Chiefs sign OT Donovan Smith

Seems like they had plans to move up for a tackle and either couldn’t move up far enough or no one would trade with them.   

Could be insurance in case Taylor struggles on the left side.  

Would like to see the numbers of this deal.

Worth up to $9 million doesn't mean that's what it will do to the cap.  Probably a low base with incentives not likely to be met.  Sounds like insurance, not a guarantee that Smith will be starting and if he doesn't start, he won't be getting that $9 million.  Guess that's all speculation until details are released.  

LT: Donovan Smith
LG: Joe Thuney
C : Creed Humphrey 
RG: Trey Smith
RT: Jawaan Taylor

Gives Taylor another year to ease into LT or for us find a new one. Keeping him at RT makes sense as that is where he plays best and is one of the best. If he is the LT then Smith would be a back up which would be one expensive back up.

I like the pickup. Had him in a few early mocks at the shitstain message board. I think he's at least solid depth. "Up to 9 million" to me means it's probably a contract a lot like JuJu's was where it's really 3 million and will escalate with playtime, post-season advancement, and personal awards. 

Nothing wrong with it. He's never been a really "good" LT but he's definitely been a serviceable player that's no worse than Brown. It definitely puts pressure on Niang to step up and that's a good thing. 

I like the move, solid LT until injury and will look to bounce back in a contract year. Veach understands that his #1 job is to protect Mahomes and I guess he didn't like the options in the draft. Pretty sure the figures are inflated with incentives similar to Juju.

10 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Seems like they had plans to move up for a tackle and either couldn’t move up far enough or no one would trade with them.   

Could be insurance in case Taylor struggles on the left side.  

Would like to see the numbers of this deal.

my immediate thought as well

11 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

They did move up for a Tackle.

11 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I'm guessing they moved up for a future starter on either side (2024?) but weren't in a position to move up for a 2023 starter so just pulled the trigger on a stop gap. With a late pick each year it's not very likely that we'll be in a position to draft an immediate starter so any transition is a 2-year process. 

20 minutes ago, xen said:

Personally I think they're just hedging their bets.  Can't wait to see the details.  I'd be surprised if this is not an incentive heavy contract with our cap space.

your probably right and if it works out it's a major win for both parties. I was eading some comments on Bucc's wire. No one is ringing heir hands because of his loss at same time not 100% confident in his replacement and saying he'll be no worse than Brown if healthy. The OT  competition should be epic.

27 minutes ago, xen said:

Personally I think they're just hedging their bets.  Can't wait to see the details.  I'd be surprised if this is not an incentive heavy contract with our cap space.

Curious how that works. Are all incentives counted towards the next year's cap or are some pre-allocated from this year?

I love the move.

Competition for Playing Time is at the core of the organization.  Patrick Mahomes  and WINNING is what makes KC such a great place to compete.

KC learned a valuable lesson is SB 55......

We can have a fleet of average to above average WR's as long as we keep Mahomes clean and Kelce is healthy.

w

2 minutes ago, West said:

I love the move.

Competition for Playing Time is at the core of the organization.  Patrick Mahomes  and WINNING is what makes KC such a great place to compete.

KC learned a valuable lesson is SB 55......

We can have a fleet of average to above average WR's as long as we keep Mahomes clean and Kelce is healthy.

w

"Let's be great today."