rd for an OT, we're reaching. JMHO

Sums up my thoughts on it. Of course every draft pick is a gamble. But going after a true and experienced LT seems right to me.

7 hours ago, oldtimer said:

being that those picks are  in the 28 on up..yea I would certainly consider it . Yes Yes I would highly consider it for the next possible Willie Roaf/Orlando Pace/Art Shell type

Fair enough.  I just think this OT class is too deep and we're not that desperate.

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Can't imagine that the Chiefs have Hyatt listed as first round material.  Seems they're interested in Q. Johnson.  

I agree but who knows where he goes.  He could go really high or drop in our lap.  If he gets in range i'ma be excited.

On 4/12/2023 at 4:46 PM, jetlord said:

Can't imagine that the Chiefs have Hyatt listed as first round material.  Seems they're interested in Q. Johnson.  

I love Quentin Johnston. Unfortunately, he is WR1 on a lot of draft sites. Even if the Chiefs moved up 10 spots he's likely not gonna be there. I think this draft has a lot of receivers with skills that can translate....Scott, Rice, Mingo, Wilson , Perry, Mims.

12 hours ago, dhitter said:

I love Quentin Johnston. Unfortunately, he is WR1 on a lot of draft sites. Even if the Chiefs moved up 10 spots he's likely not gonna be there. I think this draft has a lot of receivers with skills that can translate....Scott, Rice, Mingo, Wilson , Perry, Mims.

maybe

https://nypost.com/2023/04/15/nfl-withholds-draft-invite-from-tcus-quentin-johnston-to-avoid-awkward-tv-moment/

There will only be three wide receivers present at the NFL Draft in a couple of weeks, but that trio will not include Quentin Johnston.

The TCU standout is expected to be a first-round selection, but he still was not granted an invite from the league to the draft in Kansas City later this month.

Experts believe Johnston will likely be a late selection within the first 31 picks (the Miami Dolphins were docked their first-round pick).

However, it’s certainly a possibility that a first-round talent could fall later than expected on the first night, or even worse — into the second round.

That was the case previously with players like Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, Brady Quinn and Lamar Jackson.

Those moments certainly made for awkward television, and the league wants to avoid that at all costs.

According to CBS Sports, the league believes Johnston will be selected in the “20-28” range, but just in case he’s not, the NFL opted not to risk having egg on its face.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

According to CBS Sports, the league believes Johnston will be selected in the “20-28” range, but just in case he’s not, the NFL opted not to risk having egg on its face.

That's GOT to be nerve-wracking. 

2 minutes ago, mex said:

That's GOT to be nerve-wracking. 

yea waiting for that call that never comes and have your face on NTL TV with Parents et al would suck

like what happened with Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, Brady Quinn and Lamar Jackson.

15 hours ago, dhitter said:

Why do the Chiefs need to move up for any WR?  It's not a premium position on the level with DE or OT and there's plenty of options on day two if the guy they want doesn't fall to them.  In no circumstances should they give up a top 100 pick to move up except for an OT that they think can start.  There's also the possibility that they could end up with another Johnathon Baldwin.  I would take Tillman, Perry, Rice, Mingo, etc. in the second and get the OT, DE, or even DT at #31.  RGR agrees with me that there's one or possibly two WRs in this year's draft worthy of first round status.  WR is a splashy pick, but give Mahomes an elite O-line and the Chiefs will score 30+ most games with what they've got plus a day two pick.  JMHO