Chiefs sign OT Donovan Smith

30 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Curious how that works. Are all incentives counted towards the next year's cap or are some pre-allocated from this year?

It entirely depends on how they're structured.

Could be bonuses based on starts, i.e. 250k per start.  

If the bonuses are metric based, then if they reached those metrics during the year prior they count on current years cap (aka LTBE aka likely to be earned incentives).  If they didn't reach the metrics in the prior year they are NLTBE aka Not LTBE and count towards the next year's cap only if they are earned.  

For example, if I have a bonus for starting 7 games but started 6 games last year they are NLTBE.  If I hit 7 starts and earn the bonus it counts towards the following years cap.  If i start 6 games again the bonus just goes away.

Another thing to consider, other than he was hurt, is the fact Brady was not mobule back there. Mahomrles will bide him plenty of time and throws quickly if needed. He made Brown better, i think he will do the same for this guy too.

11 hours ago, kkuenn said:

LT: Donovan Smith
LG: Joe Thuney
C : Creed Humphrey 
RG: Trey Smith
RT: Jawaan Taylor

Gives Taylor another year to ease into LT or for us find a new one. Keeping him at RT makes sense as that is where he plays best and is one of the best. If he is the LT then Smith would be a back up which would be one expensive back up.

I'm not that quick to give Smith the starting LT job.  He's given up sacks and has quite a few holding penalties so he has to earn the job.  With Taylor, Niang, Morris, and Prince, assuming Kinnard is moved to interior line, there will be competition.  Taylor is a sure starter.  The other three will have to sort it out in TC. 

11 hours ago, kkuenn said:

LT: Donovan Smith
LG: Joe Thuney
C : Creed Humphrey 
RG: Trey Smith
RT: Jawaan Taylor

Gives Taylor another year to ease into LT or for us find a new one. Keeping him at RT makes sense as that is where he plays best and is one of the best. If he is the LT then Smith would be a back up which would be one expensive back up.

Dupe

1 hour ago, KC Warpaint said:

it baffles me how many still continue to doubt Veach because he did not sign or trade for a High Priced player like DHOP, yet he still keeps turning over this roster on a yearly basis.

I quit criticizing him. 

I think he is being brought in to be depth and push Taylor at LT. Having a veteran back up can help Taylor in the transition

LT- Taylor, Smith

LG- Thuney, Kinnard

C- Humphrey, Allegretti

RG- Smith, Kinnard/Allegretti

RT- Niang/Morris

19 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I think he is being brought in to be depth and push Taylor at LT. Having a veteran back up can help Taylor in the transition

LT- Taylor, Smith

LG- Thuney, Kinnard

C- Humphrey, Allegretti

RG- Smith, Kinnard/Allegretti

RT- Niang/Morris

So where does Prince Wannabangher fit in? 

6 hours ago, ChiefThunder said:

Yeah I think Prince is on bubble. I feel the kid from Tennessee will push Kinnard

The Tennessee kid, Carvin, is more out an Allegretti replacement. A G/C type. Kinnard is a G/RT guy. 
good to have both on the team. 

I’d actually like to see Prince get center and guard reps this off-season

4 million dollar base. Up to 9 million w incentives according to Nate Taylor. With us being up against it cap wise, that tells me he is starting.

That doesn't seem like a ton of money until you look at the Chiefs cap table. Then you realize he's the 10th highest paid player on the team. 

I honestly think Wanya may have been brought in here to be our LT of the future. He played more left than right in college and by all accounts is a very good athlete.

I think they watched Wylie all year and counted their lucky stars he didn't somehow get our QB hurt or lose us a big game. Then they said to themselves " that's never fucking happening again." And then paid Taylor.

If Smith is already penciled in at LT, we had better hope he's back to 2020/21 form or we'll be wishing OBJ was back.  At least with Taylor at RT, only one tackle will need TE help every play.  Guess that's a step up.  So what do Niang and Morris do besides warm the bench?  

14 minutes ago, jetlord said:

If Smith is already penciled in at LT, we had better hope he's back to 2020/21 form or we'll be wishing OBJ was back.  At least with Taylor at RT, only one tackle will need TE help every play.  Guess that's a step up.  So what do Niang and Morris do besides warm the bench?  

Niang becomes the backup swing tackle and Morris gets a year to adjust to the NFL. Honestly, that doesn't sound too bad to me. 

34 minutes ago, Boone said:

Niang becomes the backup swing tackle and Morris gets a year to adjust to the NFL. Honestly, that doesn't sound too bad to me. 

I agree. I think it bodes well for the starters and for depth.

5 hours ago, Boone said:

Maybe it gives Morris a year to adjust and at LT too?

5 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I don’t like the idea of just giving Smith the LT as he was bad last year. I know,I know he has an injury. But he has always been penalty prone and just above average as a tackle.  

i hope there is still competition and that the best is chosen. Not just give out to the veteran. 
but in Andy I will trust