2023 NFL draft thread

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

you can say that again altho I'm not mad about our #1 pick  am yawning at the others but the BFF from Texas I thought was a good pick. Granted I'm no Draft nerd and am ignorant to a vast majority of college players but I was hoping that  since the draft was in KC, we just won the SB we'd see some splashy moves that showed Veach  was laser focused on a repeat.. the draft nor FA just didn't show me that I guess. Not sure what I was hoping for but it was more than I got.

Who or what were you hoping for?  They whiffed on a day one OT but that was almost expected.  No way could they trade up far enough to nab one of the elites.  FAU was picked about where he was rated and could be solid as a pass rusher.  Rice could be just as good in the KC system as Flowers or Quintin Johnson and they were both gone anyway.  I would have preferred Tillman, but Andy knows offense and he wanted Rice enough to trade away a fourth for him.  After whiffing on OT early, a RT for backup or competition was obvious and the Chiefs got their man.  So three rounds, three needs filled.  Love the Coburn pick in the sixth to help at their thinnest remaining position.  We get all excited about one splashy player or another, but the Chiefs aren't likely to get one if they keep picking after winning SBs.  

I agree it wasn’t a super sexy draft but I was very solid and probably will be another very good draft.   The board just didn’t fall like many of us had hoped but I still think Veach navigated it well.  

Reality is if your team doesn’t develop its players it won’t matter how well they draft.  We aren’t perfect in that area but we have some areas we are really good at.   Can’t wait to see what else Veach has in store for this off-season. 

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

you can say that again altho I'm not mad about our #1 pick  am yawning at the others but the BFF from Texas I thought was a good pick. Granted I'm no Draft nerd and am ignorant to a vast majority of college players but I was hoping that  since the draft was in KC, we just won the SB we'd see some splashy moves that showed Veach  was laser focused on a repeat.. the draft nor FA just didn't show me that I guess. Not sure what I was hoping for but it was more than I got.

I get it. After last year's draft we were all pumped. This year ... meh. Like you, I'm no draft guru, but it seems this draft was about depth and the long term I don't see this draft to have anywhere near the immediate impact of last year's, but it makes the Chiefs better by providing depth and competition, particularly for Dline and RT.

That's the way I see it, anyway. 

I think because we were the defending champs and the draft was in Kansas City, a lot of fans expected Veach to pull off some deal and land a player "we never dreamed we could get". But I am satisfied with the haul we got. Especially given how Round 1 played out. 

22 minutes ago, Nadlers Quivering Balls said:

I get it. After last year's draft we were all pumped. This year ... meh. Like you, I'm no draft guru, but it seems this draft was about depth and the long term I don't see this draft to have anywhere near the immediate impact of last year's, but it makes the Chiefs better by providing depth and competition, particularly for Dline and RT.

That's the way I see it, anyway. 

You hit a key point when you posted "long term".  Veach is keeping his eye on potential losses through FA next year and the years beyond.  There's no way they can pay out second contracts to all their players who are starting now.  So that extra S or EDGE is building for 2024 and beyond.  Even Felix and Rice will probably not get  majority of the snaps.  Morris has to beat out Niang and Conner has to wait out a DB release.  Don't expect three or four starters as rookies out of every draft like last season.

12 hours ago, jetlord said:

Who or what were you hoping for?  

It's not necessarily a who..a what yea an LTOF would of been gettable. A TE in an undeniable once in a very very long time deep TE market confused me as well. TK aint getting any younger and the current backups certainly dont enthuse me.  I realize worse teams get the picks that is why I would of liked the Chiefs to go more quality than quantity but then it takes 2 to tango. 

We wont see what the benefits are or not until  many months and or a year or two. It's my uneducated non draft nerd knew jerk response so take it for what it's worth..not a danged thing.

The Eagles seemed to be able to draft some good players and saturating their roster with Georgia players is an interesting strategy. They are a well run organization and will be curious to how it all pans out.

The Raiders with first their 2 picks got much better and they are strongest at DE where the Chiefs until proven other wise are at their weakest. I think the Bolts improved greatly as well. Again an uneducated non draft nerd knee jerk response. 

The point is that Veach plays the long game hold's water and even I recognize that but to repeat since the Draft was in KC  and being a SB winner I'd of like to see Veach pull 1 rabbit out of his hat maybe he did and I didn't see it. 

Time will tell  

47 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It's not necessarily a who..a what yea an LTOF would of been gettable. A TE in an undeniable once in a very very long time deep TE market confused me as well. TK aint getting any younger and the current backups certainly dont enthuse me.  I realize worse teams get the picks that is why I would of liked the Chiefs to go more quality than quantity but then it takes 2 to tango. 

We wont see what the benefits are or not until  many months and or a year or two. It's my uneducated non draft nerd knew jerk response so take it for what it's worth..not a danged thing.

The Eagles seemed to be able to draft some good players and saturating their roster with Georgia players is an interesting strategy. They are a well run organization and will be curious to how it all pans out.

The Raiders with first their 2 picks got much better and they are strongest at DE where the Chiefs until proven other wise are at their weakest. I think the Bolts improved greatly as well. Again an uneducated non draft nerd knee jerk response. 

The point is that Veach plays the long game hold's water and even I recognize that but to repeat since the Draft was in KC  and being a SB winner I'd of like to see Veach pull 1 rabbit out of his hat maybe he did and I didn't see it. 

Time will tell  

Veach moved around a lot.  I think the only picks that he didn't trade out of were round one and the second round seven pick.  Started with 10 picks, only used 7.  So, some quality over quantity.  The move up for Conner was a head scratcher at the time, but the more I read up on him, and some of the twitter reaction from the draft pundits, it was considered a steal.  Special teams ace, that will potentially start after Reid and/or Edwards depart.

I was ok with the FAU pick.  Would have rather had Keion White, but in Veach I trust.  Loved the Rice and Morris picks.  Thompson and Coburn should get some snaps.  I admittedly don't know anything about Nic Jones.

1 hour ago, SEMO said:

Veach moved around a lot.  I think the only picks that he didn't trade out of were round one and the second round seven pick.  Started with 10 picks, only used 7.  So, some quality over quantity.  The move up for Conner was a head scratcher at the time, but the more I read up on him, and some of the twitter reaction from the draft pundits, it was considered a steal.  Special teams ace, that will potentially start after Reid and/or Edwards depart.

I was ok with the FAU pick.  Would have rather had Keion White, but in Veach I trust.  Loved the Rice and Morris picks.  Thompson and Coburn should get some snaps.  I admittedly don't know anything about Nic Jones.

I wonder how much of the FAU pick was Veach, or Spags. 

28 minutes ago, mex said:

I wonder how much of the FAU pick was Veach, or Spags. 

I would have rather had FAU than Keion White personally.  I like that he's a different kind of rusher than we've had.  Keion being so old and raw is not a great combo.  I love the athleticism but he needs a lot of development for a first rounder.  FAU is already stringing moves together, which is not common for a guy so young.

The other thing with White is his athleticism was maybe blown up a bit.  He tested elite at DT but not as well compared to DE.  He's a bit of a tweener.  Top is DT comparison, bottom is DE.

20230430_105407.jpg20230430_105401.jpg

Saw my guy Iosivas get taken by the bengals.  Honestly has anyone been better at drafting receivers than them?  Sounds weird to say but it's true.  Others may have recieving corps right up there with them but they didn't draft them all.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Saw my guy Iosivas get taken by the bengals.  Honestly has anyone been better at drafting receivers than them?  Sounds weird to say but it's true.  Others may have recieving corps right up there with them but they didn't draft them all.

fuckin' benglas

and Philly... their draft went like they finished 2-15 in 2022

Just now, mex said:

fuckin' benglas

and Philly... their draft went like they finished 2-15 in 2022

Twice the Eagles took a player the Chiefs probably wanted immediately before the Chiefs picked.  I was getting pretty excited when Nolan Smith dropped to #30 and thought Cullen might talk Spangs into grabbing him.  Eagles said "No".  Saw one site that showed the Chiefs as the eighth best draft and ahead of every other AFCW team.  Based on needs and position in the draft, I can't disagree.  Wish Tillman would have been taken rather than Rice, but Rice is more likely to replace JuJu when he learns the system.  Aside from that, I think the Chiefs did very well.  None of us will know for a few years.

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

I was getting pretty excited when Nolan Smith dropped to #30 and thought Cullen might talk Spangs into grabbing him.  Eagles said "No". 

And the kicker is, they didn't need DL help. This will come back to burn them.

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Wish Tillman would have been taken rather than Rice, but Rice is more likely to replace JuJu when he learns the system. 

I think Rice can be an IMMEDIATE JuJu. The kid can get separation and win contested balls. Really looking forward to seeing him learn the routes.

2 minutes ago, mex said:

I think Rice can be an IMMEDIATE JuJu. The kid can get separation and win contested balls. Really looking forward to seeing him learn the routes.

Well, he's not the most agile WR in the draft, but at least he's slow.  In Veach we trust.  

7 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Well, he's not the most agile WR in the draft, but at least he's slow.  In Veach we trust.  

Where do you get this? The dude is really good at separation which means he's got some twitch, and he's good at contested balls which means he's definitely athletic. 

15 minutes ago, mex said:

Where do you get this? The dude is really good at separation which means he's got some twitch, and he's good at contested balls which means he's definitely athletic. 

Mainly from Seth Keyser's film study of him and his combine times.  Yes, he's very good at contested balls and gets off the line well.  I didn't see exceptional separation or sharp cuts and he didn't have the speed to outrun many DBs in college.  He's probably a solid pick, but I don't see him as one who becomes a #1 receiver.  Hope I'm wrong.  Won't be the first time. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Mainly from Seth Keyser's film study of him and his combine times.  Yes, he's very good at contested balls and gets off the line well.  I didn't see exceptional separation or sharp cuts and he didn't have the speed to outrun many DBs in college.  He's probably a solid pick, but I don't see him as one who becomes a #1 receiver.  Hope I'm wrong.  Won't be the first time. 

He's the other great contested catch guy beside Cedric Tillman and he's got more juice and is more athletic than Tillman, and is ultimately more versatile in the types of routes he will be able to run in the NFL.

Some context for those combine times:

As well, I noticed of the three 2022 games Seth reviewed, he picked 2 that were arguably his worst 2 games of the season, however both those games (Navy, Cinci) were right after the turf toe injury where he was still playing while recovering.  All in all he played 9 games last season through the injury and still led the FBS in yards per game.  That's pretty tough.

I can see why he picked the Cinci game (lots of press) but overall there were better games to glean information from.

If he reaches his potential he could be a real weapon for us.