I may have to eat a Crow McNugget on this guy.  He grows on me.  He seems to find the right gap and make a play.  

He may not be starter quality.  But he is the "fine depth" some chirp about and I scoff.

FU Bil

Not sure he has a job when he comes back.  Joe Mays is not that a good a player.

He's better than Mauga.

Mauga's playing ability lacks instincts. He waits and hesitates way too much. Now, that could be due to his lack of playing experience, but whatever it is, he is always out of position on running plays.

He waits too long to react or diagnose the play. As soon as does recognize what's going on, it's too late. He's either out of position to make a play, or blocked.

The only time I've seen him make plays is when he blitzes...which requires little thinking/instincts.

Can't wait for Mays to return. I think our run defense will get a little better.

I am with you Artsy, i can not wait to get Mays back as well.

Competition and fresh bodies will only help.

w

I like Mays, also. We have done very well with DJ out, but there have been some moments when we have been gashed a bit by the run game. Mays will help that. Man, the experience these backups have gotten has really given the team (and fans) a sense of calm and confidence in the face of injuries. I know it has done that for me. When a team can play with less fear of the consequence of a major injury, it can play with more abandon and aggressiveness. It can really snowball. And your point about competition in practices and in camp is so true.

Bob Sutton caught some grief when the defense faltered last year. He needs to get some credit for the job they are doing considering the injuries to players.

If he simply would have benched Lewis things would have been monumentally different. And we wouldn't have lost to Indy. Lewis was a shit heap.

Just another example of how bad PFF is...Or maybe how bad the ILB position is in the league this year..

If he is the 12th, then DJ would've been all world this season.

Nonetheless, it appears that more playing time will benefit him. LB is a tough position, becuase if you're not an elite athelete, a bad decision can have serious impacts. Maybe once he get's more experience and feels better with the speed of the game, he'll get better.

I just hope he starts to pick it up sooner than later. I've noticed a lot of big runs on our defense has been becuase he has been out of position. That hesitation he has trying to disect the play usually results in a big run.

Mauga is playing well and getting better.  I like JMJs speed, but Mauga has been where he needs to be.  I think he has our played JMJ the last few games.  We have the #3 defense in the league.  I am not sure I would start Mays.  Berry yes, but I would let the youngsters work.

Sutton is a very good DC. 

Bob Sutton caught some grief when the defense faltered last year. He needs to get some credit for the job they are doing considering the injuries to players. 

Guilty.  The defense has played great.  It ain't by accident.  I have to drop the mocking "Shallow Hal" -- for now.  ;)

Archived