2023 NFL draft thread

3 hours ago, mex said:

Where would they find the money though?

The cap isn't real, my friend.  It's an illusion if you're smart, and Veach and Borgonzi are 2 of the best.  I would remind you at one point he did a whole offseason after starting it with no room under the cap and we didn't end up in cap hell cause of it.

11 hours ago, xen said:

Saw my guy Iosivas get taken by the bengals.  Honestly has anyone been better at drafting receivers than them?  Sounds weird to say but it's true.  Others may have recieving corps right up there with them but they didn't draft them all.

I mean they have used pick 5, 33, and 55 on their wr's.  Without that 5th overall pick they are a good wr corp but they aren't elite.  They do hit generally when they draft them though (again hard to miss on a talent like Chase though).   We have spent pick 55, 54, a third round trade and a middling FA in MVS.  Gotta spend some draft capital there if you want to have an elite group. Sucked that this years class was not as top talented as previous years.  Always seems to be that way for the Chiefs when we have actual draft ammo.  I hope Rice pans out if not we may need to re-evaluate how we are scouting wr's.   Moore really needs to take a good step this year and even if he does this groups ceiling is based largely on the health of a very brittle wr.  

21 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I mean they have used pick 5, 33, and 55 on their wr's.  Without that 5th overall pick they are a good wr corp but they aren't elite.  They do hit generally when they draft them though (again hard to miss on a talent like Chase though).   We have spent pick 55, 54, a third round trade and a middling FA in MVS.  Gotta spend some draft capital there if you want to have an elite group. Sucked that this years class was not as top talented as previous years.  Always seems to be that way for the Chiefs when we have actual draft ammo.  I hope Rice pans out if not we may need to re-evaluate how we are scouting wr's.   Moore really needs to take a good step this year and even if he does this groups ceiling is based largely on the health of a very brittle wr.  

It's easy to miss on a high WR.  Just ask Detroit.  And you still have to make the call as a GM.  Those WRs have put Burrow in the conversation for great NFL qbs.  If he had Patrick's wr Corp last year they'd have been sub 500.  They make him, not the other way around.  Higgins would be a 1 on many other teams, including ours.

I wasn't throwing shade at our WR corps.  They have a lot of promise and the future looks bright, but credit where it's due.

44 minutes ago, xen said:

It's easy to miss on a high WR.  Just ask Detroit.  And you still have to make the call as a GM.  Those WRs have put Burrow in the conversation for great NFL qbs.  If he had Patrick's wr Corp last year they'd have been sub 500.  They make him, not the other way around.  Higgins would be a 1 on many other teams, including ours.

I wasn't throwing shade at our WR corps.  They have a lot of promise and the future looks bright, but credit where it's due.

Absolutely.  Just saying they have invested and hit and its paying off.  I hope we don't expect Mahomes to make chicken salad out of chicken crap year in and year out because he is capable.  Get this man some help and I think we have started to do that with a young group of wr's that hopefully develop into above avg wrs.    With a chance to be back to back Super Bowl winners hope we don't fall short because our wr's room just wasn't talented enough.   I like who we have as well but as you said they aren't in the Bengals league.  The Steelers for a long time drafted WR's as well.  I wonder if our complex system makes it hard to find and even develop young guys.  Hard to tell though when we haven't made much of an investment in wr before 2022.

17 hours ago, mex said:

Where do you get this? The dude is really good at separation which means he's got some twitch, and he's good at contested balls which means he's definitely athletic. 

I saw a few reports that's he's lousy at separation and that's why he's so good at contesting balls. His inability to get separation is his big drawback. 

I never saw him play, but that's what the gurus on TV told me. 

23 minutes ago, mex said:

I must be sleepy this morning, because this doesn't make sense. 

Did you mean because he hasn't been signed, he won't be too costly?

lol I thought the same thing but I hadn't got my coffee in me yet so I let it go

51 minutes ago, Nadlers Quivering Balls said:

I saw a few reports that's he's lousy at separation and that's why he's so good at contesting balls. His inability to get separation is his big drawback. 

I never saw him play, but that's what the gurus on TV told me. 

I mean he's not that small, quick twitch guy but he's not lousy at separation.  Typically he'll get quick separation on short or intermediate routes which shows in his explosionmetrics. On longer routes, i saw corners get back in phase on him but he did show a knack for getting separation late in the route and when he doesn't he consistently came down with contested catches.  Like very very consistently.  I'd put him right up there with Tillman as a my ball guy.

A lot of it comes down to learning how to run routes which is always an issue with these spread receivers coming out of college.  Their route tree is so simplified you almost have to start from scratch with learning the nuances of routes, as most of the time they are taught to just run to a spot.

That said, he did show more route moves than many spread receivers and had some subtlety to some of his routes that was really encouraging.  Saw some wicked fakes in there at full speed that twisted the corner up and led to easy catches.

12 minutes ago, xen said:

I mean he's not that small, quick twitch guy but he's not lousy at separation.  Typically he'll get quick separation on short or intermediate routes which shows in his explosionmetrics. On longer routes, i saw corners get back in phase on him but he did show a knack for getting separation late in the route and when he doesn't he consistently came down with contested catches.  Like very very consistently.  I'd put him right up there with Tillman as a my ball guy.

A lot of it comes down to learning how to run routes which is always an issue with these spread receivers coming out of college.  Their route tree is so simplified you almost have to start from scratch with learning the nuances of routes, as most of the time they are taught to just run to a spot.

That said, he did show more route moves than many spread receivers and had some subtlety to some of his routes that was really encouraging.  Saw some wicked fakes in there at full speed that twisted the corner up and led to easy catches.

You used more big words and jargon than the guys on youtube, so I'll go with your analysis. 

If he's good enough for Pat to want him, he's good enough for me. I'm pumped about him. I think he contributes early and often next year. 

The thing(s)  that Pat has that no other QB has is situational awareness coupled with Field Vision....He gives himself an extra second on passes and then knows exactly where to go with the ball.....

The thing that makes Kelce so good is situational awareness.  He is not the fastest TE but he knows exactly where to be on each play AS IT EVOLVES.....that is why Mahomes and Kelce are unstoppable.

The question is which 2023 KC WR can best exploit this phenomenon? 

6 hours ago, West said:

I think #10 is a threat at this point.  That guy is a physical RB.

I would love to get Jet back.

w

I'm not sure why AZ doesn't like him other than late round pick bias.  For a kid learning on the fly he showed amazing growth in patience running behind his blockers (his biggest weakness coming out of college) and was killing it as the year went on.  Fans should be excited to watch his growth.

16 minutes ago, xen said:

I'm not sure why AZ doesn't like him other than late round pick bias.  For a kid learning on the fly he showed amazing growth in patience running behind his blockers (his biggest weakness coming out of college) and was killing it as the year went on.  Fans should be excited to watch his growth.

"I'm not sure why AZ doesn't like him other than late round pick bias." That's bullshit. I loved Priest Holmes and he was an UDFA and a steal in our acquisition. Big fan of 7th round pick Kevin Ross as well

I've never said I don't like him. I admire what he's done and appreciate what he did BECAUSE he was a late round pick. Now that he's still our RB1, I'll cheer him on as any other Chief. My point is this, he runs a 4.37 but had 170 carries and no 40+ runs. Only (3) 20+ runs. 3. He doesn't show RB instincts, very little movement in/at the hole. If he doesn't have a gaping hole, he really doesn't create any yardage for himself. You guys act like I hate the guy. I just want to upgrade a position. I've mentioned all this before. 

35 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

"I'm not sure why AZ doesn't like him other than late round pick bias." That's bullshit. I loved Priest Holmes and he was an UDFA and a steal in our acquisition. Big fan of 7th round pick Kevin Ross as well

I've never said I don't like him. I admire what he's done and appreciate what he did BECAUSE he was a late round pick. Now that he's still our RB1, I'll cheer him on as any other Chief. My point is this, he runs a 4.37 but had 170 carries and no 40+ runs. Only (3) 20+ runs. 3. He doesn't show RB instincts, very little movement in/at the hole. If he doesn't have a gaping hole, he really doesn't create any yardage for himself. You guys act like I hate the guy. I just want to upgrade a position. I've mentioned all this before. 

I don't know about all that, but your allergies seem to have cleared up. 

35 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Hope we see growth in 10's game. Now that he has a real Oline to run behind, I would like to see more patience, improved vision, and more elusiveness in the open field instead of running violent all the time. 

2 hours ago, azchief21 said:

Pacheco, McKinnon, and CEH are okay for what the Chiefs do.  Don't be surprised if they add another FA after the post draft cuts.  Upgrading would be fine, but it's not a priority like WR and the lines.  They may give it more emphasis next year with CEH leaving.  

4 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Pacheco, McKinnon, and CEH are okay for what the Chiefs do.  Don't be surprised if they add another FA after the post draft cuts.  Upgrading would be fine, but it's not a priority like WR and the lines.  They may give it more emphasis next year with CEH leaving.  

Yep they're okay. 

Just now, azchief21 said:

Yep they're okay. 

When a team has the #1 passing attack and a defense on the upswing, okay is enough in the running game.  The big concern is getting that yard on third or fourth down.  Fix that and the run game is all it needs to be in the Mahomes era. 

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

When a team has the #1 passing attack and a defense on the upswing, okay is enough in the running game.  The big concern is getting that yard on third or fourth down.  Fix that and the run game is all it needs to be in the Mahomes era. 

or on the goal line

13 hours ago, azchief21 said:

A lot of that is scheme.  RPOs, running outside zone from shotgun, shit like that.  I wish they would just line up in the "I" and run it sometimes.  Pacheco is more of a one cut and go, type back.  He needs to build up steam.  

I am not a fan of the RPO.

JMO