And then another 
I broke her heart so many times 
I had to have my parting wife 
I had to have my party 
Why broke her heart so many times 
But one day she said 
Sweetheart the party's over 
Turn out the lights...

One thing I've noticed is that if we get close to the end zone like 1 or 2 yards, we automatically just run the ball in for a touchdown when other teams try to pass it. And I understand this when the game is close, but when we're blowing out teams we don't do that so we're not going to get many passing touchdowns that way.

This is okay because stats don't really matter, but we will constantly get people talk about how many touchdowns Smith scores. Or they were merely look at the running back touchdowns and say that we rely upon them. For touchdowns like Charles' large one I can see that but for the 1 yarder by Davis it's not quite representative. Kelce could've scored on that one run and would that have made much of a difference?

If we had play caller who wanted to get him a touchdown every game, there would be instances like this last touchdown we would've scored.

When the game is close, I understand that you just score however you can. And I don't think it's necessarily that it's harder to score passing when you're so close. Teams also sell out to block and stuff the run so I am comparing the run versus the pass - I'm not comparing close to the touchdown to other places on the field. Smith's passes are close. Usually when he does score sure touchdowns they say it's only 3 yards as if it is easy.

Yes, I know that when we're blowing out teams we want to run the clock out and it seems less classy to throw for a touchdown, but I still see it from other teams. Not a big deal, I'm not starting a new threaf for this.

Teams should just run the ball in when they end up with 1st and goal inside the 5. It is insanely difficult for a defense to keep an offense from gaining 5 or less yards on the ground in 3 plays.

True, just saying that is one of many ways stats can be manipulated. "Smith is worse than he is because these RBs scored X TDs for the Chiefs." How often does someone use a stat like that to show he was "carried" when they drive he led them to the 1 yard line? If Kelce's elbow didn't hit on the one yard line, would Smith be a better QB? No. Will someone say Smith has never passed more than 25 TDs if he gets 24 this year? Yes, and this would be true if Davis runs 10 one yard TDs in. (Yes, 10 is an illustrative exaggeration.)

No big deal, just an observation. I see other team throw one yard TDs despite it being insanely difficult to stop a team getting five yards on three carries.

He gets plenty of TDs like the Chargers game where the FB did the work, but so do other QBs. Other QBs get more pass plays from the 1-5 yard line, IMO, though I have no numbers on that.

When the coaches worry more about the passer ratings than just winning the game, I'll lose interest in the team.  Reid already has a problem with trusting the run game enough.  Be glad he gave Charles and Davis the chances to get in sync even though Smith was hitting a high percentage of pass attempts.  Stick with what the Chiefs do best and they'll still have a chance to win a majority of games.

True, just saying that is one of many ways stats can be manipulated. "Smith is worse than he is because these RBs scored X TDs for the Chiefs." How often does someone use a stat like that to show he was "carried" when they drive he led them to the 1 yard line? If Kelce's elbow didn't hit on the one yard line, would Smith be a better QB? No. Will someone say Smith has never passed more than 25 TDs if he gets 24 this year? Yes, and this would be true if Davis runs 10 one yard TDs in. (Yes, 10 is an illustrative exaggeration.)

No big deal, just an observation. I see other team throw one yard TDs despite it being insanely difficult to stop a team getting five yards on three carries.

He gets plenty of TDs like the Chargers game where the FB did the work, but so do other QBs. Other QBs get more pass plays from the 1-5 yard line, IMO, though I have no numbers on that.

I don't believe I've heard anyone criticize Al because the RB are scoring TDs in the red zone.  The only criticism I've heard is he isn't a play maker.  2 yard TD passes won't change that.

When the coaches worry more about the passer ratings than just winning the game, I'll lose interest in the team. Reid already has a problem with trusting the run game enough. Be glad he gave Charles and Davis the chances to get in sync even though Smith was hitting a high percentage of pass attempts. Stick with what the Chiefs do best and they'll still have a chance to win a majority of games.

I should have put the disclaimer that I wasn't saying what Reid should do. It was meant merely as an observation of watching multiple games around the league each week. Reid, of course, should just do what gives us seven.

i.e....Peyton Manning! I often have wondered how many of his record setting 513 TD passes were 1st down passes inside the 5 yard line. Peyton is great...but he also is given a lot of leeway to pad his stats.

Archived