Hopkins released

the fact that we have not heard from Brett nor Andy that D-Hop is NOT on the radar has me concerned. I don't see much value in being suspenseful since the Chiefs have no Cap room so it is not as if the Chiefs will make the likes of the Bills, Ravens or anyone else for that matter over pay. I'll be glad when this silliness is over.

I'm in the no need for D-Hop category but really hope he goes to the NFC  

14 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I don’t think Dhop moves the needle enough to pay as much as some. He is better than ant WR on the roster, but we have a great group of potential 2s.

MVS, Sky, Rice, Toney are locks. 

Watson is guaranteed money to where they seem to plan on keeping him.

James has a skill set that will be hard to cut. 
John Ross has blazing speed and huge upside.

Justin Ross has great length and athleticism. 

I don’t see Dhop being enough bang for our buck. 

We've never really seen what Justyn is capable of doing... I think this kid is a potential stud and if he ever gets healthy this is a guy who Patrick might could turn into something. 

Richie might could be a surprise too. This guy doesn't have blazing speed or size, but he fits right into Andy's playbook with his running ability. He might not be a great route guy, but he's terrific on jet sweeps, reverses, and motion plays etc which we all know Andy loves.

Watson is a solid #2... and seems to be developing a rapport with Patrick though he wasn't used much. Not having him in the AFCCG definitely hurt us.

14 minutes ago, arthur75 said:

I don't see it. I just do not think you win championships with a QB that runs better than he throws. It will win you alot of games but come playoff time you better have a damn good throwing QB. And in my opinion Lamar is not that guy. I would of let him walk in free agency. My hope is that all these media idiots that kept saying pay him pay him when the Raverns have buyers remorse that they come forward and say oops my bad.

Dhop has said that LJ was one of the QBs that he wants to play with and the Ravens do have around 11.5 in cap space avail.  While you are exactly right about LJ Im not sure the players or at least Dhop sees him that way.   Ravens probably want as much WR talent around him to help him look good as a passer to justify the contract they gave him.  

19 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

the fact that we have not heard from Brett nor Andy that D-Hop is NOT on the radar has me concerned. I don't see much value in being suspenseful since the Chiefs have no Cap room so it is not as if the Chiefs will make the likes of the Bills, Ravens or anyone else for that matter over pay. I'll be glad when this silliness is over.

Does the NFC have a passing game? :lol: 

Bills Wire

What do NFL front offices think of free agent DeAndre Hopkins?

Nick Wojton
Thu, June 1, 2023 at 11:45 AM CDT

It’s a mixed bag of answers if you’re wondering what NFL front office executives think about free agent DeAndre Hopkins.

The All-Pro wideout is without a team after the Arizona Cardinals released him. The Buffalo Bills and Kansas City Chiefs were teams that reportedly engaged in trade talks for Hopkins but neither pulled the trigger.

Separate reports have noted Hopkins wants to still be paid like a top receiver and he isn’t necessarily chasing a Super Bowl ring at a discount price… although, a ring would be nice for him.

Considering that, it could cost a team some dollars in the near future add Hopkins–But is the 31-year-old worth it?

You’d be hard pressed to find a general manager or other front office member in the NFL that would go on the record to give their thoughts. However, Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer asked a few of those types for their thoughts… anonymously.

It’s the best we’ve got… and even in that, there’s a lot of grey area.

Per Breer, front offices are torn on Hopkins. Some think he’s still got it. Others don’t.

The full breakdown via SI can be found below:

That said, there’s a healthy divide on exactly what Hopkins has left. I asked one veteran team executive what’s still there, and he answered, via text, “Not much. He can’t run anymore.” Another answer was pretty different—“He’s still a good player. Good route runner, big, physical target that can play a ball in the air. He’s still a threat.” And a third played both sides of it.

“Still great hands, he is not going to separate, not much of a deep threat, but very strong, and makes contested catches as well as anyone in the NFL,” the AFC exec said. “Does not love to practice—I can’t imagine that’ll get any better. And when things don’t go well, you’re always gonna be leery, All right, what kind of drama are we gonna get from this guy? When things are great, he’s great. When things go south, his true colors show a little bit.

“But he always shows up on game day. He’s gonna have to go to a team that knows what they’re getting. You cannot expect a perfect-attendance type of worker.”

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

The Chiefs have nothing to say until Jones is extended which should give them some millions to work with this year.  Maybe they have an oral deal for some amount contingent on the Jones contract being signed.  I'd hope that's not the case.  Maybe DHop's agent is counting on the Chiefs being in position to offer a contract after Jones signs and is holding out until he sees if there's any gold there.  As previously posted, I'd like Hopkins on the roster for one year, maybe two.  The Chiefs offense would be better with him.  I'm opposed to giving him #1 WR money since that would surely mean not keeping some other starter next year.  

22 hours ago, kkuenn said:

They extended their DT. No idea if it gives them a lot of cap space for this year or not.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37789538/bills-ed-oliver-agree-4-year-68-million-extension-source-says

Depends on how the extension works with the 5th year option but the option itself is over 10 million so they could have saved some money if it's similar to extending a veteran. I doubt it would give them enough cap space though, they would probably have to create some more cap space and Allen is already playing with a lame cap hit which will triple next year so they need to carry over as much as they can.

• Catch rate: 81.4%
  • xCatch: 70.4%
  • CROE: +11%

When the infographic detailing these rankings is posted, the internet just might burn to the ground.

In a league filled with superstars at the receiver position, James is likely among the last players anyone would expect to land atop a receiving ranking. His placement here fits the narrative that the Giants built in 2022, when they exceeded expectations by a significant margin. James was among those who benefitted the most, setting career-high marks in receptions (57), receiving yards (569) and receiving touchdowns (four).

Last season was the first in which James reached any of the benchmarks needed to qualify for this list, and it was only the second campaign in which he saw more than 14 targets. So why does James land here? His catch rate over expected was better than that of any other receiver who met the aforementioned criteria. He helped quarterbacks targeting him post a 119.6 passer rating, the third-best mark of any pass catcher on this list. And of his 70 targets, only 13 resulted in incompletions. That's a catch rate befitting a running back snagging swing passes, not a receiver running through a defense.

James is not a household name, but that's the beauty of Next Gen Stats -- they help us see beyond the headliners. And with his performance in 2022, James earned a move to Kansas City, where he'll have a golden opportunity to boost his profile to a greater degree.

14 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I got no idea who that big eyed goomer is..maybe a link to an actual article would be helpful

See, you take your mouse... then move that little pointy thing on the screen and click when it's over the big eyed goomer... then all will be revealed

It's a miracle of modern technology

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, mex said:

He would add to our chances at a repeat no doubt.

I see him like a Sammy Watkins... only healthier and more productive.

A healthy Hopkins could do more than a healthy Watkins.  Hopkins could make more contested catches and has a bigger catch radius.  It's a matter of how much age has taken out of him.