Rams vs. Chiefs Game thread.

I don't believe I've heard anyone criticize Al because the RB are scoring TDs in the red zone. The only criticism I've heard is he isn't a play maker. 2 yard TD passes won't change that.

All true. I'll concede there. Where I am coming from is when we acquired him by trade, I heard people cite that he "never threw more than18 TDs!" This 18 best was done in 8 full games and two quarters combined in two separate games.

If that type of argument (with no reference to injury proneness) is used against him, wouldn't RBs scoring from 2 yards when other QBs throw 2-yard TDs be too? I know people have cited QB to RB TD ratio (pass vs. running TDs).

The fact we have good RBs and a prudent play caller when other QBs have play-callers who want TD passes affects that TD total. Would Smith be a better QB or a playmaker if we had given him more 1 yard tries? No, but the low TD range implies he's worse or more reliant upon RBs. Stats scew things both ways, as I've seen other QBs get TDs like our fullbackdid in SD, too. It was an observation of play calling versus other teams.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i.e....Peyton Manning! I often have wondered how many of his record setting 513 TD passes were 1st down passes inside the 5 yard line. Peyton is great...but he also is given a lot of leeway to pad his stats.

Thank you. This is what I was driving at. I was merely stating the opposite of padding stats. I would have said this with Cassel and would with the next QB whenever that is.

i.e....Peyton Manning! I often have wondered how many of his record setting 513 TD passes were 1st down passes inside the 5 yard line. Peyton is great...but he also is given a lot of leeway to pad his stats.

No coach is giving PM leeway to pad his stats.  Their jobs depend on W and L.  PM is allowed to throw 5 yard TD passes because he is the team's best option to score.  Hence 513 TDs.

Archived