Hopkins released

I have a hunch that the Bills offered more than the Chiefs before he was cut.  IIRC he was talking highly of Mahomes at one point then pivoted to Josh Allen.  I know a lot of fans talk about these guys wanting a ring and possibly taking less to get one but the reality is they are only really concerned about money.  If they can do both so be it but I'd say 98% are gonna chase the cash over a ring.   I mean Tyreek Hill traded a chance for a historic legacy and SB's for 2 million more a year and a meh qb.  Don't blame him or hate him for it just pointing out that money is the most important thing to these guys and it would probably be the same for us if we were in their shoes.   

19 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Buffalo with top 51 has around 1.476 mil cap space. Not like they can go all out to get him unless they do restructure etc. We can do the same thing with Jones extension if needed.  Link shows a good article on teams that have cap space and where the Chiefs and Bills sit at currently.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nfl/news/deandre-hopkins-contract-cowboys-eagles-cardinals-release/j66lke2bpjwsji3kapkrrndl

So basically nobody has the cap to sign him. Let's see if he wants an incentive based ring deal.

16 hours ago, xen said:

Guess we'll find out if he really wants a ring or the moat money.  Would be easy to structure a contract for KC as his limited season last year makes for some super easy NLTBE incentives.

It's such a tough call. Do we have faith in the current WR room, and if so would it be better to shore up our defensive line? We know Patrick can take average WRs and make them above average. I think we have a pretty solid lineup right now. If we can get a little stronger on the DL... if we can reduce opponents' points per game... I like our odds a whole lot better. Not sure how much re-signing Clark (or some other available defensive lineman) will reduce opponents' total scoring, but these 'whomever gets the ball last' games are kicking my ass.

3 hours ago, mex said:

It's such a tough call. Do we have faith in the current WR room, and if so would it be better to shore up our defensive line? We know Patrick can take average WRs and make them above average. I think we have a pretty solid lineup right now. If we can get a little stronger on the DL... if we can reduce opponents' points per game... I like our odds a whole lot better. Not sure how much re-signing Clark (or some other available defensive lineman) will reduce opponents' total scoring, but these 'whomever gets the ball last' games are kicking my ass.

I am all for upgrading.  Hopkins would be the better version of Schuster from last year. It would allow depth in case of any injury. Rice will be in his first year, so Hopkins for one year will allow him to learn. All the while we see also what we have in the others. 

Clark brings depth. His has experience but he is not an upgrade as I see FAU taking half a year to get going like big George did.  I see Omenihu sliding inside and out on the line. Clark would be good to have, but if we could find solid DT vet, I think that would help even more.

13 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I have a hunch that the Bills offered more than the Chiefs before he was cut.  IIRC he was talking highly of Mahomes at one point then pivoted to Josh Allen.  I know a lot of fans talk about these guys wanting a ring and possibly taking less to get one but the reality is they are only really concerned about money.  If they can do both so be it but I'd say 98% are gonna chase the cash over a ring.   I mean Tyreek Hill traded a chance for a historic legacy and SB's for 2 million more a year and a meh qb.  Don't blame him or hate him for it just pointing out that money is the most important thing to these guys and it would probably be the same for us if we were in their shoes.   

Maybe you're painting with too broad of a brush.  There are players who are happy with their money and want to win.  Brady could have gotten more during his glory years.  Mahomes claims that he's happy with his current situation and wants a good team around him.  Money is the major factor in many cases, I'm sure, but there is a point where getting more just for the sake of higher numbers isn't the top priority.  A sign of maturity is keeping it in perspective.  Do we know that Hopkins is one of those that puts top dollar ahead of winning?  After the last season at AZ, winning might look more attractive.  

20 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

KC didn't offer 28 per (which would be 3 mil difference from what he got).  It was a much much bigger difference in average value.  I doubt we even sniffed 28 per territory in our last offer.  

I'd be okay if they added Hopkins. But the numbers have to make sense....and DHop would need to understand that WR1 is Travis Kelce. A lot has been made about the potential for Toney to develop into a #1. Let him prove he can stay healthy and be productive for an entire season and then he becomes #1 WR in 2024.

Personally, I think Hopkins is gonna wind up in Buffalo. They are desperate to get to a SB with Allen and all that's been hyped about them the past couple of years. 

12 hours ago, xen said:

KC didn't offer 28 per (which would be 3 mil difference from what he got).  It was a much much bigger difference in average value.  I doubt we even sniffed 28 per territory in our last offer.  

That would be too much with a QB like Mahomes. Sure makes things easier but that much money tied to a single non-QB position is worrisome. Glad he left and brought us a whole bunch of picks.

23 hours ago, mex said:

YUP

4 hours ago, dhitter said:

I'd be okay if they added Hopkins. But the numbers have to make sense....and DHop would need to understand that WR1 is Travis Kelce. A lot has been made about the potential for Toney to develop into a #1. Let him prove he can stay healthy and be productive for an entire season and then he becomes #1 WR in 2024.

Personally, I think Hopkins is gonna wind up in Buffalo. They are desperate to get to a SB with Allen and all that's been hyped about them the past couple of years. 

I also think he ends up in Buffalo, but I think Allen will be strained to give both guys enough touches the keep one or both happy.  I’m not convinced Diggs will be able to handle less touches, last year was a sign of that.  Pressure will on Allen to produce and barring any serious injuries it could be harder than he thinks to win.  

I think he’s a good guy but I already can’t stand him due to Kyle playing on the team. All the family cheer leading going is going to be interesting family dinner banter that’s for sure. 

5 hours ago, dhitter said:

Lots of teams are desperate to win.  Cincy is just as high on that list as the Bills.  Even teams that have won in the past are desperate to get back there.  The Bills, Chiefs, and any other team that think DHop will make them better contenders are in the running if the price is right.  I don't think the Bills are a team that needs another #1 receiver.  And the way Mahomes spreads the ball around, the Chiefs may not need a #1 at all as long as Kelce is playing at top level.  I'd like Hopkins to play for the Chiefs, but not at the cost of a future contract for one of the core players already here.  

If this is true, after saying he would restructure to make it work for a winning team etc. He can go fuck himself and continue to lose. Also going to have to see what is up with his agent. Anyone know?

According to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, Hopkins is expecting “significant” deal from any team he signs with. In addition to the final expectations of wanting to remain one of the highest-paid NFL players, teams are also uneasy about negotiating with Hopkins’ representative Saint Omni, who the NFL has warned teams about.

https://sportsnaut.com/deandre-hopkins-free-agency-rumor-contract/

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

If this is true, after saying he would restructure to make it work for a winning team etc. He can go fuck himself and continue to lose. Also going to have to see what is up with his agent. Anyone know?

According to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, Hopkins is expecting “significant” deal from any team he signs with. In addition to the final expectations of wanting to remain one of the highest-paid NFL players, teams are also uneasy about negotiating with Hopkins’ representative Saint Omni, who the NFL has warned teams about.

https://www.sportscasting.com/who-is-saint-omni-nfl-keyser-soze-got-players-175m-offseason/

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Dunno if its true or not but just wanted to say Floio can fuck off for the shit stirring he is doing with Mahomes.  

28 minutes ago, arrowhead said:

What do you think Clark will be asking for?

I'd think the numbers have to be similar. 

If it comes down to him or DHop, DHop every time.

At the same cost, who could help us more? I'm not certain DHop could help us more. I'm open to convincing. 

29 minutes ago, mex said:

At the same cost, who could help us more? I'm not certain DHop could help us more. I'm open to convincing. 

DHop will stress out a defense. Not sure Moore, MVS, Rice will do that. If Toney stays healthy and lives up to the hype, imagine Kelce, DHop, Toney and if one of those previous 3 flashes, Patrick will set new records.

I think Clark is out of gas. 

55 minutes ago, arrowhead said:

DHop will stress out a defense. Not sure Moore, MVS, Rice will do that. If Toney stays healthy and lives up to the hype, imagine Kelce, DHop, Toney and if one of those previous 3 flashes, Patrick will set new records.

I think Clark is out of gas. 

Well, I'm no Clark defender by any stretch... but I think adding to our DL could get us to a top 5 defense. With a great defense, MVS, Moore, Toney, and Kelce will make a formidable offense, with Rice as a solid backup.  When we lost Reek I thought our O was in for a backwards step. Instead, the passing offense improved in almost every category. This is why I'm not sure we need to overload on weapons. 

The defense on the other hand...

2 minutes ago, mex said:

Well, I'm no Clark defender by any stretch... but I think adding to our DL could get us to a top 5 defense. With a great defense, MVS, Moore, Toney, and Kelce will make a formidable offense, with Rice as a solid backup.  When we lost Reek I thought our O was in for a backwards step. Instead, the passing offense improved in almost every category. This is why I'm not sure we need to overload on weapons. 

The defense on the other hand...

Secondary, one of the best in the NFL. Added some players in the draft, set for the long term.

LB group, strong with very good depth.

DLine. Not as big an issue as some make it out to be. Clark will certainly not fix it. 

1 minute ago, arrowhead said:

Secondary, one of the best in the NFL. Added some players in the draft, set for the long term.

LB group, strong with very good depth.

DLine. Not as big an issue as some make it out to be. Clark will certainly not fix it. 

not necessarily pushing for clark... if you were paying attention this season I was one of the few giving him hell

there are quite a few edge and interior DL guys still available... clark has a ton of rings... but there are others who don't, and might could work cheap.