2023 NFL draft thread

33 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I don't see Clark Hunt as being cheap.  The team is up against the cap every year and they seem to keep good coaches and staff.  Arrowhead is old but Jackson County is responsible for it and getting it upgraded about 13 years ago was a struggle. 

FAU played HS ball in our town and my SIL went to KSU so we've followed him for several years.  If his skills translate to the NFL, he's not a wasted pick.   As you said, he was probably the best option at an area of need.  

He is young and has a lot of traits that generally translate.  We needed another young talented DE and we got one.  Like the pick.  Glad we didn't trade up for any wr.  

4 minutes ago, xen said:

I said earlier would love to get him.  Be nicer with a trade down but I would bet no one wanted to trade up.  

Our D line could eventually be just sick if Karlaftis and FAU can develop enough to keep teams from focusing so much on CJ.

Its great we finally drafted two young talented DE's in back to back years.  Seems like a motivated and driven guy which means he isn't a 5 star arrogant entitled player.  That generally bodes well plus his 3 cone and broad jump translates well to the NFL.   The one nice thing is that 5 year option so while we couldn't trade back we didn't reach and we drafted a position that has high positional value.

I came away from this pick feeling like Veach tried to play it very safe. He's a good DE. Quality pass rusher but lacking against the run. He'll have a chance to develop in rotation and I do feel like our edge is going to be fresher this year with four guys that can play. I still wouldn't mind bringing Dunlap back and kicking Herring and Kiandoh to the curb. That'd be a pretty stout group.

My draft crush all offseason has been Hyatt so not taking him there made me wince a bit but I get it. Fortifying the lines is definitely important. I'm hoping we get Benton in the 2nd in a move up the board. I think that'd be a pretty fierce front line. If not Benton, I'm thinking Pickens. No matter what though, I don't think we'll hate it. 

16 minutes ago, kccrow said:

I came away from this pick feeling like Veach tried to play it very safe. He's a good DE. Quality pass rusher but lacking against the run. He'll have a chance to develop in rotation and I do feel like our edge is going to be fresher this year with four guys that can play. I still wouldn't mind bringing Dunlap back and kicking Herring and Kiandoh to the curb. That'd be a pretty stout group.

My draft crush all offseason has been Hyatt so not taking him there made me wince a bit but I get it. Fortifying the lines is definitely important. I'm hoping we get Benton in the 2nd in a move up the board. I think that'd be a pretty fierce front line. If not Benton, I'm thinking Pickens. No matter what though, I don't think we'll hate it. 

Always a chance they could trade up in the 2nd for Hyatt.  A lot cheaper to do it in the 2nd than the first.  Didn't like him as much as you in the first but would love him in the 2nd.  

33 minutes ago, kccrow said:

Mingo or Tillman would be worth trading up in the second if  either lasts past 50.  DT seems really thin on the roster and Benton may be gone by the time the Chiefs pick.  I wouldn't mind Ojomo early day three.  

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Mingo or Tillman would be worth trading up in the second if  either lasts past 50.  DT seems really thin on the roster and Benton may be gone by the time the Chiefs pick.  I wouldn't mind Ojomo early day three.  

Sign me up for either Tillman or Mingo. I have trouble seeing Tillman being available at 63. Chiefs likely would need to move up to get him. Lot of sites had Mingo as a 3rd round grade although he seemed to be getting a lot of positive press leading into the draft. 

Chiefs wire said the Plowboys turned down the Chiefs for a Trade up

Chiefs Wire

Report: Cowboys turned down trade offer from Chiefs

Cowboys Wire’s KD Drummond reports via Cowboys team host and reporter Kyle Youmans that Dallas turned down a trade offer with Kansas City. The specific details of the trade offers aren’t known, but the Cowboys would acquire pick No. 31 and the Chiefs would move up five spots to acquire pick No. 26 in the first round of the 2023 NFL draft.

Who might their target have been in a trade-up situation? Perhaps Georgia edge rusher Nolan Smith, Oklahoma OT Anton Smith or one of the top tight ends in the draft class? It’s clear that Dallas had a player in mind at that pick (and that player was Michigan DT Mazi Smith). This spot was likely the Chiefs’ last opportunity to trade ahead of AFC rivals like Cincinnati and Buffalo. The Bills actually moved up to pick No. 25 to take Utah TE Dalton Kincaid. We knew that Brett Veach was going to aggressively pursue a trade-up in Round 1, but sometimes it’s simply a matter of finding a willing trade partner. Few teams seemed willing to do the reigning Super Bowl champions a favor.

8 hours ago, oldtimer said:

not sure how I feel about it..was hoping  for  the Domer TE not mad about him seems light in the pants

The edge game is changing… I think that’s ok 

it’s tough drafting last. They went with BPA of need… can’t blame them a bit

5 minutes ago, mex said:

yea like I said I'm not mad about it and not being a draft nerd I have no right to be. I hope the chiefs trade up in the 2nd to get a difference maker perferably  someone on the line OL/DL.. we have plenty of picks to play with so it shouldn't be THAT hard unless like the article mentioned possibly Teams consciously making  a decision  NOT to play with the Chiefs.

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

yea like I said I'm not mad about it and not being a draft nerd I have no right to be. I hope the chiefs trade up in the 2nd to get a difference maker perferably  someone on the line OL/DL.. we have plenty of picks to play with so it shouldn't be THAT hard unless like the article mentioned possibly Teams consciously making  a decision  NOT to play with the Chiefs.

I don’t think it’s teams not wanting to help the chiefs so much as the offer wasn’t good enough. Ultimately no team makes a trade unless they feel like they’re getting the best of the deal. I would love it if we traded up for OL… there are still a few potential starters out there… freeland is a guy who is proficient in pass pro and he’s a smart kid… they type Andy loves… doesn’t hurt  he’s from BYU

1 minute ago, mex said:

I don’t think it’s teams not wanting to help the chiefs so much as the offer wasn’t good enough. Ultimately no team makes a trade unless they feel like they’re getting the best of the deal. I would love it if we traded up for OL… there are still a few potential starters out there… freeland is a guy who is proficient in pass pro and he’s a smart kid… they type Andy loves… doesn’t hurt  he’s from BYU

are not "kids" lol from BYU  notoriously  a little older so pushing 30 by the 2nd contract?

Having bookend DEs on rookie contracts is absolute gold. If Karlaftis keeps growing, and this kid can contribute on 3rd downs right away, we are going to be in a good spot. 

I love the fact that he's got such an advanced pass rush arsenal. I dont mean that to say that his ceiling is sky high. But he made a point to work on and refine having pass rush moves and counters while in college. He should be able to challenge tackles day 1.

A lot of DEs are getting by in college on just being more talented than the opponents they face and come into the league raw needing a lot of refinement.

Plus he went to high school and college locally so he's gonna be ready to run through a wall for this team. 

8 hours ago, kccrow said:

He did look much better this year vs the rush than last year but yeah, WIP. 

Benton, Hyatt, Pickens all work for me.

Just read up on Freeland..seems to be an interesting prospect with as many +s as -'s but added weight and coaching could be a formidable force for years to come..wonder how far the Chiefs would have to trade up to get to him..High 40 to low 50 pick? Is it conceivable he'd fall to  Chiefs if they stayed put, is it worth the gamble to wait n see?

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Just read up on Freeland..seems to be an interesting prospect with as many +s as -'s but added weight and coaching could be a formidable force for years to come..wonder how far the Chiefs would have to trade up to get to him..High 40 to low 50 pick? Is it conceivable he'd fall to  Chiefs if they stayed put, is it worth the gamble to wait n see?

He should be there at 63.  There are a lot of differing opinions on him out there.  Some really like him, others think he will never cut it in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, SEMO said:

He should be there at 63.  There are a lot of differing opinions on him out there.  Some really like him, others think he will never cut it in the NFL.

I think Draftbuzz had him as a top 100  but could fall to the 50 ish range  just because of his measurables..so that's clear as mud. The way things have gone for the chiefs I think they might want to be a bit more aggressive if they have a target player instead of BPA but with the current roster I suppose the Chiefs have that luxury to go BPA.

As you can tell I'm no poker player lol

1 hour ago, mex said:

The guy is fast AF off of the edge and appears to have really solid character.  KC could have done a lot worse.  Added bonus that he's a somewhat local guy.

8 minutes ago, BroncoStud said:

The guy is fast AF off of the edge and appears to have really solid character.  KC could have done a lot worse.  Added bonus that he's a somewhat local guy.

I mean he played his high school games 20 minutes from Arrowhead. I wouldnt really characterize that as "somewhat" local. I dont know what other criteria he would need to meet to be local. Maybe his family raising him in the Arrowhead parking lot?