The best moves Veach could still make in Free Agency

DT Matt Ioannidis - Proven to be a solid starter in both Washington and Carolina. Has a bit of juice in the pass rush at times. Would be a really nice rotational 3-tech here and could play next to Jones on passing downs at times.

FB Derek Watt - If Andy Reid remains committed to having a FB then Watt is a pretty good option. He's a solid blocker and good on special teams. 

RB Dontrell Hilliard - If somehow McKinnon isn't retained, I think the speed and receiving ability that Hilliard has flashed during his career would be a nice compliment. He's also a quality returner. I wouldn't mind at least bringing him in to try to stash on the PS.

OT George Fant - He's no less than a high-end reserve and would likely start at RT right now. He can play LT as well which adds a ton of value.

DE Dawuane Smoot - He's just a solid DE. Not a superstar but he's been a 5-6 sack guy and I think he would flourish in a good rotation like KC would offer.

What do you guys have?

3 hours ago, kccrow said:

DT Matt Ioannidis - Proven to be a solid starter in both Washington and Carolina. Has a bit of juice in the pass rush at times. Would be a really nice rotational 3-tech here and could play next to Jones on passing downs at times.

FB Derek Watt - If Andy Reid remains committed to having a FB then Watt is a pretty good option. He's a solid blocker and good on special teams. 

RB Dontrell Hilliard - If somehow McKinnon isn't retained, I think the speed and receiving ability that Hilliard has flashed during his career would be a nice compliment. He's also a quality returner. I wouldn't mind at least bringing him in to try to stash on the PS.

OT George Fant - He's no less than a high-end reserve and would likely start at RT right now. He can play LT as well which adds a ton of value.

DE Dawuane Smoot - He's just a solid DE. Not a superstar but he's been a 5-6 sack guy and I think he would flourish in a good rotation like KC would offer.

What do you guys have?

Not sure but McKinnon resigned.

3 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

What about DE Yannick Ngakoue? The guy's had 9.5 and 10 sack seasons back to back. It's interesting though, he seems to change teams every year. He's been with 5 teams in the last 5 years. Maybe a locker room problem

It's my understanding that the people that spell the jerseys have asked him to leave.  

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Wouldn't mind taking a look at the DT.  It's hard to judge the Chiefs' needs there since they move guys around so much and use Jones on the outside in their NASCAR package. 

Now that the DE position has been better addressed, I think we're going to see much less of that. Jones is best inside to top it off. I kinda cringe when they move him out to end. 

41 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

What about DE Yannick Ngakoue? The guy's had 9.5 and 10 sack seasons back to back. It's interesting though, he seems to change teams every year. He's been with 5 teams in the last 5 years. Maybe a locker room problem

i think our guys could keep him straight

15 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

i think our guys could keep him straight

The Raiders, who had no business getting rid of anyone on their D-Line, traded him to Indy for Rock Ya Sin... I like the player but that's a guy you have to think has some issues.

42 minutes ago, kccrow said:

Now that the DE position has been better addressed, I think we're going to see much less of that. Jones is best inside to top it off. I kinda cringe when they move him out to end. 

Not sure why, its what allowed him to up his sack total last year.  It wasn't great the year before last when they were experimenting with it but last year it was very effective when they used CJ at end as they were targeted specific matchups.

Hell the sack that basically ended the Cinci playoff game was from the edge.

5 minutes ago, xen said:

Not sure why, its what allowed him to up his sack total last year.  It wasn't great the year before last when they were experimenting with it but last year it was very effective when they used CJ at end as they were targeted specific matchups.

Hell the sack that basically ended the Cinci playoff game was from the edge.

Because he's far less effective outside. I really don't recall any of his sacks coming from the outside but I could just have faulty memory. I was thinking that the last sack was more him aligned as like a 4i/5 with a wide edge at 7, but again... I'm aging like fine wine.

1 minute ago, kccrow said:

Because he's far less effective outside. I really don't recall any of his sacks coming from the outside but I could just have faulty memory. I was thinking that the last sack was more him aligned as like a 4i/5 with a wide edge at 7, but again... I'm aging like fine wine.

I think people are traumatized by 2021 when he kinda sucked at it.  He was much much better last year and it's hard to keep track cause they moved him around so much in 2022.  I think he literally got a sack from each position last year.  CJ is the most underrated defender in the NFL, mostly cause AD is an absolute freak.

4 minutes ago, xen said:

I think people are traumatized by 2021 when he kinda sucked at it.  He was much much better last year and it's hard to keep track cause they moved him around so much in 2022.  I think he literally got a sack from each position last year.  CJ is the most underrated defender in the NFL, mostly cause AD is an absolute freak.

You're right, they bumped Karlaftis and Dunlap down to DT and put Danna and Jones at DE. 

Either way, I like our best interior pass rusher on the inside and our best exterior pass rushers on the outside as a primary rule. They exploited a matchup, I'd guess, but it's not something I want to see as regularly outside of that in 2023.

There may be some plays with Jones and FAU on the outside and Karlaftis and Omenihu inside.  It all depends on matchups and KC has the flexibility to create good ones.  Who will match up with OBJ on passing downs when they play CINN?

52 minutes ago, jetlord said:

There may be some plays with Jones and FAU on the outside and Karlaftis and Omenihu inside.  It all depends on matchups and KC has the flexibility to create good ones.  Who will match up with OBJ on passing downs when they play CINN?

Hard to say until we see them on the field.  Maybe FAU but he also may get swallowed up a ton.  

6 hours ago, azchief21 said:

Was Cullen in JAX when they had Ngakoue?

3 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Not sure. Didn't really know to much about him till he went to the Viqueens, my brother's team. Had a couple nice seasons but nobody wants to keep him

Cullen was the dline coach for the Ravens in 2020, so he coached Ngakoue for a short time after the Vikings traded to Balt.