Crow's 2023 "What I Want" Mock

kccrow

8 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Why do the Chiefs need to move up for any WR?  It's not a premium position on the level with DE or OT and there's plenty of options on day two if the guy they want doesn't fall to them.  In no circumstances should they give up a top 100 pick to move up except for an OT that they think can start.  There's also the possibility that they could end up with another Johnathon Baldwin.  I would take Tillman, Perry, Rice, Mingo, etc. in the second and get the OT, DE, or even DT at #31.  RGR agrees with me that there's one or possibly two WRs in this year's draft worthy of first round status.  WR is a splashy pick, but give Mahomes an elite O-line and the Chiefs will score 30+ most games with what they've got plus a day two pick.  JMHO

We could end up with bust at DE, DT and even OT. Top 5 picks did not work out for us with Dorsey, Jackson etc. WR is a premium position when you have a great QB. It is a waste if you don't utilize all the offense really, but one thing we do is throw the ball. 

9 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

We could end up with bust at DE, DT and even OT. Top 5 picks did not work out for us with Dorsey, Jackson etc. WR is a premium position when you have a great QB. It is a waste if you don't utilize all the offense really, but one thing we do is throw the ball. 

Apples to Oranges.. Different GM

44 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Apples to Oranges.. Different GM

True but this gm has done well with back of the round talent. Why if he wants to go for a WR, I am fine with it. My point also was the fact he pointed out the Baldwin example, which can go both ways and Baldwin was a different GM too.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

yea waiting for that call that never comes and have your face on NTL TV with Parents et al would suck

like what happened with Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, Brady Quinn and Lamar Jackson.

At least Rodgers and Rothlisberger got the last laugh.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

WR is a premium position when you have a great QB. It is a waste if you don't utilize all the offense really, but one thing we do is throw the ball. 

The Chiefs proved last season that they could score 30/game without an elite receiver.  Any they draft this year will probably get no more targets than Moore did last year.  They also proved they need upgrades at OT.  How much would the offense be if Mahomes had more time and the receivers and TEs didn't have to chip so much?  But my main objection to WR in the first is that the chances to find a player there is the second or third is better than finding a starting OT later.  If the top five OTs are gone before the Chiefs have a shot at them and the D linemen aren't value picks at #31, then I have no problem with taking a WR they have their eyes on.  Trading up for one is pointless.  To get to 20, the Chiefs would have to give up their second.  Their third would get them to around 25 and their fourth to about 29 IIRC.  

18 hours ago, jetlord said:

Why do the Chiefs need to move up for any WR?  It's not a premium position on the level with DE or OT and there's plenty of options on day two if the guy they want doesn't fall to them.  In no circumstances should they give up a top 100 pick to move up except for an OT that they think can start.  There's also the possibility that they could end up with another Johnathon Baldwin.  I would take Tillman, Perry, Rice, Mingo, etc. in the second and get the OT, DE, or even DT at #31.  RGR agrees with me that there's one or possibly two WRs in this year's draft worthy of first round status.  WR is a splashy pick, but give Mahomes an elite O-line and the Chiefs will score 30+ most games with what they've got plus a day two pick.  JMHO

Well I'm not saying they should. A lot of folks like his skill set...me included. I was pointing out that he likely will get picked early. My personal preference in round 1 is an OT. But that's me.

57 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Well I'm not saying they should. A lot of folks like his skill set...me included. I was pointing out that he likely will get picked early. My personal preference in round 1 is an OT. But that's me.

and me

22 hours ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs proved last season that they could score 30/game without an elite receiver.  Any they draft this year will probably get no more targets than Moore did last year.  They also proved they need upgrades at OT.  How much would the offense be if Mahomes had more time and the receivers and TEs didn't have to chip so much?  But my main objection to WR in the first is that the chances to find a player there is the second or third is better than finding a starting OT later.  If the top five OTs are gone before the Chiefs have a shot at them and the D linemen aren't value picks at #31, then I have no problem with taking a WR they have their eyes on.  Trading up for one is pointless.  To get to 20, the Chiefs would have to give up their second.  Their third would get them to around 25 and their fourth to about 29 IIRC.  

Well one could flip this and say they scored 30 points and won the sb without elite tackles too. I mean if Taylor does stay at LT and they really like Niang, they may feel their tackles are much better. Still if we could get a stud LT type and Taylor at RT, we would be set on the line for sure. There was a projected trade with TB and we got Paris in this mock at 19. No idea on what that would take to get to 19 though.

PARIS JOHNSON JR.
OT Ohio State
Kansas City Chiefs

Projected Trade with Tampa Bay

This would be an incredible move for Kansas City to make. While two tackles are off the board, Paris Johnson Jr. is arguably the most “NFL ready” tackle in the class. While Kansas City has said publicly that Jawaan Taylor is going to switch to left tackle, the addition of Paris Johnson Jr. would probably change that sentiment. On an offensive line that is extremely expensive, having 5 seasons of cost-controlled production would be invaluable. If the Chiefs invest in their bookends for the long term, they will have continued offensive success for the foreseeable future. Johnson has good length, power, and footwork. It would not be surprising if he was the best overall tackle in this class.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2023/04/16/first-round-mock-draft-2-0-chiefs-trade-up-make-bold-selection/5/

On 4/12/2023 at 6:44 AM, dhitter said:

I live in the Nashville area  I watched a lot of Tennessee football. I absolutely would not draft Jalin Hyatt at #31 much less trade assets and move up to get him. Why? Several reasons. One-he is very thin. Not built like Tyreek.Durability concerns are justified. Two-he has an extremely limited route tree. If you just want a guy who runs down the field fast ...he's your guy.Three-prior to this past year he showed very little. In 2020/2021 he averaged about 250 yards and 2 TDs. Yes he blew up last year and that may mean something. But even then ... truthfully many of his big play TDs were off blown coverages where he was wide open. Too many questions for me. 

Speed kills and he has it when the pads are on. He's virtually identical to Jameson Williams, who a large contingent of fans were screaming for KC to move up for last year. Same build. Same speed. Same collegiate trajectory. Could bust but could be insanely good in this offense. I understand the risk but the upside to potentially being Reid's new DeSean Jackson is what has me salivating.

3 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well one could flip this and say they scored 30 points and won the sb without elite tackles too. I mean if Taylor does stay at LT and they really like Niang, they may feel their tackles are much better. Still if we could get a stud LT type and Taylor at RT, we would be set on the line for sure. There was a projected trade with TB and we got Paris in this mock at 19. No idea on what that would take to get to 19 though.

PARIS JOHNSON JR.
OT Ohio State
Kansas City Chiefs

This would be an incredible move for Kansas City to make. While two tackles are off the board, Paris Johnson Jr. is arguably the most “NFL ready” tackle in the class. While Kansas City has said publicly that Jawaan Taylor is going to switch to left tackle, the addition of Paris Johnson Jr. would probably change that sentiment. On an offensive line that is extremely expensive, having 5 seasons of cost-controlled production would be invaluable. If the Chiefs invest in their bookends for the long term, they will have continued offensive success for the foreseeable future. Johnson has good length, power, and footwork. It would not be surprising if he was the best overall tackle in this class.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2023/04/16/first-round-mock-draft-2-0-chiefs-trade-up-make-bold-selection/5/

Paris Johnson is probably going to be a top 10 pick. He's undoubtedly going in the top 14.

On 4/12/2023 at 8:18 AM, xen said:

Crow, I would be happy with this haul.  Adding some speed and explosion to this offense is sorely needed, regardless of what fand think.  Line depth on both sides.  Like the OT in 3rd as well.

Not sure you'd have to trade up in first but I'm ok with that.

I love Achane.  I seem to always find a way to get him in the mix.

Add in Andrei Iosivas late and I'll sign right up.

That's where I'm at. I think we have enough underneath with Moore, James, Ross, and Toney to make alot of noise. MVS and Watson are too inconsistent for me. I'd like a guy that is more than that and will be a constant threat to blow the doors off.

I also want an athletic pass catcher at RB. I took Gibbs in round 1 in the CP mock draft and about had my nuts removed for it but he's the guy I'd 100% take if he and the Chiefs were sitting at 31. Electric. Man oh man... anyhow... I like Achane in the same way and I also really like Tucker and Spears. I wouldn't mind one of Valladay or Mitchell if it's late.

Speaking to the offensive tackle crowd, you can get RTs in the NFL outside of the 1st round with regularity.

Many come in the 3rd round

Spencer Brown (BUF)
Morgan Moses (BAL)
Chukwuma Okorafor (PIT)
Nicholas Petit-Frere (TEN)
Brandon Parker (LV)
Trey Pipkins (LAC)
Abraham Lucas (SEA)

or the end of 2

Brian O'Neill (MIN)
Taylor Moton (CAR)
Rob Havenstein (LAR)

And quite a few of those are winning teams traditionally.

We can still take a weapon at 31 that makes this offense more explosive and then get a RT. We don't have to key in on it at 31. Guys like Duncan, Bergeron, and Freeland have been on the Chiefs' radar and could be in play if they don't go OT in 1.

32 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I am hoping Darnell Wright somehow becomes a Chief. But I'm warming up to Harrison ...the kid from Oklahoma. 

If we pick up an OT early, it will be Harrison. The front office loves them some sooner linemen given the success of our draft history.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

PARIS JOHNSON JR.
OT Ohio State
Kansas City Chiefs

To get to #19 would take #31 and #63 according to the Trade Value Chart.  It's doubtful that either B. Jones or Johnson will last even that long.  Harrison would be my choice as a long term solution to the LT spot.  He's athletic and might just have to put on some strength, somewhat like Fisher in his early years.  A trade for him might not be necessary, but if the top four OTs are gone by, say, #25 then Veach could trade up for him using his third or possible a fourth and some later picks.  I'll be on the edge of my seat in the late 20s as long as Wright and/or Harrison are on the board.  

Saw this from a link I posted in nfl mock drafts. 

Chiefs:
ED Nolan Smith
T Jaelyn Duncan
S Jammie Robinson
WR Tyler Scott
HB Chase Brown
ED YaYa Diaby
TE Wil Mallory
CB Cameron Brown

ED Al Gaye

LB Mane Mapu

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Chiefs:
ED Nolan Smith
T Jaelyn Duncan
S Jammie Robinson
WR Tyler Scott
HB Chase Brown
ED YaYa Diaby
TE Wil Mallory
CB Cameron Brown

ED Al Gaye

LB Mane Mapu

Better get some help on the interior D line.  

On 4/18/2023 at 2:56 PM, kkuenn said:

Chiefs:
ED Nolan Smith
T Jaelyn Duncan
S Jammie Robinson
WR Tyler Scott
HB Chase Brown
ED YaYa Diaby
TE Wil Mallory
CB Cameron Brown

ED Al Gaye

LB Mane Mapu

What idiots think Nolan Smith even remotely fits Spags scheme? Because he doesn't even come close.

I'm assuming they have Tyler Scott in the 4th which is a crack pipe dream. There's a good chance he goes in the 2nd and if not then very high 3rd. 

eek.

13 hours ago, kccrow said:

What idiots think Nolan Smith even remotely fits Spags scheme? Because he doesn't even come close.

I'm assuming they have Tyler Scott in the 4th which is a crack pipe dream. There's a good chance he goes in the 2nd and if not then very high 3rd. 

eek.

Yea I'm not seeing this guy playing n Spags D either th?id=OIP.qM08J2_0uEraEcMbcBrTDwHaJ4&pid=Api&P=0

On 4/16/2023 at 12:02 PM, kccrow said:

Speaking to the offensive tackle crowd, you can get RTs in the NFL outside of the 1st round with regularity.

Many come in the 3rd round

Spencer Brown (BUF)
Morgan Moses (BAL)
Chukwuma Okorafor (PIT)
Nicholas Petit-Frere (TEN)
Brandon Parker (LV)
Trey Pipkins (LAC)
Abraham Lucas (SEA)

or the end of 2

Brian O'Neill (MIN)
Taylor Moton (CAR)
Rob Havenstein (LAR)

And quite a few of those are winning teams traditionally.

We can still take a weapon at 31 that makes this offense more explosive and then get a RT. We don't have to key in on it at 31. Guys like Duncan, Bergeron, and Freeland have been on the Chiefs' radar and could be in play if they don't go OT in 1.

Hell I think you can get a day 2 talent on day 3 in Carter Warren.  I think he drops from the injury. 

There's some really intriguing tackles on day 3 as well like Jake Witt, who just murdered the testing.

Agreed.  Assuming KC really believes their guy can make the switch to the left side (and I think they do) and assuming they think Niang can play, I'm not sure tackle as much a priority as fans think.  If an obvious upgrade falls in their lap, sure.  DLine and another playmaker for the receiver room seem like bigger priorities.