Overall Post Draft Feeling....

16 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I still question why they gave so much to get Rice, but they saw a fit and went for it. 

They liked what they saw on film, invited him to a top 30 visit... obviously liked his workout and interviews. Plus, didn't he play with Buechele? Maybe there was some experienced feedback there. 

2 hours ago, mex said:

First 3 picks immediate starters, day 3 picks getting some steals.

Not sure why the A 'minus' because... what's a SB champ supposed to do? We literally had the last pick in the first three rounds, and had to trade up in the second.

I don't think the first 3 picks are immediate starters, at least this year.  Omenihu will likely start and FAU will get the pass rush situational snaps.  Wanya may find it tough to displace Niang if he's healthy, though long term I like Wanya better.  And history is not on Rice's side to starting year 1.  Expect the same limited year 1 snaps Andy gave the last few 2nd round receivers.

FAU and Rice should get meaningful snaps though and hopefully be ready for next year.  Wanya I think can clean up his technical issues on the scout team and be ready for next year.  Conner will play ST so that should be a nice route to getting some snaps on D.

26 minutes ago, xen said:

I don't think the first 3 picks are immediate starters, at least this year.  Omenihu will likely start and FAU will get the pass rush situational snaps.  Wanya may find it tough to displace Niang if he's healthy, though long term I like Wanya better.  And history is not on Rice's side to starting year 1.  Expect the same limited year 1 snaps Andy gave the last few 2nd round receivers.

FAU and Rice should get meaningful snaps though and hopefully be ready for next year.  Wanya I think can clean up his technical issues on the scout team and be ready for next year.  Conner will play ST so that should be a nice route to getting some snaps on D.

Solid draft.  Nothing fancy but really solid with the potential to be really good.

Going through the picks, their highlights, and listening to their interviews with the KC media, the theme I noticed is how many of them can play multiple positions - and have been doing so for many years.

Smart, athletic, position-flexible players across the board. Can't wait to see how this all shakes out at training camp. 

1 hour ago, xen said:

I don't think the first 3 picks are immediate starters, at least this year. 

Yeah I meant to say immediate contributors… I’m pretty sure they’ll all make their presence known. Really looking forward to seeing how much of an impact they’ll bring… and not just on STs

Meh. I'm okay with it.

R1 Felix Anudike-Uzomah, DE, K-State. 

I feel good about this pick. It's not the guy I preferred, I liked Isaiah Foskey more, but I'm not at all disappointed with the player. I don't think there were too many guys on the board right here that made me scratch my head except for what went down with Jalin Hyatt. I have no clue what tanked his stock but it wasn't skill, that much is an absolute. 

R2 Rashee Rice, WR, SMU

So, I undoubtedly have had a love-affair with Rice all offseason but not at all the same love affair I had with Jalin Hyatt. I'm perplexed. Some major character or medical flag is waiving there and it's highly disappointing because, if I'm being honest, I thought Hyatt was the much better scheme fit and the much more talented player. All that said, I do love Rice so its all moot.

R3 Wanya Morris, OT, Oklahoma

So, I liked Morris all offseason quite a bit but I fell off him hard the last month or so when reports were circling that he's not that smart. That's fine and all but how long is it going to take him to pick up the necessary coaching he desperately needs to fix his technique? I don't feel like he will be able to be a positive contributor in year one if he doesn't fix it. We'll have to see. I also wasn't really day 2 high on this kid. I felt like he was more of a 4th round pick, but considering what Veach did in round 4 I'll take it. I am sitting here wondering, just a little, if reaching a tad for an OT was the right move with some other players out there like Warren, Freeland, and Duncan that you might snag on Day 3 and taking a pass on Siaki Ika. In any event, if he puts it all together he could be quite a gem at RT.

R4 Chamarri Conner, S, Virginia Tech

Yeah, count me WAY the fuck out on this gem. Not only did I think he was a Round 7/PFA type of player because he takes terrible angles and can't cover WRs (see as a fucking STs guy), but Veach spent not one but two day 2 picks to get this kid. Atrocious. Absolutely fucking atrocious. This kid better ball out and make me eat these words because this pick looks absolutely horrendous right now. Veach should have been looking at his abysmal DT situation right here with great prospects sitting there like Cameron Young and Jaquelin Roy instead of taking a 5th fucking safety. And if you're going to go with a DB right there, then how in the fuck were Darius Rush, Jay Ward, or Jammie Robinson not higher-ranked players on your board?  I turned the TV off and took a nap after this special.

R5 BJ Thompson, DE, Stephen F. Austin

I get taking a project at DE that has some great athletic tools but the guy is rail thin and is going to need a couple of years to really reach his peak physical size. I'd get it a lot more if you do this a bit later though. I'm not convinced, even in the 5th round, that this is a tremendous value. He's, at best, a very situational player for KC right now. I felt a RB like Eric Gray would have been a really great pick. I'm not thoroughly disappointed because his next pick makes up a bit for this one.

R6 Keondre Coburn, DT, Texas

I thought maybe Coburn would go a tad higher than this but I'm not sure if he was pick 166 high for me. At least it somewhat washes the stink off of taking Thompson at 166 but I still look at that pick in R4 and figure this pick could have gone someplace else, like maybe to a pass-rushing DT or even doubling up with Coburn would have been great.

R7 Nic Jones, CB Ball State

Hard to really knock on a 7th round pick, ever, and I'm pretty good with Nic Jones. He was on my sleepers list and I thought he could be a nice developmental pickup at this stage of the game. I'm honestly surprised that Veach didn't go for Desjuan Johnson here though given our need to replace Wharton next year and our overall lack of any quality DT depth, so again I'm left feeling like Veach could have done at least a bit better.

I hate to give it a grade but if I am then it's a solid C from me. I really didn't like day 3 and that really soured it for me. I do think Veach has a chance to hit on 4/7 picks but I wouldn't be surprised if it's only 3/7. I'm most high on FAU, Rice, Morris, and Coburn as those potential 4. 

We can sit and pick all we like but truthfully it boils down to "has Veach done enough to earn our trust?" The obvious answer is yes. 

It's funny....I was reading all the draft grades from all the different sports sites. There really is very little consistency in player evaluations. Pete Prisco loves Rice but hated the FAU pick. Another writer loved FAU but didn't like Rice. I believe the Chiefs have one of the best organizations when it comes to scouting and getting players who fit. Let's not forget...a lot of analysts gave the pick of one Patrick Lavon Mahomes a C- grade. I love that one guy said, "If I'm wrong I'm going to look stupid." Indeed.

35 minutes ago, dhitter said:

We can sit and pick all we like but truthfully it boils down to "has Veach done enough to earn our trust?" The obvious answer is yes. 

It's funny....I was reading all the draft grades from all the different sports sites. There really is very little consistency in player evaluations. Pete Prisco loves Rice but hated the FAU pick. Another writer loved FAU but didn't like Rice. I believe the Chiefs have one of the best organizations when it comes to scouting and getting players who fit. Let's not forget...a lot of analysts gave the pick of one Patrick Lavon Mahomes a C- grade. I love that one guy said, "If I'm wrong I'm going to look stupid." Indeed.

I don't especially subscribe to the theory you describe. Veach is a good GM but he's not without his failures. And while he's done a lot of good or even great, the nucleus of this team, and a large portion of the roster that won our first Super Bowl, was built by John Dorsey. 

Undoubtedly, Veach has had his hand in some great moves. He's had one stellar draft (last year's) and I'd argue in favor of that being the entire reason we won the whole thing last year. So with all that, I don't have to hail every pick he makes as the greatest ever. We can point to some pretty severe misfires and a couple of these picks look similar. He hasn't had a 100% hit rate and he won't ever have one. Let's keep it real.

There is reason for a lot of optimism with a few of these picks and then there is reason for significant questions on a few. It's not about the individuality of the moves he makes, it's about the collective sum, and that is where I trust Veach most.

5 hours ago, kccrow said:

Meh. I'm okay with it.

R1 Felix Anudike-Uzomah, DE, K-State. 

I feel good about this pick. It's not the guy I preferred, I liked Isaiah Foskey more, but I'm not at all disappointed with the player. I don't think there were too many guys on the board right here that made me scratch my head except for what went down with Jalin Hyatt. I have no clue what tanked his stock but it wasn't skill, that much is an absolute. 

R2 Rashee Rice, WR, SMU

So, I undoubtedly have had a love-affair with Rice all offseason but not at all the same love affair I had with Jalin Hyatt. I'm perplexed. Some major character or medical flag is waiving there and it's highly disappointing because, if I'm being honest, I thought Hyatt was the much better scheme fit and the much more talented player. All that said, I do love Rice so its all moot.

R3 Wanya Morris, OT, Oklahoma

So, I liked Morris all offseason quite a bit but I fell off him hard the last month or so when reports were circling that he's not that smart. That's fine and all but how long is it going to take him to pick up the necessary coaching he desperately needs to fix his technique? I don't feel like he will be able to be a positive contributor in year one if he doesn't fix it. We'll have to see. I also wasn't really day 2 high on this kid. I felt like he was more of a 4th round pick, but considering what Veach did in round 4 I'll take it. I am sitting here wondering, just a little, if reaching a tad for an OT was the right move with some other players out there like Warren, Freeland, and Duncan that you might snag on Day 3 and taking a pass on Siaki Ika. In any event, if he puts it all together he could be quite a gem at RT.

R4 Chamarri Conner, S, Virginia Tech

Yeah, count me WAY the fuck out on this gem. Not only did I think he was a Round 7/PFA type of player because he takes terrible angles and can't cover WRs (see as a fucking STs guy), but Veach spent not one but two day 2 picks to get this kid. Atrocious. Absolutely fucking atrocious. This kid better ball out and make me eat these words because this pick looks absolutely horrendous right now. Veach should have been looking at his abysmal DT situation right here with great prospects sitting there like Cameron Young and Jaquelin Roy instead of taking a 5th fucking safety. And if you're going to go with a DB right there, then how in the fuck were Darius Rush, Jay Ward, or Jammie Robinson not higher-ranked players on your board?  I turned the TV off and took a nap after this special.

R5 BJ Thompson, DE, Stephen F. Austin

I get taking a project at DE that has some great athletic tools but the guy is rail thin and is going to need a couple of years to really reach his peak physical size. I'd get it a lot more if you do this a bit later though. I'm not convinced, even in the 5th round, that this is a tremendous value. He's, at best, a very situational player for KC right now. I felt a RB like Eric Gray would have been a really great pick. I'm not thoroughly disappointed because his next pick makes up a bit for this one.

R6 Keondre Coburn, DT, Texas

I thought maybe Coburn would go a tad higher than this but I'm not sure if he was pick 166 high for me. At least it somewhat washes the stink off of taking Thompson at 166 but I still look at that pick in R4 and figure this pick could have gone someplace else, like maybe to a pass-rushing DT or even doubling up with Coburn would have been great.

R7 Nic Jones, CB Ball State

Hard to really knock on a 7th round pick, ever, and I'm pretty good with Nic Jones. He was on my sleepers list and I thought he could be a nice developmental pickup at this stage of the game. I'm honestly surprised that Veach didn't go for Desjuan Johnson here though given our need to replace Wharton next year and our overall lack of any quality DT depth, so again I'm left feeling like Veach could have done at least a bit better.

I hate to give it a grade but if I am then it's a solid C from me. I really didn't like day 3 and that really soured it for me. I do think Veach has a chance to hit on 4/7 picks but I wouldn't be surprised if it's only 3/7. I'm most high on FAU, Rice, Morris, and Coburn as those potential 4. 

Rd 1..agreed but was hoping for either of the Domers but I'm a Homer

Rd2..Hyatt maybe he's just to thin and they think he has reached his ceiling?  I was not all that impressed.  I hope Rice pans out

Rd3.. yea thought there where better OT's left out there

Rd4 & 5..WTF's the Man fro SFA is  what 26?..he'sa s big as he'll be getting Rd 5 is a bit early for  a "project" that it'll be doubtful ever sees a 2nd contract.

Rd 6-7 got no opinion but woulda like to see Vaughn Picked up

I think maybe your overall criticism of Veach is a little harsh but  I give it a C.

In Veach I trust and since I'm no draft nerd WTF do I know?

They obviously see something more in Conner.  I don't think he was a round 7/udfa prospect, but he was probably taken 1-2 rounds sooner than projected.  But, projections outside of round one, are usually crap anyway.  Most pundits had Duncan as a 2-3 round pick.  He went in 6.  Washington was a potential round one pick.  He goes end of round 3.  Hyatt, round 1-2, goes in 3.  etc.

3 hours ago, kccrow said:

I don't especially subscribe to the theory you describe. Veach is a good GM but he's not without his failures. And while he's done a lot of good or even great, the nucleus of this team, and a large portion of the roster that won our first Super Bowl, was built by John Dorsey. 

Undoubtedly, Veach has had his hand in some great moves. He's had one stellar draft (last year's) and I'd argue in favor of that being the entire reason we won the whole thing last year. So with all that, I don't have to hail every pick he makes as the greatest ever. We can point to some pretty severe misfires and a couple of these picks look similar. He hasn't had a 100% hit rate and he won't ever have one. Let's keep it real.

There is reason for a lot of optimism with a few of these picks and then there is reason for significant questions on a few. It's not about the individuality of the moves he makes, it's about the collective sum, and that is where I trust Veach most.

I think you offered a counterpoint based on a faulty assumption. Where did I say Veach was flawless? I said he had done "enough". If you disagree with that then it is what it is. We all know about Breeland Speaks. Frankly, I chalk that up to a new GM who had to learn the hard way. I don't think Veach approaches the draft today the same as he did in year one....do you? And as far as John Dorsey goes....yes he deserves credit. But from most interviews I've seen it was Veach who tirelessly lobbied for Mahomes. That in and of itself makes his resume.

18 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I think you offered a counterpoint based on a faulty assumption. Where did I say Veach was flawless? I said he had done "enough". If you disagree with that then it is what it is. We all know about Breeland Speaks. Frankly, I chalk that up to a new GM who had to learn the hard way. I don't think Veach approaches the draft today the same as he did in year one....do you? And as far as John Dorsey goes....yes he deserves credit. But from most interviews I've seen it was Veach who tirelessly lobbied for Mahomes. That in and of itself makes his resume.

I tirelessly lobbied for Mahomes for a year too, do I get a cookie? Dorsey drafted Mahomes, Kelce, and Jones, pretty much end of the story there. He has many more misses than Speaks.

Lets look at some questionable or whiffs...

4-Kaindoh - whiff
5-Powell - whiff
1-Edwards-Helaire - whiff
3-Niang - jury is out
7-Keyes - whiff (not that I care)
2-Hardman - not great for a 2nd round pick
3-Saunders - sucked ass until his final season
6-Fenton - was pretty shit if we're honest but eh, he was here
6-Thompson - whiff
2-Speaks - whiff
3-O'Daniel - whiff you need better than STs in the 3rd round
4-Watts - again, should be getting more from a 4th round safety than STs
6-Tremon Smith - whiff
6-McKenzie - whiff

Can't be too excited yet about Skyy Moore, Bryan Cook, Josh Wiliams, Darian Kinnard and Nazeeh Johnson so we'll see what happens there. I was pretty high on all but Williams.

So lets look at hits

2-Bolton
2-Humphrey
5-Gray hes' part-time decent
6-Smith - to be fair he was a 1st round grade until the heart issue
2-Gay - pretty marginal for a 2nd rounder
4-Sneed
5-Danna
2-Thornhill
7-Allegretti good depth for a late guy
3-Nnadi at least until last season

The so far so good
1-Karlaftis
1-McDuffie
3-Chenal
7-Watson
7-Pacheco

As I said, he's not infallible when it comes to the draft. He put a lot together in FA that were pretty good players to help offset and that I give him more kudos for than anything. 

I shouldn't have had to do this to say I can question his draft picks.

17 minutes ago, kccrow said:

I tirelessly lobbied for Mahomes for a year too, do I get a cookie? Dorsey drafted Mahomes, Kelce, and Jones, pretty much end of the story there. He has many more misses than Speaks.

4-Kaindoh - whiff
5-Powell - whiff
3-Niang - jury is out
6-Thompson - whiff
2-Speaks - whiff
6-Tremon Smith - whiff
6-McKenzie - whiff

Can't be too excited yet about Skyy Moore, Bryan Cook, Josh Wiliams, Darian Kinnard and Nazeeh Johnson so we'll see what happens there. I was pretty high on all but Williams.

So lets look at hits

2-Bolton
2-Humphrey
4-Sneed
5-Danna
2-Thornhill

The so far so good
1-Karlaftis
1-McDuffie
3-Chenal
7-Watson
7-Pacheco

As I said, he's not infallible when it comes to the draft. He put a lot together in FA that were pretty good players to help offset and that I give him more kudos for than anything. 

No one said anything about questioning draft picks. There are many picks I didn't like. Many picks don't pan out  By the way...  that's true of every GM...every team. My premise was he had done enough good things (especially the last two drafts) that I thought he earned a level of trust at least until these picks don't pan out if that's the case. If most of them flop feel free to rub my nose in it if you like.

5 minutes ago, dhitter said:

No one said anything about questioning draft picks. There are many picks I didn't like. Many picks don't pan out  By the way...  that's true of every GM...every team. My premise was he had done enough good things (especially the last two drafts) that I thought he earned a level of trust at least until these picks don't pan out if that's the case. If most of them flop feel free to rub my nose in it if you like.

The interpretation I make when so many fans talk about giving Veach the benefit of the doubt, especially when it comes to his drafts, is that we should never question anything he does. He has done great things, so I'm not saying that he's some chump or anything absolutely stupid. I think he's done good things again this year. That doesn't mean I think all the things are great. Sometimes I'll be right about it, sometimes I won't. I'm usually more wrong on guys I give him the major benefit on than I am the guys I significantly question. I'd like to think that's pretty fair. I thought he made some good picks this year and one of them, Rice, I was extremely high on. Maybe Veach will prove ME wrong and I'll eat my words. Maybe we'll all be wrong about someone and we're left scratching our heads. At the end of the day though, I think it's just as unreasonable to question nothing as it is to question too much.

What are my major questions? A 4th and 5th round pick, his absolute lack of addressing the DT position adequately so far, and blind faith in a career RT (who has one good season in his career) being an above-average LT (again). That's not a whole lot of bitching. 

1 hour ago, kccrow said:

4-Kaindoh - whiff
5-Powell - whiff
3-Niang - jury is out
6-Thompson - whiff
2-Speaks - whiff
6-Tremon Smith - whiff
6-McKenzie - whiff

So lets look at hits

2-Bolton
2-Humphrey
4-Sneed
5-Danna
2-Thornhill

The so far so good
1-Karlaftis
1-McDuffie
3-Chenal
7-Watson
7-Pacheco

Only one I disagree with is probably cook. It’s clear to me he’s gonna be a good one. TBD. Can’t argue with the rest 

2 hours ago, kccrow said:

4-Kaindoh - whiff
5-Powell - whiff
3-Niang - jury is out
6-Thompson - whiff
2-Speaks - whiff
6-Tremon Smith - whiff
6-McKenzie - whiff

So lets look at hits

2-Bolton
2-Humphrey
4-Sneed
5-Danna
2-Thornhill

The so far so good
1-Karlaftis
1-McDuffie
3-Chenal
7-Watson
7-Pacheco

If this is about Veach and his drafting record, then it should be pointed out that every draft he is picking at or near the end of each round.  So comparing his second round (for example) picks with an average GM is a little slanted.  Easy to get a starting OT at the top or round one.  Tough at #31.  Want a WR in round two?  Gotta trade up to get him if you're picking at #63.  Veach, like all GMs, has made his share of whiffs but drafting at the end of every round is more difficult.  

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

If this is about Veach and his drafting record, then it should be pointed out that every draft he is picking at or near the end of each round.  So comparing his second round (for example) picks with an average GM is a little slanted.  Easy to get a starting OT at the top or round one.  Tough at #31.  Want a WR in round two?  Gotta trade up to get him if you're picking at #63.  Veach, like all GMs, has made his share of whiffs but drafting at the end of every round is more difficult.  

I'm not comparing him to other GMs. I'm reinforcing the fact that I have the right to call a pick dogshit, and if he proves me wrong great. He traded up into the upper half of the 4th round for a player that looks like dogshit to me. I'm calling it as I see it. He failed, hard, in addressing the biggest weakness on the roster. I'm calling that as I see it. The last really talented option at NT on the free agent market was just announced to be signing in Buffalo. So, it is what it is. I have faith in Veach but he doesn't hit em all my friends.

Veach brought in an UDFA today that could have a very serious chance at making the roster at DT after all my bitchin' and moanin'.

Demarcus *** I enjoy butt stuff *** out of Indiana. Pretty solid player the past couple of seasons.