Your Best-Guess Mock

kccrow

I like to follow up my "What I Want" mock with a look into what everyone feels the Chiefs will actually do on draft day. Kind of a deep thought exercise into current and future needs and best schematic fits. So, I'd look forward to seeing what you all got. Here's my stab at it:

1. OT Anton Harrison, Oklahoma (move up with 4-122, 2024 pick)
I do think, at the end of the day, Andy Reid is going to want some "permanence" to his OT group and I don't think he can have that feeling with the RT situation. You just go back to his old quote: "I want two offensive tackles, a quarterback, two pass rushers, two corners, and I'll figure the rest out." Well, he might have LT or RT figured out with Jawaan Taylor. I think he wants another supreme pass blocker to keep Mahomes from running for his life. He has his starters at the other cornerstones locked in for 2023.

2. DT Zacch Pickens, South Carolina
He's too much like Fletcher Cox and Devonte Wyatt (Chiefs scouted him heavily last year) for me to feel like he's not pretty high on Veach's board. He played primarily 1-tech at SC and he can move around, so he's going to have quite a bit of appeal here. Yes, I'm incredibly high on him but I also think he's as much a Veach type as there could be at the position.

3. WR Jayden Reed, Michigan State
Veach has masked his true intentions at WR over the past several drafts and I think he's likely to do so again. We all see the need for a bit more explosion at WR with the ability to beat man coverage and Reed certainly has that. He's not the bigger-bodied guy the Chiefs have been reported to have been scouting but he definitely fits Reid's style more.

4. CB Rejzohn Wright, Oregon State
Wright is definitely a schematic fit for KC's defense as a physical press-man corner with decent recovery speed. He happens to be a bit more grabby than I prefer but that hasn't deterred Veach and Spags from deploying those types here over the past several years.

5. RB Sean Tucker, Syracuse
Tucker is far too much like Shady McCoy for me to ever discount him. He's a good runner between the tackles and a good receiver out of the backfield. He has just enough speed to reach the corner on outside zone and to take one the distance but he's not a track star. He's going to have to learn to pass block though at a much higher level.

6. DE Tavius Robinson, Mississippi
This might feel like too long to wait at DE, and I'd strongly consider Isaiah McGuire in the conversation in the 3rd. That said, Robinson fits the length profile Spags employs and he's got solid bend and strength at the point. His experience lining up as a 4i/5 in a 3-4 is going to be helpful in transitioning to this defense. I don't see a better pure fit in this draft on day 3.

6. DT Dante Stills, West Virginia
His dad starred for KC so if he's around late then I think he's definitely going to be on the radar. Veach has scouted him and several of his type, such as Deslin Alexandre, so I think an undersized rotational pass-rushing DT is going to be in the cards. Stills just makes the most sense.

7. OL Jerome Carvin, Tennessee
Carvin's experience at both guard spots and center in college is a huge draw when looking at a depth player. I think KC goes to the Tennessee well again for an offensive lineman and gets an experienced player that's a really solid pass blocker.

7. TE Leonard Taylor, Cincinnati
The Chiefs don't really need a TE but the reality is that Taylor could knock both Bell and Fortson out of a job if he pans out. He's a good blocker and a solid situational receiver. I don't think you're looking for much more than that type at this stage of the game anyhow.

1. Keeanu Benton DT Wisconsin
2. Derek Hall DE Auburn
3. AT Perry WR wake forest
4. Rakim Jarrett WR Maryland
4. Tank Bigsby RB Auburn
5. Tyler Lacy DT Oklahoma State
6. BJ Thompson DE Sam Houston
6. Earl Bostick OT Kansas
7. Spencer Anderson G/C Maryland
7. Jahleel Billingsly TE Texas

I might take Andre Carter in round 2. He has an elite 3 cone drill which I believe shows good bend.

1. Wright or Harrison, OT

2. Hall, DE

3. Perry or Mingo, WR

4a. DT or Roshon Johnson, RB

4b. D-line, TE, or S

5.  Double dip for another DE WR, or BPA 

Drafts are just too unpredictable to even guess after the first 100 picks.  We all have a few favorites for day three, but getting them is a crap shoot.  I like the WRs from Neb. and Stanford and either should be available in the late third or later.  I like Ojomo, the DT from Texas in the fifth or later.  Deuce Vaughn is interesting as a seventh rounder or UDFA just as a gadget player.  Most of the mocks I've played with, admittedly unreliable, indicate that whiffing on an OT early means reaching for one later in the draft.  Another reason to prioritize OT over WR on day one.  Moving ahead of the Bengals in the first round would be sweet.  

19 hours ago, kccrow said:

I like to follow up my "What I Want" mock with a look into what everyone feels the Chiefs will actually do on draft day. Kind of a deep thought exercise into current and future needs and best schematic fits. So, I'd look forward to seeing what you all got. Here's my stab at it:

1. OT Anton Harrison, Oklahoma (move up with 4-122, 2024 pick)
I do think, at the end of the day, Andy Reid is going to want some "permanence" to his OT group and I don't think he can have that feeling with the RT situation. You just go back to his old quote: "I want two offensive tackles, a quarterback, two pass rushers, two corners, and I'll figure the rest out." Well, he might have LT or RT figured out with Jawaan Taylor. I think he wants another supreme pass blocker to keep Mahomes from running for his life. He has his starters at the other cornerstones locked in for 2023.

2. DT Zacch Pickens, South Carolina
He's too much like Fletcher Cox and Devonte Wyatt (Chiefs scouted him heavily last year) for me to feel like he's not pretty high on Veach's board. He played primarily 1-tech at SC and he can move around, so he's going to have quite a bit of appeal here. Yes, I'm incredibly high on him but I also think he's as much a Veach type as there could be at the position.

3. WR Jayden Reed, Michigan State
Veach has masked his true intentions at WR over the past several drafts and I think he's likely to do so again. We all see the need for a bit more explosion at WR with the ability to beat man coverage and Reed certainly has that. He's not the bigger-bodied guy the Chiefs have been reported to have been scouting but he definitely fits Reid's style more.

4. CB Rejzohn Wright, Oregon State
Wright is definitely a schematic fit for KC's defense as a physical press-man corner with decent recovery speed. He happens to be a bit more grabby than I prefer but that hasn't deterred Veach and Spags from deploying those types here over the past several years.

5. RB Sean Tucker, Syracuse
Tucker is far too much like Shady McCoy for me to ever discount him. He's a good runner between the tackles and a good receiver out of the backfield. He has just enough speed to reach the corner on outside zone and to take one the distance but he's not a track star. He's going to have to learn to pass block though at a much higher level.

6. DE Tavius Robinson, Mississippi
This might feel like too long to wait at DE, and I'd strongly consider Isaiah McGuire in the conversation in the 3rd. That said, Robinson fits the length profile Spags employs and he's got solid bend and strength at the point. His experience lining up as a 4i/5 in a 3-4 is going to be helpful in transitioning to this defense. I don't see a better pure fit in this draft on day 3.

6. DT Dante Stills, West Virginia
His dad starred for KC so if he's around late then I think he's definitely going to be on the radar. Veach has scouted him and several of his type, such as Deslin Alexandre, so I think an undersized rotational pass-rushing DT is going to be in the cards. Stills just makes the most sense.

7. OL Jerome Carvin, Tennessee
Carvin's experience at both guard spots and center in college is a huge draw when looking at a depth player. I think KC goes to the Tennessee well again for an offensive lineman and gets an experienced player that's a really solid pass blocker.

7. TE Leonard Taylor, Cincinnati
The Chiefs don't really need a TE but the reality is that Taylor could knock both Bell and Fortson out of a job if he pans out. He's a good blocker and a solid situational receiver. I don't think you're looking for much more than that type at this stage of the game anyhow.

This would make me happy.

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

1. Wright or Harrison, OT

2. Hall, DE

3. Perry or Mingo, WR

4a. DT or Roshon Johnson, RB

4b. D-line, TE, or S

5.  Double dip for another DE WR, or BPA 

Drafts are just too unpredictable to even guess after the first 100 picks.  We all have a few favorites for day three, but getting them is a crap shoot.  I like the WRs from Neb. and Stanford and either should be available in the late third or later.  I like Ojomo, the DT from Texas in the fifth or later.  Deuce Vaughn is interesting as a seventh rounder or UDFA just as a gadget player.  Most of the mocks I've played with, admittedly unreliable, indicate that whiffing on an OT early means reaching for one later in the draft.  Another reason to prioritize OT over WR on day one.  Moving ahead of the Bengals in the first round would be sweet.  

This would make me happy too, but I'd go secondary with 4a and 4b.

1 - Keion White EDGE Georgia Tech

2 - Jaelyn Duncan OT Maryland

3 - Ronnie Bell WR Michigan

4 - Leonard Taylor TE Cincinnati

4 - Tyjae Spears RB Tulane

5 - Daniel Scott S California

6 - Dante Stills DT WVA

6- Arquon Bush CB Cincinnati

7- Jerome Carvine G/C Tennessee

7- Nikko Remigio WR Fresno St

3 hours ago, mex said:

This would make me happy too, but I'd go secondary with 4a and 4b.

If the Chiefs go secondary as early as the fourth round, does that mean they won't try to resign Sneed?  He's going to demand a contract in the high teens as a minimum and I'd hate to lose him.  But we could have said the same for Hill a year ago and at least the Chiefs will get one more year out of him.  

47 minutes ago, jetlord said:

If the Chiefs go secondary as early as the fourth round, does that mean they won't try to resign Sneed?  He's going to demand a contract in the high teens as a minimum and I'd hate to lose him.  But we could have said the same for Hill a year ago and at least the Chiefs will get one more year out of him.  

Oh I'd hate to lose him too... but it's going to happen. The way the game has evolved it's all about CBs, S and WR. Sneed will absolutely demand more... just like Hill.

Best strategy is to draft well and try to have replacements ready to step in. IIRC Sneed was a 4th rounder. 

20 minutes ago, mex said:

Oh I'd hate to lose him too... but it's going to happen. The way the game has evolved it's all about CBs, S and WR. Sneed will absolutely demand more... just like Hill.

Best strategy is to draft well and try to have replacements ready to step in. IIRC Sneed was a 4th rounder. 

With as well as we have drafted low and developed these guys into above avg players it seems like a no brainer.  Love Sneed and hate to lose him but Bolton is up for an extension next year and I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't the one they pay in the teens not Sneed....even though I like Sneed a little more than Bolton.

I recently decided to move Pickens back to the 3rd and put Rashee Rice in at the 2nd rounder though that may be silly to move Pickens down because I still feel like he probably goes higher than the pundits have him... If not Pickens, I'd feel pretty high on Cameron Young from Miss State since he's kind of the type of NT Veach has targeted before. 

My best guess:

1. Trade up for Michael Mayer. The league ain't ready for this TE tandem.

2. Isaiah Foskey. A guy who doesn't have to do anything this year but rush the QB. And he can do that. Meets Spags' size threshold. 

3. Trey Palmer. Dude has some enticing traits.

4. Traded in Mayer move.

4. NT. Depth. Push Nnadi. 

5. OT. Depth.

6A. CB. Depth.

6B. Edge. Flyer on someone super raw but w/ real upside. Like Kaindoh. 🤦‍♂️

7A. Traded in Mayer move.

7B. WR. A big dude. "X" type receiver, that won't make the team.