Chiefs sign OT Donovan Smith

Sorry if I don't question a good player that had a down year because of injury as much as I question a bunch of other dudes that never played. You want show me? Show me Taylor can play LT half as well as he can RT, which up until 2022 wasn't very good. With that, show me Taylor wasn't a flash in the pan at RT. Show me Morris is ever going to amount to shit, much less a LT in the NFL. Show me that Prince has developed beyond a special teams roster waste. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Not saying it will happen again, but those who are gushing over Smith as the answer at LT may be forgetting the excitement of the LB problem being solved by the signing of Kendrick Bell.  

// signed by a resident of the Show ME state. 

lol who's gushing?  He's a competent LT when healthy and his cap hit is less than 3 mil.  Really having to dig for Bell there?  Our tackles before this was a really good RT, a RT that hasn't started much due to health, a career backup that's never started and a 3rd round rookie who probably needs a year to get his feet right.

On paper this makes us better so relax.

lol I guess crow already got to this ridiculousness.  Even a replacement level player is worth it if the rest of the line holds up.  You can scheme around that easily. When both tackles can't hold up on an island it's much harder.

20 hours ago, kccrow said:

No doubt. Made over $50m as a player and would make 400k a year as a position coach. Sounds really enticing. 

He's one of the more intelligent ones, so I can see him moving up but obviously that's with my very limited info. 

12 hours ago, xen said:

lol who's gushing?  He's a competent LT when healthy and his cap hit is less than 3 mil.  Really having to dig for Bell there?  Our tackles before this was a really good RT, a RT that hasn't started much due to health, a career backup that's never started and a 3rd round rookie who probably needs a year to get his feet right.

On paper this makes us better so relax.

The point is pretty simple.  Smith, at his best, is an upgrade over OBJ at  much lower cost.  But to assume he will play at his 2021 level rather than last season when he was hurting is premature.  Why do you suppose he was available at that cost if he's solid as a starter.  There's questions about whether the Chiefs have found their LT for the season.  Some here seem to think the matter is closed.  If using the term "gushing" was inappropriate, then, well, I'm not an English major.  

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

The point is pretty simple.  Smith, at his best, is an upgrade over OBJ at  much lower cost.  But to assume he will play at his 2021 level rather than last season when he was hurting is premature.  Why do you suppose he was available at that cost if he's solid as a starter.  There's questions about whether the Chiefs have found their LT for the season.  Some here seem to think the matter is closed.  If using the term "gushing" was inappropriate, then, well, I'm not an English major.  

That's why I said on paper.  That part was probably hard to understand though, not being an English major and all.