Chiefs sign OT Donovan Smith

9 hours ago, Palangi said:

Maybe it gives Morris a year to adjust and at LT too?

I think this is what's taking place. From what I've read he is very athletic with very good feet. It sounds like technique and consistency were more of his issue. I haven't found many scouting reports that pigeon hole him as a RT prospect only. 

Again, these aren't nfl scouts or front office execs putting these together. But the point remains. He was a 5 star recruit and has played more LT than RT in college. 

This could be the plan at LT. And regardless having Smith/ Taylor as starters and Morris/Niang as backups is fantastic depth. We won the SB with a backup masquerading as a starting RT and a RT masquerading as a LT. We no longer have that problem. 

#InVeachWeTrust

11 hours ago, Palangi said:

Maybe it gives Morris a year to adjust and at LT too?

Based on the Smith signing I'm guessing that's the plan. It's nice to have a day one starter at any position but very unlikely at OT with a late pick in early rounds. That means we have to always think about a year ahead in terms of both OTs and we may see a pattern successfully executed with Morris even though I think that's what they planned for Niang back in the day as well.

49 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Based on the Smith signing I'm guessing that's the plan. It's nice to have a day one starter at any position but very unlikely at OT with a late pick in early rounds. That means we have to always think about a year ahead in terms of both OTs and we may see a pattern successfully executed with Morris even though I think that's what they planned for Niang back in the day as well.

It just makes sense with the move for Donovan. 
i know a lot of people get hung up on the contract of Taylor and him being a RT. But I believe in todays game the RT is just a important now. A lot of to pass rushers either move around or are out on RTs. 
and it has worked out for Philly. They put big money into Lane Johnson. Then brought a LT along

13 minutes ago, Palangi said:

i know a lot of people get hung up on the contract of Taylor and him being a RT. But I believe in todays game the RT is just a important now. A lot of to pass rushers either move around or are out on RTs. 
and it has worked out for Philly. They put big money into Lane Johnson. Then brought a LT along

Yep, and AFC West is full of pass rushers on either side so no investment on either side is a bad thing.

23 minutes ago, Palangi said:

If Mitch Schwartz was signing today at the same age as Taylor I'd happily give him the Taylor contract.  I'm fine with it.

Smith allowed allowed 31 pressures and 6 sacks last season while his 12 accepted penalties against were the most of any player in the NFL last season.

This was with him having injuries. Hopefully he is full health and can be coached up a bit to get the pnlenalties down.  The year prior he allowed just one sack next to a great LG he had in TB. He now comes next to Thuney.

Now what was it that OBJ gave up while he was here next to Thuney and had help plus was healthy.

Mahomes also made the tackles look better. I would assume he will do it again for Smith too.

I do not think Smith is some huge upgrade. He is a mid level LT who had a rough year last year with injuries.  That said he also was blocking for a ancient statue.  I wonder if part of all those holding over the years were it’s better to get a holding than to get Tom killed?   Mahomes has made some crappy tackles look pretty decent.    I do think Smith and Taylor are a huge upgrade over Wylie and Brown and this give Morris a year to see if he can be a starter LT in the L.   If not we have our swing tackle and we try again next off-season.  

Smith should absolutely be the starter at LT, with zero questions asked. 

I've said before that expecting a career RT will suddenly be a valid option at LT was wishful thinking. Jawaan Taylor remaining on the right side is the best component of signing Smith. Let's not forget, Taylor pretty well sucked ass and many thought he could be a failure up until the past season and a quarter or so. You hope he continues 2022 going forward and doesn't revert to the pre-2022 form. Expecting him to move to LT and to continue to play at a high level was a significant mistake in my opinion. 

You couple that with the fact that Donovan Smith, sans injury, has been far better than Brown at conceding pressures throughout his career, and you have the makings of a really good offensive line this year. Signing Smith was the best possible move Veach could make and I honestly thought it would cost $20m per to attain his services. The fact Veach got him for a backup salary is amazing and proof that teams have become exceedingly fickle when good players have a down year. 

On 5/9/2023 at 11:08 AM, kkuenn said:

Smith allowed allowed 31 pressures and 6 sacks last season while his 12 accepted penalties against were the most of any player in the NFL last season.

This was with him having injuries. Hopefully he is full health and can be coached up a bit to get the pnlenalties down.  The year prior he allowed just one sack next to a great LG he had in TB. He now comes next to Thuney.

Now what was it that OBJ gave up while he was here next to Thuney and had help plus was healthy.

Mahomes also made the tackles look better. I would assume he will do it again for Smith too.

Martez Manuel (from your tweet quote) was waived today... guess the detail work was too much? 

it makes sense for the team to start out. You are exceptional at all spots but LT. You have a vet competing at LT. Prince is no slouch and neither is Taylor. Smith better be healthy and ready to up his game or he will be the #2 LT. 

I think that he is a long way from being the Starting LT on opening day. He will probably win it, but he will have to beat out other guys. 
I think Taylor may still end up at LT. I think Morris has a shot at RT. Playing next to Trey in college is a pretty nice thing. Who knows what will happen.