Final 2023 Chiefs Mock

kccrow

Because f-it.

1-14. LT BRODERICK JONES | Georgia (6'5" 311)
KC sends 1-31, 3-95, 2024 1st to NE for 1-14.
My magic 8-ball tells me that Veach is going to push his chips in to finalize this offensive line and he's not going to do it for a 2nd-rate prospect. He's going to do his usual balls-deep approach and get a guy he wants. Veach hasn't been shy about spending multiple premium assets on a single player before and I think he does it again for a guy that I think has the most upside of any LT prospect in this draft. He also happens to be one of only a handful of prospects the Chiefs have knowingly met with multiple times (W. McDonald, D. Wright, A. Bradford, R. Bell, and B. Thompson being the others I'm aware of).

2-63. DE ISAIAH FOSKEY | Notre Dame (6'5" 264)
In my opinion, there isn't a more "Spags'-style" DE in this draft than Foskey. He's been getting fairly consistent bottom-of-two grades as things come to a close and that's an insane value. If he's there, he's a Chief in my opinion. He fits long-term into the rotation to give KC a really stellar unit that can move any of the three of him, Omenihu, or Karlaftis down inside.

3-102. WR RASHEE RICE | Southern Methodist (6'0" 205)
KC sends 4-122, 5-166, and 6-217 to SF for 3-102.
I have a feeling the 49ers are going to package 2 of their 3 late-third-round picks to move up much higher in the 3rd to at least get a top-75 player. If they do that, they may be looking to recoup some assets and KC is a prime player to give it to them. Veach makes the boss happy by making a huge splash in round 1 then putting a capstone on day 2 with the draft in KC. Rice has seemingly settled into late 3rd/early 4th rankings and so I see KC wanting to pounce on a guy that can get it done in a similar role as JuJu.

4-134. DT CAMERON YOUNG | Mississippi State (6'3" 305)
It took every ounce of my being not to put Zacch Pickens at 63, so consider it a caveat that he's probably my 2b. Anyhow, the Chiefs have to address the DT position at some point in this draft and perhaps a couple of times. Young is a stalwart plugger that could find himself a very DJ Reader-esque career if he meets his projection. He's tough at the point of attack and gets off the ball well, which is a big knock on so many of the DTs in this draft.

6-178. RB EVAN HULL | Northwestern (5'10" 209)
It seems like Veach always likes to hone in on a Senior Bowl standout and Hull was exactly that. He's a good runner with patience and contact balance and the speed to take it home when he gets the opportunity. He's also an extremely good receiver out of the backfield and led all FBS backs with 55 receptions last year. He needs some technique work in pass blocking as a 3rd down back but he doesn't lack effort there.

7-249. DT DESJUAN JOHNSON | Toledo (6'2" 285)
Johnson is a rocket it off the line that creates havoc in opposing backfields. He did so to the tune of 65 tkls, 16.5 tfl, and 5.5 sacks en route to an All-MAC selection. The Chiefs took notice and I think he's an ideal long-term replacement for Wharton. He can add value right now as a rush package guy and hopefully put on a little more mass. He has some rotational value at DE as well but his lack of length is the lone major wart.

7-250. FS JERRICK REED II | New Mexico (5'10" 196)
Reed is much like Nazeeh Johnson as a nickel/safety hybrid that's a bit undersized but he has the reaction skills to keep phase and the aggressiveness and IQ that puts him in position with good outcomes. I think Veach will want to keep pumping guys in that can be multiple if they lose Sneed. Reed can also be a valuable special teams guy with this speed and tackling.

Roster

QB P. Mahomes II, B. Gabbert, S. Buechele
RB I. Pacheco, C. Edwards-Helaire, E. Hull
WR K. Toney, M. Valdez-Scantling, S. Moore, R. Rice, R. James, J. Ross
TE T. Kelce, N. Gray, J. Fortson, B. Bell
OT B. Jones, J. Taylor, L. Niang, P. Tega-Wanogho
IL J. Thuney, C. Humphrey, T. Smith, N. Allegretti, D. Kinnard

DE G. Karlaftis, C. Omenihu, I. Foskey, M. Danna, M. Herring
DT C. Jones, D. Nnadi, C. Young, T. Wharton, D. Johnson
LB N. Bolton, D. Tranquill, L. Chenal, W. Gay, J. Cochrane
CB L. Sneed, T. McDuffie, J. Watson, J. Williams, N. Johnson
DB J. Reid, M. Edwards, B. Cook, D. Bush, J. Reed

ST H. Butker, T. Townsend, J. Winchester

Me no likey.  You should throw your magic 8-ball in the trash.

Seriously, though.  I can't see Veach spending roughly the same compensation that KC spent to acquire MVPat, on a tackle.  Don't get me wrong.  I think Jones is the best LT prospect in the draft.  However, he does need some work.  I'm okay with the rest of it.  But, Rice won't be there.  Your own words told us that he was a first round pick just a month ago.

JMO.  We shall see tonight.

I could see both Foskey and Rice being there depending on how the 2nd tier WRs and DEs sort out.  

There are a lot of ends I think go in round 2 amd a lot of receivers in that 3/4 range so it's not unreasonable.  You know teams will see these guys differently.

BTW Cedric Tillman supposedly ran in 4.3's at his pro day vs the 4.5 at the combine.  Not sure about that time, it's not a laser time, but even low 4.4's at his size and ability pushes him way up.

5 hours ago, xen said:

I could see both Foskey and Rice being there depending on how the 2nd tier WRs and DEs sort out.  

There are a lot of ends I think go in round 2 amd a lot of receivers in that 3/4 range so it's not unreasonable.  You know teams will see these guys differently.

BTW Cedric Tillman supposedly ran in 4.3's at his pro day vs the 4.5 at the combine.  Not sure about that time, it's not a laser time, but even low 4.4's at his size and ability pushes him way up.

I've been on Tillman for a long time but he'll be gone by mid-second and out of the Chief's reach IMHO.

9 hours ago, SEMO said:

Me no likey.  You should throw your magic 8-ball in the trash.

Seriously, though.  I can't see Veach spending roughly the same compensation that KC spent to acquire MVPat, on a tackle.  Don't get me wrong.  I think Jones is the best LT prospect in the draft.  However, he does need some work.  I'm okay with the rest of it.  But, Rice won't be there.  Your own words told us that he was a first round pick just a month ago.

JMO.  We shall see tonight.

My opinion versus the consensus at the close here is two entirely different things. There are a lot of players that will go in the first round tonight that I wouldn't take until the 3rd round or would personally rate vastly different than what some teams may do. For example, I don't like Bryce Young. He's probably going 1st overall. I wouldn't take him until the 2nd round. I don't like Nolan Smith. I wouldn't take him until the 2nd or 3rd round. I do not think Calijah Kancey is a 1st round talent. I would not draft Zay Flowers until the late 2nd. I wouldn't take Bryan Bresee until the late 2nd. See how that goes. Now there are players I think are much better than their ratings. Rice is one. I would take AT Perry in the 1st. I would take Keeanu Benton in the 1st. I would consider Isaiah Foskey in the 1st. Some guys I wouldn't draft at all, like Gervon Dexter. I hate him off the snap. That's a lot of personal preference and differentiating opinions. But at some point, you have to look at things and think that if these 6 guys I really respect have them this way, then maybe I need to give some credence to that. Isaiah Foskey is rated a bottom 2/top 3 guy on almost every board at the close. Rashee Rice is rated around 100 on most boards. So, we can think maybe that's not right but a whole bunch of highly respected dudes are saying differently.

As for this constant comparison to what we gave up for Pat Mahomes as some sort of trade value measure, throw that bucket of shit out the window. We gave up nearly the same thing for Frank Clark + 100m. You either want a franchise LT and you go get one, or you don't. I'm totally fine if you don't. And yeah, I project Broderick Jones to be the best LT to come from the past 3 classes. He needs some technique work but he's got everything to be elite. Not good. Elite. And I'd like to have that in KC, cost be damned. Would I gladly settle for something else? You bet. I'll take Jahmyr Gibbs. I'll take Jalen Hyatt. Etc. At the end of the day, this is not my "what I want" mock. This my last stab gut feel on what I think Veach might do. It could be DRASTICALLY off base. Pick 14 is a little higher than he's talked about going but he did say 18. We spent a lot of time with Bro Jones in this draft process and Veach has not been overly committal to the thought that Taylor will play LT. Veach isn't a sit-on-his-hands type of dude. 

55 minutes ago, kccrow said:

My opinion versus the consensus at the close here is two entirely different things. There are a lot of players that will go in the first round tonight that I wouldn't take until the 3rd round or would personally rate vastly different than what some teams may do. For example, I don't like Bryce Young. He's probably going 1st overall. I wouldn't take him until the 2nd round. I don't like Nolan Smith. I wouldn't take him until the 2nd or 3rd round. I do not think Calijah Kancey is a 1st round talent. I would not draft Zay Flowers until the late 2nd. I wouldn't take Bryan Bresee until the late 2nd. See how that goes. Now there are players I think are much better than their ratings. Rice is one. I would take AT Perry in the 1st. I would take Keeanu Benton in the 1st. I would consider Isaiah Foskey in the 1st. Some guys I wouldn't draft at all, like Gervon Dexter. I hate him off the snap. That's a lot of personal preference and differentiating opinions. But at some point, you have to look at things and think that if these 6 guys I really respect have them this way, then maybe I need to give some credence to that. Isaiah Foskey is rated a bottom 2/top 3 guy on almost every board at the close. Rashee Rice is rated around 100 on most boards. So, we can think maybe that's not right but a whole bunch of highly respected dudes are saying differently.

As for this constant comparison to what we gave up for Pat Mahomes as some sort of trade value measure, throw that bucket of shit out the window. We gave up nearly the same thing for Frank Clark + 100m. You either want a franchise LT and you go get one, or you don't. I'm totally fine if you don't. And yeah, I project Broderick Jones to be the best LT to come from the past 3 classes. He needs some technique work but he's got everything to be elite. Not good. Elite. And I'd like to have that in KC, cost be damned. Would I gladly settle for something else? You bet. I'll take Jahmyr Gibbs. I'll take Jalen Hyatt. Etc. At the end of the day, this is not my "what I want" mock. This my last stab gut feel on what I think Veach might do. It could be DRASTICALLY off base. Pick 14 is a little higher than he's talked about going but he did say 18. We spent a lot of time with Bro Jones in this draft process and Veach has not been overly committal to the thought that Taylor will play LT. Veach isn't a sit-on-his-hands type of dude. 

I agree with what you are saying, mostly.  I just don't think Jones is worth the compensation that Mahomes was.  JMO.

And, yeah,  I don't mock according to what I want.  I always try to feel what Veach is thinking.  Impossible, but oh well.  I pay attn to who they bring in, probably more than most.  Especially, multiple contacts.  It doesn't always mean something, but sometimes, like in 2015, it did.  I lucked out and hit on 4 picks.  And another they signed UDFA.  Since then, I have got 3 players right.  In seven drafts, lol.  It's a crap shoot.  Hell, even the yahoos getting paid to guess are seldom right.

In the end, I want whoever Veach feels helps the team most.  If that is trading up a boatload for Bro Jones, then I won't whine about it.  And, it was fun trying to guess.