Overall Post Draft Feeling....

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

True enough. But no way limited scouting could account for all the injuries that occured. Crazy stuff 

Possibly another aspect of the lockdowns.  What kind of shape were guys in after sitting around playing video games?  Not that they were not working out some, but I am sure it was limited.

25 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Possibly another aspect of the lockdowns.  What kind of shape were guys in after sitting around playing video games?  Not that they were not working out some, but I am sure it was limited.

I guess next year will be a tell tale year as if this is a 1 off or a new trend.

I dont remember but you'd think that the Teams lobbied for this option during the last negotiations so they'd want to be able to use it but 20 out of 32 picks seems a bit odd even if what you speculate is true

12 hours ago, SEMO said:

A lot of that also had to do with very limited scouting that year due to the lockdowns.

Maybe I've got my years mixed up, but didn't the lockdowns start during the spring of 2020?  Most of the scouting would have been completed by then.  My theory is that the draft is such guesswork that even the first round isn't a guarantee of getting a player worth paying big bucks down the road.  Some years are better than others, but it's probably random. 

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Maybe I've got my years mixed up, but didn't the lockdowns start during the spring of 2020?  Most of the scouting would have been completed by then.  My theory is that the draft is such guesswork that even the first round isn't a guarantee of getting a player worth paying big bucks down the road.  Some years are better than others, but it's probably random. 

Scouting can be done on film... but the lockdowns started in early March IIRC and that would have put the whammy to top 30 visits, interviews, and workouts. I'm certain it had an affect, not sure how much though.

1 minute ago, mex said:

Scouting can be done on film... but the lockdowns started in early March IIRC and that would have put the whammy to top 30 visits, interviews, and workouts. I'm certain it had an affect, not sure how much though.

You're probably correct.  I assumed that most of the scouting and evaluations were done soon after the senior bowl week and the combine.  Forgot about the 30 visits.  

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I guess next year will be a tell tale year as if this is a 1 off or a new trend.

I dont remember but you'd think that the Teams lobbied for this option during the last negotiations so they'd want to be able to use it but 20 out of 32 picks seems a bit odd even if what you speculate is true

Probably just a one off.  Remember 2013 draft class.  Only 4 of the 32 first rounders played last year.  If the 5th year option was a thing then can't imagine many of would have been offered it. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

MEX, AS USUAL, IS PERFECTLY CORRECT!

Suitable for framing. 

Hey @azchief21 can you work some of your meme magic with the above? I mean, if I'm gonna do it, might as well do it right.

On 5/4/2023 at 11:40 PM, Lamardirts said:

Remember how every pundit thought Isaiah Simmons was the next great defensive player and would transform the L.  Like you said all drafts are crapshoots.  

He's still a good player. Good LB in coverage and a 100-tackle guy. Not "elite" but he's better than Devondre Campbell and that's pretty damn solid for a WLB type.